It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan to drop nukes on Mars to prepare for human life

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Very nice point and always made me wonder what would Africa looks if being teraformed to produce more food and if Sahara gets cover of woods and vegetation... It should be much easier then teraforming Mars, and might give us good insights as what to do/not do...

It's surrounded with liquid water, so should not be big deal, right?

originally posted by: StanFL
Why exactly do we need an atmosphere? If we can build a spaceship hermetically, why not do the same for the Mars colony?

To exploit resources, it would be much easier if there is atmosphere. Also add to this temperature and resource required to build for example domes. For any longer exposure, protection from cosmic radiation would be very beneficial.
edit on 11-9-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Variable
a reply to: MrMasterMinder

Americans..if they can solve a problem by shooting it or blowing it up they are happy bunnies!

He is South African... Shows yer full of it huh?

V

He was born in south Africa but he's an American citizen..shows yer even more full it huh?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

Yeah, nuking is great way to start just about anything.

Maybe we should just stay and perish here.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL
Why exactly do we need an atmosphere? If we can build a spaceship hermetically, why not do the same for the Mars colony?

We can and that's the near future plan.

Terraforming is a long term idea.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Pretty cool that we just happen to have a planet right next to us that could potentially be terraformed. Once a civilization becomes space faring, one of the next things it needs to learn is terraforming. Pretty convenient we have a planet next door to tinker with, especially since its almost inevitable that a civilization would do a lot of damage to its own planet just getting to the space faring point, and would at least be thinking of an alternate home in case its needed...

Technological progression is in some ways like nature, pushing a birdie out of its nest, forcing it to survive, out in the world. We must either sink or swim. It's just really convenient that we just might have a place nearby to go to, and we just might make it there, just in time, before this planet is used up, polluted and rendered uninhabitable. Well, some of us might make it there anyway.

And Venus, while nowhere near being a place we would want to live, or attempt to terraform, also has its own crucial lessons to teach us, I suspect. The dangers of a runaway greenhouse effect, for starters. Everything seems to have been conveniently arranged for us. But there's no guarantee we will succeed. And there are diffetent measures of "success". For many, simply preserving the continuation of humankind will not be considered much of a success... if it means leaving behind billions of humans and other species to a bleak existence.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

Nothing adds credibility to the "we come in peace" declaration upon taking over new real estate than dropping a nuke or 5, right?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMasterMinder
Americans..if they can solve a problem by shooting it or blowing it up they are happy bunnies!

That would be an accurate statement if Elon Musk wasn't an immigrant. Don't let facts get in the way of anti-American sentiment though...

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMasterMinder

Good thing Elon Musk isn't American then huh? (By Birth)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Not that where they are born makes any difference.

adjective

adjective: American
1. relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.

But dont let that get in the way of that Egyptian river..

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Attention all posters

This thread is about Elon Musk's idea of using nuclear weapons to terraform Mars, neither about his nationality nor how it may or may not affect his decision making process.

Let's get this thread back on track!

Thank you for your cooperation. Please don't respond to this message.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Mars is already a spacecraft, why not just live inside of it? We'd have more security and possibly find liquid water reserves.

As for the nukes, only good I see setting off nukes, would be to power a thermal sail spacecraft, otherwise it's pretty ballsy.

Something I honestly didn't expect to hear from elon musk.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I find it poetically ironic that the things we are most afraid of destroying our biosphere: Waste heat, CO2, asteroid impacts and even nuclear detonations… would be the very same things which could bring back Mars's habitability and biosphere if it ever had one.
edit on 11-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Very true, when I 1st heard about causing global warming on mars via pollution I was dumbfounded, upon reading further into it, I was extremely impressed and intrigued.

It's amazing how the universe and physics work.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

Very true, when I 1st heard about causing global warming on mars via pollution I was dumbfounded, upon reading further into it, I was extremely impressed and intrigued.

Thermodynamics is hot.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Temperature is not as big of an an issue as being able to breathe on mars. That is the reason so much of the earths ocean areas remain unexplored.As far as op, that will obviously not happen anyway.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Hey Jade

wouldnt it be possible to reflect the sun light and magnify onto mars using some kind of mirror and glass mechanism?

the sun is the surest way to heat up a planet.... i know this from defrosting meat using the suns heat on a warm summers day.... and common logic hehe!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Hey Jade

wouldnt it be possible to reflect the sun light and magnify onto mars using some kind of mirror and glass mechanism?

Yes.

SEE: Space mirrors could create Earth-like haven on Mars - New Scientist - Nov 2006

the sun is the surest way to heat up a planet.... i know this from defrosting meat using the suns heat on a warm summers day.... and common logic hehe!

It would work. It is just a matter of constructing huge mirrors. Something daunting for us right now but maybe not foa future Mars society.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Here's the video of the appearance by Mr Musk:

And here is the rebuttal: Sorry, Elon Musk: One Does Not Simply Nuke Mars Into Habitability

Excerpt:

In 2011, Kaku proposed hydrogen bombs as an alternate catalyst for creating a runaway greenhouse effect on the Red Planet.

Kaku said that using nuclear weapons -- or perhaps less destructively, nuclear power plants -- to raise the Mars' temperature a few degrees could help jumpstart a "chain reaction" of warming that would ultimately thicken the planet's atmosphere and make it more Earth-like.

Such an approach would be cheaper than the alternative of planting greenhouse gas factories on Mars in order to terraform it, Kaku said, since it utilizes carbon dioxide that's already present in Martian soil, which would be released via thermonuclear blast.

HuffPost asked several leading scientists about the nuclear option for Mars. None of them seemed convinced that nuking the planet from orbit was the best path to terraforming, even if Musk considers it the quickest.

"To begin with, there are the attendant dangers of bolting nuclear devices to rockets and hoping they don’t crash and burn here on Earth," Dr. Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute, said in an email. (One of SpaceX's rockets exploded shortly after liftoff in June. Musk later called the failed launch "a really important lesson.")

"There’s also the damage you might do to still-unknown life on the Red Planet. And, of course, there would likely be political fallout of the non-radioactive kind."

Shostak also pointed out that for all the effort, there's also the chance that the bombs would fail to generate the desired runaway greenhouse effect.

"Nuclear explosions, as photogenic as they are, are transient. A few weeks after the megaton mushrooms, Mars might just revert to its former, inhospitable self," he said.

Dr. Lawrence Krauss, a theoretical physics professor at Arizona State University, dismissed the notion of quickly terraforming Mars as "wildly speculative."

Thermonuclear weapons can be designed to leave very little fallout, Michael Shara, curator of the American Museum of Natural History's astrophysics department, told NBC News. Regions nuked in the name of terraforming could pose little risk to life mere centuries after they were hit, he said.

Shostak has a different idea: Freon.

"Throw old refrigerators at Mars with their load of Freon -- a very efficient greenhouse gas. The Freon would stay in the atmosphere, keeping the temperatures warm and the polar caps at least partially melted," Shostak said. "Yes, Freon is mildly toxic if you have high concentrations... [But] I’d rather have a bit of Freon in the atmosphere than nuclear radiation from a bomb."

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: Tranceopticalinclined

Thermodynamics is hot.

Not as hot as you

Anyway.... yes terraforming mars has been a dream for many. Its to bad we dont actually have wey yutani atmospheric converters huh? It could be our first shake and bake colony. Just remember to not let anyone salvage downed alien ships.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if Elon Musk surfs ATS to get ideas? I have no idea if he does or not, but he could and we'd never know. So, in case you're reading this Elon ... Hi! *waves*

I think Elon is a time traveler or something. He might not be from the future, but maybe hes traveled into the future.

Now Pharell on the other hand, that guy probably is a time traveler...or a Highlander. That guy never seems to age...And besides, if he knew the future was going to be OK -- it might explain why he's always "Happy".

edit on 12-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join