It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spend $345,019 To Make Computers With ‘Gender Sensitive Designs’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The phrase which must not be spoken, even though it is scientifically proven is: The brains of men function differently than the brains of women.

www.fitbrains.com...

Math Skills: A brain area called the “Inferior-Parietal Lobule (IPL)” is normally larger in men than women. This area is thought to control mathematical processes, which explains why men typically can perform mathematical tasks better than women.

Emotions: Women typically have a larger limbic system than men, which makes them more in touch and expressive with their emotions. Women are usually more empathic and comprehensive in thinking, while men focus on exact issues and disregard impertinent information. Men have a difficult time understanding emotions not explicitly verbalized but can think more logically, while women have a more wholesome view of thinking & understanding but their emotions can sometimes influence decisions.

Sense of Direction: Men has shown to have better visual-spatial & geographic memory and thinking, meaning they tend to have a better sense of direction and remembering where locations and areas are.

What do expect from the "culture" which brought us such memorable classics as "Math and science tests in school are racist," "I claim to be a particular gender today, you MUST believe I am what I say I am,"

Oh the irony.

So you accept this bit of science but reject the same science which show that scans of the brains of transgender people are physically the same as the gender the person says they are: Structural Connectivity Networks of Transgender People - Oxford Journals - Sept. 2014

Make up your mind please? Either you accept that science or you don't.
edit on 11-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: neo96

The project will teach middle and high school girls to “create technologies in keeping with their gender identity.”

Not going to be much of a technology coming down the road when it has to keep up with 'gender identity'.

I guess forget about the science, the mathematics, the engineering or any of the stuff that it takes to really create things in this world.

Are you aware of my threads in the Space Exploration forum? I was a Girl Scout and they encouraged my and other girls interest in science and technology along similar lines of what your excerpt above said: We were encouraged to relate to science, technology, engineering and math in ways which resonated with us.

In fact A LOT of women in the sciences got encouragement at right around that age, and it is important because those years there is a lot of social pressure to "dumb down" or be less interested in that "traditionally male" stuff because: boys.

Did the girl scouts waste over 300 k to figure out to do that? Also this industry as far as gender has really changed from male dominated to a nice split. Again I see women go more into the "application" related side, men more in the "infrastructure" related side. Project management and database seem to split and then if you want to include other aspects such as technical recruiter, pretty much dominated by women. Don't think anyone is arguing against more women in IT, why are we wasting this money to determine what was already known and is and has been being addressed by businesses without government making this "new revelation" I cannot speak for other industries in the STEM sector but from what I have seen IT has been making this change pretty well on its own the last 21 years.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxxThis PC crap had gone too far 20 years ago, yet its still rolling like a dog poo on an ice rink.

That's why I am a Mac user.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
So talking about your 'ram' and your 'hard drive' will probably end up being reason for a harassment suit at some point.

Which leaves me with one question: Why does your computer have a dongle and what exactly do you do with it?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Did you miss the part where I stated one can train their brain, changing it from ts native state to function in whatever way one wants it to?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

The project will teach middle and high school girls to “create technologies in keeping with their gender identity.”

Not going to be much of a technology coming down the road when it has to keep up with 'gender identity'.

I guess forget about the science, the mathematics, the engineering or any of the stuff that it takes to really create things in this world.

Are you aware of my threads in the Space Exploration forum? I was a Girl Scout and they encouraged my and other girls interest in science and technology along similar lines of what your excerpt above said: We were encouraged to relate to science, technology, engineering and math in ways which resonated with us.

In fact A LOT of women in the sciences got encouragement at right around that age, and it is important because those years there is a lot of social pressure to "dumb down" or be less interested in that "traditionally male" stuff because: boys.

Did the girl scouts waste over 300 k to figure out to do that?

No. It's part of their mission.

I can understand people who look at programs to encourage STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education tailored towards non-traditional groups seeing that as a waste, particularly when they aren't in a non-traditional or underrepresented group.

I can tell you that this stuff does work so that money as part of the federal budget is minuscule. Particularly if some girl creates something new and innovative. Technological advancement and innovation often comes from approaching a problem or thinking about one in new and different ways. People with different backgrounds often see the same problem or challenge differently based on their social/cultural experience.

Even after the age group in question it is encouraging and important for young women to know they have mentors in the field. That's why I read this blog which is aimed at astrobiology undergrads like me: Astrowomen.

Also this industry as far as gender has really changed from male dominated to a nice split.

I believe that. Just curious how that split is though?

I know in my field it's about 30-35% female but growing rapidly as the head of the AAS (a woman BTW) states in this video which was filmed here in Seattle at the 225th AAS earlier this year:

AAS has been very inclusive. I was surprised to see that they even have an LGBTIQ Working Group which I discovered much to my amazement when attending that 225th meeting.

Even after the age group in question is important for young women to know they have mentors in the field. That's why I read this blog which is aimed at astrobiology undergrads like me: Astrowomen.

Again I see women go more into the "application" related side, men more in the "infrastructure" related side. Project management and database seem to split and then if you want to include other aspects such as technical recruiter, pretty much dominated by women.

In my field there is a similar split sort of. For instance there are a lot more women studying or conducting research astrobiology and exoplanets compared compared to women in the high energy astrophysics areas like x-ray and gamma ray astronomy, i.e.: studying supernovae, black holes, quasars, etc,) which seem to have less women and more men.

The reason was explained to me by a mentor as historical and also cultural:

The guys like stuff which explodes. So around the time that women were increasing in astronomy and astrophysics (the early 1980s) high energy astrophysics was a hot field (no pun) and guys flocked to it leaving those small, stable, "boring" stars for the "wimmins" to study hehe. So there were more opportunities for women as men vacated the "boring" stars for sexy stuff like supernovae research (SN1987A happened back then too). Women instead went into things like astroseismology (which as it turned out is very important to the exoplanet field)

It just turned out that those small, stable, "boring" stars are the ones of most likely to have interesting places for life and the study of them required many of the same techniques used in astroseismology.

Also the detailed cataloging and study of stellar spectra of mostly boring stars goes back to The Harvard Computers aka "Pickering's Harem". They were given repetitive but important tasks and were paid far less than their male counterparts to complete them.

Those women are responsible for how stars are classified today. Modern astronomy might not be where it is without them.

So because there are more women in certain types of astronomical research, more women are thus attracted to those areas especially given that history.

That said women still only make up less than half of the field in general.

Don't think anyone is arguing against more women in IT, why are we wasting this money to determine what was already known and is and has been being addressed by businesses without government making this "new revelation" I cannot speak for other industries in the STEM sector but from what I have seen IT has been making this change pretty well on its own the last 21 years.

I can't speak to your field at all but as I said, my field has made a lot of progress over the last 20 years but still more is needed. If encouraging a girl to go into IT is not a bad idea then neither is this. You would not have raised an eyebrow if this were done by Cisco or Oracle. It really just comes down to people who feel that things like this are not the job of the government. I'd add that your industry received a lot of help in the form of government contracts with their "PC" EEOC requirements so you can't reality say your industry changed on its own.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Did you miss the part where I stated one can train their brain, changing it from ts native state to function in whatever way one wants it to?

Did you miss the part in the research where it states the brain structures in place in the MRI studies are not really subject to neuroplasticity but were that way from birth?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

The real fun will begin when these gals produce a fem-friendly PC

This is what I don't get. Is how it can even be accomplished.

Starting with a motherboard with memory slots,pci express slots from the sata III cable are all male to female connections.

I have no clue of what a 'gender sensitive' design would even work.

Scissor connectors!
Was that wrong ya'll?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The study I linked to also points out that the Corpus Collosum in females is significantly larger than it is in males. Gender Identity has been shown to have zero impact on this, meaning males have smaller CCs than females do. Interestingly, it is this larger Corpus which allows women to more thoroughly use both hemispheres of their brain from birth.

Our earlier disagreement wasn't based on me disregarding "science," it was based on me disregarding theories established out of pressured changes of convenience within the scientific community producing qualifiers like "may indicate" and "might be responsible for" above and beyond the earlier science which dealt in concretes like "Is associated with" and "Is diagnosed as." Nowhere in the piece I linked here is it presenting various theories. It is, rather, presenting scientific evidence demonstrating proof of a previous theory. If the science related to the other argument's theories is sound, you'd do well to embrace questioning it and, more importantly, testing it because that's the only way theories become known scientific facts. Instead, when confronted with someone questioning it, you get defensive... that's bad scientific process.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Our earlier disagreement wasn't based on me disregarding "science," it was based on me disregarding theories established out of pressured changes of convenience within the scientific community producing qualifiers like "may indicate" and "might be responsible for" above and beyond the earlier science which dealt in concretes like "Is associated with" and "Is diagnosed as."

Science is conservative. It is seldom you hear something stated categorically as certain so your interpretation of that language as a layperson is different than mine.

Nowhere in the piece I linked here is it presenting various theories. It is, rather, presenting scientific evidence demonstrating proof of a previous theory. If the science related to the other argument's theories is sound, you'd do well to embrace questioning it and, more importantly, testing it because that's the only way theories become known scientific facts. Instead, when confronted with someone questioning it, you get defensive... that's bad scientific process.

I do question it. I am well aware of confirmation bias and so I've read everything I could on said research. That said, a broad overview of it would seem to indicate (see I do it too) that what I and others like me have asserted is in fact true at a fundamental biological level.

Anyway this could go off topic so let's just agree to disagree?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

If it was done by Cisco or Oracle or Microsoft not a problem in the world. My guess is it has been done and not published. Probably didn't seen a return on investment. But private companies, do what you want. Mainly again I have seen private businesses addressing this for years. Every company I have been at for the last 10 years has multiple mentor days. Bring in various school age kids, they go around looking at IT, after the walk through they choose who they want to spend more time with. We split them up and they shadow and ask us questions, see what we do, etc.

As far as why the split? Ask 100 people get 100 different answers, brain functions in different ways, schedules are different, take your pick. The last storage engineer we had was a woman, don't see too many in infrastructure side. Ask her why, her wife was hotter than everyone else's and she had more success making the guys on the infrastructure side jealous than the "girls" on the application side. Truth of the matter was she was a great storage engineer and took a huge raise to leave. Whatever you choose , be good at it and enjoy what you do. If not you will get burnt out.

I just don't see the need for the government to spend money on this when IT is addressing it on their own, as more women are coming in, naturally going forward more arrive. I don't see a gender issue in IT. We all seem to have our issue with outsourcing and insourcing if there is a point of concern as far as how the job landscape is changing.

I won't argue some companies did get contracts but many have no government contracts. As more and more people were needed many companies were looking for new talent pools, started working with colleges and the push started. Again as always I realize my views are based on my experiences. Not to say this is how it is, just what I have seen. Others may have seen it differently based on their experiences.
edit on 11-9-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Agreed, but I need to make one correction. As far as science in general, I'm not a layman by any means. I'm an engineer, licensed professional, Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, couple credits shy of a Masters, minors in math and economics and would have one in physics but I opted not to take a pre-rec my senior year. Science and I are on a first name basis.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

If it was done by Cisco or Oracle or Microsoft not a problem in the world. My guess is it has been done and not published. Probably didn't seen a return on investment. But private companies, do what you want. Mainly again I have seen private businesses addressing this for years.

Not on their own.

Take a look at your industry as it existed in the 1970s and look at the reasons why it changed. You will find heavy government involvement.

Every company I have been at for the last 10 years has multiple mentor days. Bring in various school age kids, they go around looking at IT, after the walk through they choose who they want to spend more time with. We split them up and they shadow and ask us questions, see what we do, etc.

That is great. I think in that setting at that age it would be best to keep them to gether. I think it is just as imporant for boys to know there are women in your field as it is for girls.

As far as why the split? Ask 100 people get 100 different answers, brain functions in different ways, schedules are different, take your pick. The last storage engineer we had was a woman, don't see too many in infrastructure side.

Sounds like high-energy astrophysics. I peeked into a few of those talks. Women are scarce. Meanwhile in most of the exoplanet and astrobiology talks sometimes close to half the audience were women.

Ask her why, her wife was hotter than everyone else's and she had more success making the guys on the infrastructure side jealous than the "girls" on the application side. Truth of the matter was she was a great storage engineer and took a huge raise to leave. Whatever you choose , be good at it and enjoy what you do. If not you will get burnt out.

Thanks for relating that and that sounds like good advice. As for burnout. I can't imagine I'd EVER get burned out but I'll keep that in mind.

I just don't see the need for the government to spend money on this when IT is addressing it on their own, as more women are coming in, naturally going forward more arrive. I don't see a gender issue in IT. We all seem to have our issue with outsourcing and insourcing if there is a point of concern as far as how the job landscape is changing.

I'd be curious to hear from a woman in IT (if any are ATS) to hear their take on all of this, just for comparison sake. We all see the world differently based on cultural and social experience. So while this may seem unecessary to you, you're also not the target audience.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Agreed, but I need to make one correction. As far as science in general, I'm not a layman by any means. I'm an engineer, licensed professional, Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, couple credits shy of a Masters, minors in math and economics and would have one in physics but I opted not to take a pre-rec my senior year. Science and I are on a first name basis.

Star for you. I did not know that.

One thing you and I both can agree on (and not really related to said research other than in the periphery) is that sociological and other "soft science" papers tend to be a mess compared to the stuff we read.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I definitely apply it to most "public consumption" articles that are based on any scientific research we see in ATS frequently. In my world it can be extremely frustrating because we have to prepare environmental statements and design study reports that are reviewed and approved by both degreed individuals from various agencies and public stakeholders. There's nothing like getting a comment on the same section from one reviewer who says "Please expand on this so we can review the data collected" and from another reviewer saying "This section is too technical and needs simplified."

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I would too, I freely admit I base my views on my experiences. So speak up you women techies on ATS

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I definitely apply it to most "public consumption" articles that are based on any scientific research we see in ATS frequently. In my world it can be extremely frustrating because we have to prepare environmental statements and design study reports that are reviewed and approved by both degreed individuals from various agencies and public stakeholders. There's nothing like getting a comment on the same section from one reviewer who says "Please expand on this so we can review the data collected" and from another reviewer saying "This section is too technical and needs simplified."

That sounds like a frustrating nightmare. I don't envy you. That's also an area of science where a lot of politically driven pressure is a huge factor so I have completely new understanding of why you have been as skeptical in the other case. You'd have to be constantly on guard against such politically motivated pressures.

Thanks for giving me new insight into where you're coming from. Like I said, we may not agree on that issue but at least I know why you have taken the stance you have now.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hm, that's very nice of them!

Somehow, this came to my mind...

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES
Please don't make us go back to Token Ring. (genderless connector)

Can't they just use Macs?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolRozenberg
a reply to: GENERAL EYES
Please don't make us go back to Token Ring. (genderless connector)

Can't they just use Macs?

Some do:

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join