It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky: Oath Keepers Say They Will Protect Kim Davis From The Law

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Do you mean legal challenges in court? Or just the talking heads? I know some folks are saying that Kentucky law requires the County Clerk to personally approve the licenses and it isn't that easy just to change the forms... others say that's not true and that it's procedural not legal issue...

It's this law that you're discussing here:
KY 402.080:

Marriage License Required -- Who May Issue: No marriage shall be solemnized without a license therefor. The license shall be issued by the clerk of the county in which the female resides at the time, unless the female is eighteen (18) years of age or over or a widow, and the license is issued on her application in person or by writing signed by her, in which case it may be issued by any county clerk.

That is pretty cut and dry about the county clerk issuing the licenses, but like with male homosexual marriages, this obviously needs re-written because there is no female involved, nor does there need to be anymore, regardless of the other two statutes that that mention homosexual marriage as being prohibited and the one referencing marriage as one man and one woman.

Like I said in your other post, Gov. Beshear needs to get off of his duff, call a special session, and amend these laws to negate further confusion, but heaven forbid a politician go above and beyond the minimum in order to make things run more smoothly.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Boadicea

Who changed the forms? State Congress? They still aren't in session. The Governor? I don't think so. The judge? Don't think so.

The deputy clerks changed the forms. All by their lonesome. And all the legal experts are saying that the forms are legal, and that a deputy clerk's signature is as good as the county clerk's signature. The only one saying they weren't legal was Kim Davis, through her attorney.

Don't tell me that Davis didn't know that the forms could be changed that way. She knew perfectly well it was legal. She was determined that NO same-sex marriage licenses would happen in HER county.

WOW...That could have been dialogue from the movie THX-1138.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Perfect!! So, we can group up all the religious lunatics at once, and in one swoop action take them all away

I love people who dedicate their whole life to a work of fiction... lol

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Who changed the forms? State Congress? They still aren't in session. The Governor? I don't think so. The judge? Don't think so.

I read that the forms were changed by the Rowan County Attorney. I can't find a link right now, so I don't know if that's true or not. But he is also stating that the KY law does not require her name or approval.

The deputy clerks changed the forms. All by their lonesome.

How could they do that? Are they pre-printed forms? Or printed as needed? Even the governor stated he could not change the forms.

And all the legal experts are saying that the forms are legal, and that a deputy clerk's signature is as good as the county clerk's signature. The only one saying they weren't legal was Kim Davis, through her attorney.

Okay. I won't argue... The only person in the whole world questioning the changes is Kim Davis....

Don't tell me that Davis didn't know that the forms could be changed that way. She knew perfectly well it was legal.

Okay, I won't tell you. You already know that she claimed the new forms were still not legal, and I've already told you that the governor stated he doesn't have the power to do so. But if you say that Kim knows it's legal for deputy clerks to change the form... okay.

She was determined that NO same-sex marriage licenses would happen in HER county.

Because you know exactly what is really in her heart and mind... um... yeah... okay... I believe that.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

In this case I cannot see any need for a "reasonable" accommodation as Kim Davis is being patently unreasonable by definition. My personal feeling is that she is deliberately and willfully engaging in irrational semantics with an intent to profit from it. She knows that there is a segment of the population who will eat this stuff up and that she will likely, at the least, do the lecture and "special guest" circuit for years to come and - all with nice fees coming her way. She might well end up with her own reality TV show out of this.

www.salon.com...

The expectation that part of the Davis strategy included playing the victim card and letting the donations roll in has been a real and present aspect of the case.

But crowdfunding has come under deeper scrutiny lately.

Earlier this year, the FTC began taking a closer look at platforms like Kickstarter.

This summer, Baltimore homeowner Julie Baker’s campaign to fight back against an alleged homophobic neighbor via a “relentlessly gay” display raised $43,500 in a few days — and serious questions about whether the whole thing was a hoax.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Anyone in any Religious order is also a protected group under this law.

This is perhaps the same one that parents who do not want their children vaccinated can apply for. I know I did it for my son when the were pushing the Hepatitis B vax on 7th graders. Even the Catholic parish schools push these types of vaccines. We were told that Hep B can be transmitted through food and that was the reason why the children were not allowed to share their lunches. The Missouri Dept of health told us it was a sexually transmitted disease and could go through kissing. It was incidentally the Hep B vax which was contaminated with the AIDS virus (complements of Litton Bionetics).
Anyway the government seems to be gearing up for mandating these including Gardasil. I know many parents were irate with Rick Perry over the Gardasil thing.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Gov. Beshear needs to get off of his duff, call a special session, and amend these laws to negate further confusion, but heaven forbid a politician go above and beyond the minimum in order to make things run more smoothly.

Thank you -- yes! None of this was necessary or proper. The governor knew the Supreme Court decision was coming and he should have been prepared to do his job and take care of business. It's been over two months. There is no good reason for this.

He needs to do his job.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I hope they get what they have coming to them if they obstruct justice as they promise to do. What amazes me about these Oathkeepers is that they OBVIOUSLY don't know the Constitution that they have taken an oath to defend!!! They think Davis was illegally arrested and detained! That's pure imagination!

And it's sickening to see so many people who REFUSE to delve into this matter to find the TRUTH, but instead spout nonsense, based only on their opinion or what they've heard from some right-wing nut jobs like Rush Limbaugh or Mile Huckabee!

Just to clear up a few legal impressions, the way KY law is now, the County Clerk's NAME (not signature) must appear on the license as the legal (not moral) authorization. The deputies can sign and issue the licenses. As far as what will happen, get the popcorn, baby, because this is gonna be a show! And it's going to be exciting to see a nation of secular law vs. a mob of religious theocracy fanatics "in the ring" together.

Here are excerpts of the actual Kentucky law, which will have to be changed at the next meeting of the legislature in January, if they choose to make the accommodation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Kentucky Statute 402.100
edit on 9/11/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This issue is null and void. She was released from jail and told (by the judge) not to interfere with her deputy commissioners were they to issue marriage lisences to gay couples. All of you Left Wing Taliban are contorting the issue to suit your agenda and trying to get people hurt and killed. She personally refused to issue Marriagelicensees. She wasn't trying to change the law, she just didn't want to do it herself. So everyone here who rallied behind that Muslim flight attendants right to not serve alcohol, should (through simple logic) be behind this woman. But you guys aren't logical. It's hilarious:

Gay couple wants to get married: This is no big deal, it's just two people who want to tie the knot, they aren't hurting anyone.

Gay couple goes to Christian bakeryfavorite say they don't want to make it but there's one down the street who would be willing to help you: ZOMG CHRISTIAN PATRIARCHY IS TRYING TO MAKE EVERYONE GO TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY AND EVEN THOUGH I DONT BELIEVE IN ETERNAL DAMNATION THEY THREATENED ME AND SAID I WAS GOING TO HELL!!!!!!

"Uh no sirs, we just follow our religion our own way, our book says a man shouldn't lay with another man and it's just a belief we hold"

IM TAKING YOU TO COURT AND FILING A LAWSUIT!

Meanwhile, half a world away some magazine draws a picture of some prophet who claims some deity talked to him and all good Muslims since then obey his command to not draw him

OMG, THIS IS AN ATTACK ON ISLAM, THEY ARE JUST A PEACEFUL RELIGION WHO ARE LISTENING TO THEIR PROPHET AND YOU ARE UN NECESSARILY PROVOKING THEM AND I STAND SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITHT THEM! I BELIEVE THE MEN WHO DID IT WERE JUST LOST SOULS AND IM SORRY THEY DIED! NOW EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO TALK WITH MY LAWYER ABOUT OUR MILLION DOLLAR LAWSUIT AGAINST THOSE EVIL CHRISTIAN BIBLE BASHERS WHO ARE OPPRESSING ME BY NOT MAKING ME A WEDDING CAKE!

Yes, that's exactly what you Liberals sound like.

She didn't want to issue marriage liscenses herself to gay couples because it violated her beliefs. I don't see why this is a huge issue when her deputy commissioners still can and have/will. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? That question is more profound and intriguing to me than why she for whatever reason believes what some 2000 year old book says.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I've been waiting for the GoFundMe

GoFundMe told her to Go Fund Herself.

They shut down the attempt.

(post by soaringhawk removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Are these the same clowns that showed up to protect Cliven Bundy?

Yep!
Same ones!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

So you're saying that you disagree with the Constitution and favor a Theocratic Dictatorship?

(post by soaringhawk removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

It would be in the best interest of the Oathkeepers to note the ones willing to bodyguard her. Guardering her from harm is one thing and I see no problem with this, though I don't see any one out to harm her. The group she pissed off just does not fit the profile for this kind of action ((normally the reporter shooter kind of changes this out look but how much I've not figured out yet)).

Now are they watching over her so she is not harmed, so that she can commit the same crime and not preform her duties or make sure she dose? That my one big question. If it's number two; if I was in the Oathkeepers I'd make a quick exit from that group.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero
The group she pissed off just does not fit the profile for this kind of action

There is no "group she pissed off" except the group of people who support the Constitution and the law of the land. That's a pretty big group. She refused to issue licenses to anyone.

Now are they watching over her so she is not harmed, so that she can commit the same crime and not preform her duties or make sure she dose? That my one big question. If it's number two; if I was in the Oathkeepers I'd make a quick exit from that group.

They're pledging to protect her from having to perform her duties.

(post by soaringhawk removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

the County Clerk's NAME (not signature) must appear on the license as the legal (not moral) authorization.

That is actually a very important point. By having her name on the license, she is making no moral judgments for or against same-sex marriage. All her name means is that the legal requirements have been met. What do the legal requirements (legal age, not a close relative, etc.) have to do with whether or not she personally approves? Nuttin'!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If this is the right and Davis does go back to jail for violating a federal order. If they stop the federal marshals from doing such, they would be in violation of several laws, One of those laws would be sedition, as they would be stopping a federal agent from doing his job.

The reality is that the Oath keepers are going to force a show down and it would be bad if violence were to break out. We can only hope that Davis will not interfere and things calm down.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

She personally refused to issue Marriagelicensees. She wasn't trying to change the law, she just didn't want to do it herself.

Not quite Chuck. Before her arrest, she ordered her clerks not to issue licenses to both straight and gay couples. Because she deemed her religious convictions more important than the rights of others. The law did not agree.

edit on 9/11/2015 by Klassified because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join