It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Radiation Management 101

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Solar Radiation Management 101
SRM is a term used to describe the injection of particles into the stratosphere to combat global warming. It has been discussed for years and the process is well understood. The effects and possible problems are not so well understood. Which is why there is a great deal of apprehension on the subject.
To date, none of the scientific articles have stated that ANY studies have been done outside of a laboratory. There was a test proposed to release some particulates from a balloon, but the project was scrapped. (project spice) www.spice.ac.uk...
www.nature.com...

NASA has done some testing for various reasons using rockets.

The Equatorial Vortex Experiment (EVEX) was successfully conducted during the early morning hours (eastern time) May 7 from Roi Namur, Republic of the Marshall Islands. A NASA Terrier-Oriole sounding rocket was launched at 3:39 a.m. EDT and was followed by a launch of Terrier-Improved Malemute sounding rocket 90 seconds later. Preliminary indications are that both rockets released their vapor clouds of lithium or trimethyl aluminum, which were observed from various locations in the area, and all science instruments on the rockets worked as planned. More information on EVEX can be found at › www.nasa.gov...

NASA launched a barrage of small rockets early Tuesday (March 27), with five rockets blasting off within five minutes to create glowing clouds at the edge of space that wowed skywatchers all along the U.S. East Coast.

The rocket launches capped nearly a week of vexing delays for NASA's Anomalous Transport Rocket Experiment, or ATREX. The five suborbital rockets launched to the edge of space more than 60 miles (97 kilometers) above Earth and released a chemical tracer known as trimethyl aluminum.

One of five sounding rockets launches on March 27, 2012 as part of the ATREX mission from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island in Virginia to light up the predawn sky with glowing clouds at the edge of space.
Each of the rockets released a chemical tracer that created milky, white clouds at the edge of space," NASA officials said in a statement. "The launches and clouds were reported to be seen from as far south as Wilmington, N.C.; west to Charlestown, W. Va.; and north to Buffalo, N.Y."

www.space.com...

In the study of SRM, it's very important to understand what is being discussed and why. There are several groups dedicated to monitoring this subject and any activity.
www.irgc.org...
www.srmgi.org...

In the objective study of this subject, there are a lot of misleading articles pointing to "chemtrails", which is a fringe theory not based on scientific fact at all. It's important to understand how to know you are seeing real information. I recommend using scholar.google.com to find information, as most of what you find will be peer reviewed papers.
Link to google using the scholar tag about SRM

This thread is here to present some basic information about real Geo-engineering. It's not exciting nor filled with cool pictures of clouds or contrails. Nor does it bring HAARP into the discussion. If you really want to learn about HAARP, go to the University of Fairbanks Alaska and take a class in it. They now own and operate the entire facility.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Quote from your quote:

"Preliminary indications are that both rockets released their vapor clouds of lithium or trimethyl aluminum,"

I do thank you for the sources and will look into them.

However, I, for one, don't need nor want, 'lithium' or 'trimethyl aluminum' in the air I breathe. Particulates makes it all sound so harmless where the fact is we and other species don't need more polluting (and convoluting) substances in a material fundamental to life.

This may - I repeat may - be the least harmful solution to global warming (and I suspect the least expense for vested energy insterests) but I strongly object to experimentation without full disclosure of possible side effects. In fact, are these organizations even considering long term consequences of these actions.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

If you look closely at that article, the amount of the substance that was released was minuscule. It wasn't sprayed for any sinister purpose, but to be tracked to better understand wind drift at such a high altitude. I agree that I don't want anything sprayed above me, which is why I try to discuss this topic to alert people to the reality instead of the fear.

If you find different information than I posted, please openly correct me.

ETA: It should be noted that this wasn't a secret, nor was it suppressed in any way. It was openly discussed and reported on. If you start paying attention to the real stuff and not the fantasy, you find that they announce these things in advance so the public can be informed.
edit on 11-9-2015 by network dude because: added pertinent factoid.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

If you look at this link, you can see the physical size of the rockets used. based on the size alone, you can see that the amount of anything released 120 miles up would dissipate long before it came down, if it ever did. (but again, I am not a fan of anything released above my head, but I understand the need for science to understand things)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Quote from your quote:

"Preliminary indications are that both rockets released their vapor clouds of lithium or trimethyl aluminum,"

I do thank you for the sources and will look into them.

However, I, for one, don't need nor want, 'lithium' or 'trimethyl aluminum' in the air I breathe. P

To all intents and purposes you don't.

They are released many 10's of miles high - essentially in space!

TMA burns so doesn't exist after a few seconds.

ETA: perhaps as much as 300 tons of cosmic dust falls to earth every day - containing pretty much pretty much every element you an think of.

edit on 11-9-2015 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

www.space.com...

Here let me add to this...

svs.gsfc.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join