It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spend $345,019 To Make Computers With ‘Gender Sensitive Designs’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Oh Gods...just thought of something.

When are we going to be subjected to the "moral outrage" of connectors being referred to as male and female?

We've already had the horror of 'master' and 'slave' hard drives.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Oh Gods...just thought of something.

When are we going to be subjected to the "moral outrage" of connectors being referred to as male and female?

We've already had the horror of 'master' and 'slave' hard drives.

I was about to say the same thing.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul
IMO it is infinitely preferable that someone DOES study the issue and figure out whether it is real or not, than that it is decided by a bunch of misogynist comments on a forum like this.

Aww, I'm sorry. You might want to find a new forum that is more sensitive towards how you feel.

lol - gee...thanks, but why would you think how I feel is important?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I think you're over reacting. Originally most of the computer scientists were women, but around the late 70's their attendance in those programs pretty much vanished. There have been a lot of studies done trying to find out why, and no one really knows.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Actually, your sexist rant couldn't be more wrong. Women make better programmers than men, and it's by a fairly wide margin. It's one of the reasons there's such an effort in trying to figure out how to get them back into the CS field.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Actually, your sexist rant couldn't be more wrong. Women make better programmers than men, and it's by a fairly wide margin. It's one of the reasons there's such an effort in trying to figure out how to get them back into the CS field.

Wouldn't say better, you have talent or you don't. But programming is one side of it that women tend to go into more than men these days.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

IMO it is infinitely preferable that someone DOES study the issue and figure out whether it is real or not, than that it is decided by a bunch of misogynist comments on a forum like this.

Aww, I'm sorry. You might want to find a new forum that is more sensitive towards how you feel.

lol - gee...thanks, but why would you think how I feel is important?

Great question.

But!!

Since I don't know your sexual identity, I'm simply unable to tailor my original ideas into a gender appropriate response.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Well , I guess I see everyone's point. I have to have everything black. System board , memory and memory heat shields,cables , case , well you get the point. Black , I dont think, is a really feminine color.

Actually, black is very slimming, can't go wrong with a little black PC.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

Wouldn't say better, you have talent or you don't. But programming is one side of it that women tend to go into more than men these days.

It is due to their logic. Men see everything as off/on light/dark. Women see it as off/on or.....deductive vs. inductive logic

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

It is due to their logic. Men see everything as off/on light/dark. Women see it as off/on or.....deductive vs. inductive logic

Programming has little to do with either, for the most part you get to build your own logic system.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Programming has little to do with either, for the most part you get to build your own logic system.

From a programmer at a major (major) firm....and the logic for the program comes from where ? It doesnt sprout from the CPU overnight and spontaneously its there. And you know there are 2 types of "programmers" right? Software engineers and programmers .

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Again. You have talent or you don't. I've seen great ones of both sexes just like disasters of both. Just as far as overall I tend to see more women in going programming these days.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

$345,019

shhhh. don't make a big deal out of it.

Or they will spend more money on this.

I'm surprised they didn't spend more money on it.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

From a programmer at a major (major) firm....and the logic for the program comes from where ? It doesnt sprout from the CPU overnight and spontaneously its there. And you know there are 2 types of "programmers" right? Software engineers and programmers .

The logic comes from how you think about the problem and the steps you take to solve it. As I'm sure you're well aware, there's a near infinite number of ways to code just about any given task.

And yes, I'm aware of the difference between a software engineer and a programmer.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This whole society of victimhood is becoming insane.

back in the old days, if you did not like something you changed it. you tried to make a better version then the existing one. now everybody is playing the victim card and do nothing besides that.

As an example: there was a man named Lamborghini in Italy who was producing tractors for farmers. He earned money, he bought a Ferrari sportscar. He was not very happy with the car, nor with the service Ferrari was offering.

Was he biatching about it - NO. He went home and started to build his own Sportscar. Still today its known as the famous Lamborghini. He made a worldwide name, made millions.

So you want to have a female friendly OS, or a computer that fits your skin color?

Go out, find peers of the same interests, start a KIckstarter and ..... DO IT!

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

You crazy, we don't deal in solutions on the social front. We deal in blame and problem identification. You solved a problem what will the leaders of these problems and complainers do then?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Reallyfolks
I find it offensive, that you imply i am offending the leaders of problems ;-)

And i am not crazy, my mother got me checked!

(yes, sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: svetlana84
a reply to: Reallyfolks
I find it offensive, that you imply i am offending the leaders of problems ;-)

And i am not crazy, my mother got me checked!

(yes, sarcasm)

All good. Seriously though there are many flavors of Linux available. You can take the open source code and do pretty much whatever you want. Anyone who really feels that this is a problem feel free to download and customize in any manner you want to have your os reflect your gender as you see fit. Pretty simple. Nothing that required a study. No one is preventing you from making it happen and except your time and skill set, won't cost a dime.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

The project will teach middle and high school girls to “create technologies in keeping with their gender identity.”

Not going to be much of a technology coming down the road when it has to keep up with 'gender identity'.

I guess forget about the science, the mathematics, the engineering or any of the stuff that it takes to really create things in this world.

Are you aware of my threads in the Space Exploration forum? I was a Girl Scout and they encouraged my and other girls interest in science and technology along similar lines of what your excerpt above said: We were encouraged to relate to science, technology, engineering and math in ways which resonated with us.

There is nothing wrong with that.

In fact A LOT of women in the sciences got encouragement at right around that age, and it is important because those years there is a lot of social pressure to "dumb down" or be less interested in that "traditionally male" stuff because: boys.
edit on 11-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They going to make one for transvestites too?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join