It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan to drop nukes on Mars to prepare for human life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
We're going to start questioning every African American about his nationality aren't we..first Obama and now Elon Musk. Interesting OP. Doubt people will go through with it though.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
We're going to start questioning every African American about his nationality aren't we..first Obama and now Elon Musk. Interesting OP. Doubt people will go through with it though.

Most people will not get your use of ironic humor here but I did. Star for you.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMasterMinder
Americans..if they can solve a problem by shooting it or blowing it up they are happy bunnies!

You do realize Elon Musk was not born or educated in the US, right. Although he has stated that America is the greatest country.

Oops just saw that many already clarified this.

Anyhow I don't like the nuking idea and would go with the slower option
edit on 22930America/ChicagoSun, 13 Sep 2015 22:22:44 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Obviously , exporting all nuclear weapons to Mars
is a great idea . We don't even need to detonate them ,
because mankind will never terraform such a large planet ,
that is so desolate,inhospitable, and too far away from the sun .

Could Mr. Musk please concentrate his intellect towards first
sorting out the more realistic option of fixing the mess we
have here , .

He'd make a great politician though ,
full of pie-in-the-sky !

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy
Obviously , exporting all nuclear weapons to Mars
is a great idea . We don't even need to detonate them ,
because mankind will never terraform such a large planet ,
that is so desolate,inhospitable, and too far away from the sun .

Could Mr. Musk please concentrate his intellect towards first
sorting out the more realistic option of fixing the mess we
have here , .

He'd make a great politician though ,
full of pie-in-the-sky !

Mars is not too far from the Sun to support a warm wet climate. It once had one and could have one again. Its not a questions of pies in the sky but a question of will, resources and time.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Its not a questions of pies in the sky but a question of will, resources and time.

My point exactly , concentrate those three things on reversing the degradation
of this rock FIRST !!!!

Get a grip !
too cold , go away !

edit on 13-9-2015 by radarloveguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2015 by radarloveguy because: reason given

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

Because every other spacecraft ever made or invented worked the first time it was tested...... /facepalm

Elon Musk is one of the few businessmen who actually seems interested in making a difference rather than just profit alone.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if Mars was moved to Venus orbit and Venus to Mars orbit.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: MrMasterMinder
Americans..if they can solve a problem by shooting it or blowing it up they are happy bunnies!

You do realize Elon Musk was not born or educated in the US, right. Although he has stated that America is the greatest country.

Oops just saw that many already clarified this.

Anyhow I don't like the nuking idea and would go with the slower option
You Do realize that many Americans were not born in America right?

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
What Country is that?

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MrMasterMinder

You Do realize that many Americans were not born in America right?

Ah, So you realize that America is made up of numerous immigrants from all different countries in the world hence its not just an American problem as they all bring their culture influences to the US. Just because you become an American citizen it does not make you drop the mentality and culture of where you came from. Especially Elon Musk who has lived the majority of his life overseas and as a non American citizen.

I get you were trying to make a joke but Elon Musk suggestion of nuking Mars while it may not be politically viable it certainly does bring some attention to Terraforming.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: Shiloh7

I believe he said one bomb on each pole, north and south. That would only contaminate, or hide evidence, on or near the poles.

I don't see how this would work. Maybe he means multiple bombings over a number of years? Or one massive bombing with multiple bombs? I don't know, its just wierd to me. And seems irresponsible until we are sure there is no life or other discoveries that could be destroyed in the process.
if mars were to magically instantly get an earth like atmosphere it would take at least 300,000 years for it to return to its present condition (if it would do so at all.)

to put this in perspective human kind as a species is no more than 200K years old. and human civilization is only about 10 K old. 300K is plenty of time considering that and also we already arguably have the whole long crawl to civilization thing licked.

OTOH detonating thermonuclear devices over the poles would likely not do what he thinks it would it would have little effect.
edit on 14-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: humor

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

I thought Siding Spring already dropped a Dr. Manhattan on the angry red planet. Well, my bad!

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy

originally posted by: JadeStar

Its not a questions of pies in the sky but a question of will, resources and time.

My point exactly , concentrate those three things on reversing the degradation
of this rock FIRST !!!!

Get a grip !
too cold , go away !

Why can't we do both?

In fact, in doing one we help do the other and vice versa.

BTW: that habitable zone is not very scientific. Way too simplistic. Try this one:

A planet the size of the Earth at Mars's distance with Venus's atmosphere would be warm.

edit on 15-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
If Musk thinks its a good idea, then maybe you should look into it.What are the drawbacks?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
If Musk thinks its a good idea, then maybe you should look into it.What are the drawbacks?

I don't like the idea of potentially irradiating a biosphere for one.

We don't know what if anything is alive on Mars. We do know there is methane and it appears cyclical so there could be microbial colonies. Who knows, maybe they are under the ice caps.

I don't want to nuke any Mars life. We should have a chance to study and preserve it.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

well this: even on earth with a thick atmosphere and water vapor as well as methane and other greenhouse gasses a thermonuclear weapons thermal effects are range limited. in a nearly non existent co2 atmosphere it would be even less. what you would get is nuclear contamination without the desired warming.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

So its a bad idea? Who is musk?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

he is a very smart man but that does not mean he knows everything or is right every time he speculates about something.

if detonating a thermonuclear weapon could warm a planet we'd have a whole lot more to worry about than a 1/4 of a degree climate change here on earth. there have been a lot of nukes detonated here including a 150 MT one that sent shockwaves around the world three times. the only thing that happened was contaminated lichens that contaminated moose and elk on the west coast and aluetian island chain.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

he is a very smart man but that does not mean he knows everything or is right every time he speculates about something.

if detonating a thermonuclear weapon could warm a planet we'd have a whole lot more to worry about than a 1/4 of a degree climate change here on earth. there have been a lot of nukes detonated here including a 150 MT one that sent shockwaves around the world three times. the only thing that happened was contaminated lichens that contaminated moose and elk on the west coast and aluetian island chain.

There's a difference.

We didn't detonate those over our polar ice caps.

The idea is sound in terms of freeing up CO2 which is frozen in the ice caps at Mars's poles. The problem of course is that the amount of detonations needed to completely do this would contaminate the poles and perhaps the planet. It might also kill of any current life and/or destroy evidence of past life near the poles.

bad idea to me.

There are better ways to melt that ice.
edit on 15-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join