It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you let someone you barely know control your wallet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ah ha!

Personal info -- other contents of the wallet...the rabbit hole deepens!

Sadly, I think that only our thoughts truly belong to us. We think that its bad now in a digital age, but it's really been this way forever.

Long ago small towns had party lines and people listened in on other people's phone conversations. In small tribes everyone knew everyone's business...privacy didn't exit as a real ideal and value until fairly recently in human evolution. Everyone lived in the same cave, or hut.

I'm not sure when it happened, but for some reason we as humans decided that we wanted to close ourselves off from others and keep secrets to ourselves. We wanted to disconnect from our "tribes". I blame modern technology and the industrial revoloution. We found ourselves having more free time as machines of industry freed us from the backbreaking labor we once had to have. We now had more leisure time to gratify our own egos. I think in gratifying our egos we subconciously felt guilty and wanted to hide away. We didn't want others to know we were doing things for ourselves that made us happy just for us. So, we started to close ourselves off.

At least that's my working theory.

Now, would I want to jsut give all my personal details to some faceless stranger? No. Despite what I said above, that faceless stranger isn't a part of my family or tribe anymore. That faceless strangers motives may not align with my own because they are .... well, a stranger to me.

In a small tight-knit community it might be a different story. With family it might be different....but with a faceless stranger that has proven in the past to not always seem to be predictable with their motivations...I would be very hesitant.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

No one has given me definitive answers to my OP.

To be fair, your OP was rather obtuse. A straightforward "Do you think we should pay tax?" would have sufficed. At least, I think that is what the OP is really about, although I have to admit that I am still not 100% certain.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: lacrimoniousfinale

To be fair, your OP was rather obtuse. A straightforward "Do you think we should pay tax?" would have sufficed. At least, I think that is what the OP is really about, although I have to admit that I am still not 100% certain.

I am also not completely confident that I have understood all that was being asked as the questions read about as clearly as an IRS info packet. I have done my best to provide answers that cover multiple scenarios including taxation. Perhaps OP should re-state the questions more clearly or show us their own answers so we know what angle they are anticipating a response from.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

a reply to: evc1shop

You would give them your foldable leather. But no personal info.

That was my point.

It boils down to trust and nobody, except my wife, goes looking in my wallet and even she does not do so without asking and getting a confirmed YES from me. I also don't go looking through her locker, I mean purse(s) without her say so.

Trusting your wife is personal info, that is now on the Internet.

See what I'm getting at?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

You would give them your foldable leather. But no personal info.

That was my point.

It boils down to trust and nobody, except my wife, goes looking in my wallet and even she does not do so without asking and getting a confirmed YES from me. I also don't go looking through her locker, I mean purse(s) without her say so.

Trusting your wife is personal info, that is now on the Internet.

See what I'm getting at?

How is that personal? I merely stated what should be assumed in a marriage. Now broadcasting that I don't trust my wife, that would be personal. Most relationships are built upon trust until that trust is breached so I have not actually shared anything useful at this point.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Is it really our wallet to begin with?

Would you relinquish your wallet to a stranger?

Why is there no yes or no?

You base your OP round an analogy between taxation and giving a complete stranger your wallet and then complain that people aren't answering you in a literal fashion?
This answer might clear up the confusion. Government taxation/spending is absolutely nothing like giving a stranger your wallet.
Hope that helps.

so you can't give me an answer in a "literal" fashion.

That is because your OP has fairly major false premise. Let me try this as an answer
Would I give a complete stranger my wallet - No
Do I think this has anything to do with paying taxes - also no.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Is it really our wallet to begin with?

Would you relinquish your wallet to a stranger?

Why is there no yes or no?

You base your OP round an analogy between taxation and giving a complete stranger your wallet and then complain that people aren't answering you in a literal fashion?
This answer might clear up the confusion. Government taxation/spending is absolutely nothing like giving a stranger your wallet.
Hope that helps.

I agree, it's more like having a relative bonk you on the head and steal it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join