It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent change of Rotation of the Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have heard of a recent change on the rotation of the Earth. Is there any smarty mind that heard about this?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
yeah i have heard of it. the earths rotation has increased due to the earthquake that caused all those sunamies (sorry i dont know how to spell that) and our days are shorter now by like hundreths of a second. not much of and increase of speed

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThEeNd
yeah i have heard of it. the earths rotation has increased due to the earthquake that caused all those sunamies (sorry i dont know how to spell that) and our days are shorter now by like hundreths of a second. not much of and increase of speed

and it was stated that things would be much worse if quake had taken place further from equator

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTo

Originally posted by ThEeNd

and it was stated that things would be much worse if quake had taken place further from equator

????

Are you sure about that? I thnk that you have that backward. It seems to me that the greatest amount of angular momentum would be closest the the equator.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Ok, again:

Misconception one: We are talking about 3 microseconds, nothing you would ever remotely notice. That's 3 millionths of a second.

Secondly, the reason is that the quake occurred along a subduction fault and as a result the earth is EVER so slightly smaller (30 meter of one *plate* slipped under another, the plate is but a small cross section of the planet, so it's not like a 30 meter wedge of the planet moved, but a 30 meter slice of a wedge), to be more precise approximately:

3 / 525,600,000,000 % smaller

Ever watch figure skating? Ever watch the figure skaters in a spin, with their arms extended and then they pull them in and speed up? Simple physics really and the exact same thing.

Osiris

E_T

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Are you sure about that? I thnk that you have that backward. It seems to me that the greatest amount of angular momentum would be closest the the equator.
Yep, mass in equator has biggest angular momentum, or actually it's just mass which is farthest away from rotation axis.

Like fact that sun has 99% of solar system's mass but only 1% percent of its angular momentum. (because all that mass, even if its huge compared to other masses in solar system, is so close to solar system's rotation axis)

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
????

yes I'm sure, though I can't tell why, it said above 45� N, I 'll have to look it up

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My question for this is because one change of the Angle of the Earth with i think i heard it was 1 angle, can do a lot on weather and climate in general, meaning, worst hurraces, more sunnamis. etc.... this also makes more factable of the 12-21-2012 prediction of the mayas (The end of 1 earth cicle)..be awared i'm not talking about the end of the earth.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

coincidentally I have a thread on this, believe what you want to believe - or not - who cares?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by otlg27
the reason [for the shortening of the day] is that the quake occurred along a subduction fault and as a result the earth is EVER so slightly smaller

Oh wow, thats what it was all about? I had actually thought that the thing somehow rocked the planet or somesuch, which didn't seem quite right. From what I understand this is something that they had to look for very intently no?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by otlg27
the reason [for the shortening of the day] is that the quake occurred along a subduction fault and as a result the earth is EVER so slightly smaller

Oh wow, thats what it was all about? I had actually thought that the thing somehow rocked the planet or somesuch, which didn't seem quite right. From what I understand this is something that they had to look for very intently no?

Actually it hasn't even been measured yet, it has been theorized to have taken place. And yes that's the reason.. in theory at least the planet is a couple inches to feet smaller in circumference right now.. (don't worry that material will reappear at a divergent fault soon enough).

Osiris

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jans2004
My question for this is because one change of the Angle of the Earth with i think i heard it was 1 angle, can do a lot on weather and climate in general, meaning, worst hurraces, more sunnamis. etc.... this also makes more factable of the 12-21-2012 prediction of the mayas (The end of 1 earth cicle)..be awared i'm not talking about the end of the earth.

Now don't be ignorant and try to be a misinformant. Those hurricanes happened last year, it would be just something like this that the government would try to say to put us all in a spin, though that happened BEFORE everything.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I was getting ready to post this, but I saw the thread on it, here ya go...

www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

join