It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Spend $345,019 To Make Computers With ‘Gender Sensitive Designs’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I just had to make this topic. I mean seriously. Apparently computers are 'sexist', and they 'alienate' women! So why not spend $300k to make them 'gender sensitive'. The goal to make computer designs more 'egalitarian' to reflect ALL users 'values'.

Wait WHAT ?

A computer is just that. A COMPUTER, and truth be told computers 'alienate' just about everyone. Especially those running windows for a large part. The 'Sex' crap in this country is going too far. Absolutely too far.

“The [Principal Investigator] PI’s long-term goal is to create theory to inform [Human-Computer Interaction] HCI design practices, to ensure the production of egalitarian designs that reflect all users’ values,” a grant for the project states. “In particular, she aims to create feminist theory for HCI, which she hopes will close the gap in women’s participation in computing.”

Absolute craziness

The project will teach middle and high school girls to “create technologies in keeping with their gender identity.”

Not going to be much of a technology coming down the road when it has to keep up with 'gender identity'.

I guess forget about the science, the mathematics, the engineering or any of the stuff that it takes to really create things in this world.

Sure why not make it conditional based on a persons sex!

And when it comes to computers ?

Speed,memory,storage, and a half way decent OS, is the most important designs/attributes for me.

Of course I just could be 'over reacting'.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If my personal computer isn't Barbie Pink, I simply don't know what to do with it.
Oh dear.
Please help us, it's so desperately difficult living in a mans world.

Pardon me....I have to knit a little mouse cozy.
Otherwise it's just to hard to navigate.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I have always called every PC that I have ever built for myself by a female name. And I call them her , she, etc.Whats wrong with that ? Naval ship used to be called by the feminine pronouns as well by the sailors that sailed "her"

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
We already have teenage girls running around with pink laptops covered in glitter. I don't want to see what a "Woman's" laptop looks like.

Jude

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Step one, sex identification.
Step two, race indentification, we gotta be PC for everyone!
Step three, ID Identification to surf the net.

With patience and lubrification, no matter the size, anything could pass!
edit on 10-9-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
If my personal computer isn't Barbie Pink, I simply don't know what to do with it.
Oh dear.
Please help us, it's so desperately difficult living in a mans world.

Pardon me....I have to knit a little mouse cozy.
Otherwise it's just to hard to navigate.

Navigate might be too masculine of a term.

It might be changed to something like stroll?

Jude

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Sometimes it's hard to indentify a computer if it's a "she" or a "he"!

I usually wait to see if it listens to my commands, if it doesn't, it's surely a "she"! :p

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Sometimes it's hard to indentify a computer if it's a "she" or a "he"!

I usually wait to see if it listens to my commands, if it doesn't, it's surely a "she"! :p

Or talks back at you ....DANG Narrator.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So now PC's have to be PC.

LOL where does it end.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well , I guess I see everyone's point. I have to have everything black. System board , memory and memory heat shields,cables , case , well you get the point. Black , I dont think, is a really feminine color.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I'm telling ya, there's something in the air or water and it's affecting some people's minds. They don't have one!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Well , I guess I see everyone's point. I have to have everything black. System board , memory and memory heat shields,cables , case , well you get the point. Black , I dont think, is a really feminine color.

Mine is black too. I suppose purple would have been cool or one with faeries and flowers on it, but hey my black one works for me.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So now PC's have to be PC.

LOL where does it end.

Ahahahaha! I know! Good Lord, I'm afraid to see what might come next!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Mine is black too. I suppose purple would have been cool or one with faeries and flowers on it, but hey my black one works for me.

I am looking now for neon pink leds to go around the large fan in the side cover.That way I can be compliant.

Just so happens black has always been my favorite color (hmmm lack of color ?)
edit on 10-9-2015 by Gothmog because: I dont know

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hahahaha!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I am looking now for neon pink leds to go around the large fan in the side cover.That way I can be compliant.

Right!

Dunno why they are acting like pc modding doesn't exist.

It is a multi billion dollar industry devoted to PERSONALIZING ones computer.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

What do expect from the "culture" which brought us such memorable classics as "Math and science tests in school are racist," "I claim to be a particular gender today, you MUST believe I am what I say I am," and "People who feel taxes are too high are potential domestic terrorists?" The real fun will begin when these gals produce a fem-friendly PC and the first male IT manager gets slapped with a harassment suit for replacing a female employees computer with one of these gals' "modified' machines.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The real fun will begin when these gals produce a fem-friendly PC

This is what I don't get. Is how it can even be accomplished.

Starting with a motherboard with memory slots,pci express slots from the sata III cable are all male to female connections.

I have no clue of what a 'gender sensitive' design would even work.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Right!

Dunno why they are acting like pc modding doesn't exist.

It is a multi billion dollar industry devoted to PERSONALIZING ones computer.

Yeah , I power her on then (I was going to say "turn her on" but somehow that doesnt seem right) and the space station can see from orbit...

I got it. Change to "when I empower her" thats it...
edit on 10-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

stupidest way to spend $300K I could possibly ever think of.

Glad my tax money is going to good use

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join