It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Directs Administration to Accept 10,000 Syrian Refugees

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
10,000 more people to be supported by government handouts.

Well we need to stop handing out guns over there then

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Elton

If this is the case, then why is it that so many of fighting age are among those who are fleeing?

Should they not be the ones staying behind and sending their women and children to the safety of the host countries rather than leave them there to face whatever horrors may be visited upon them?

The irony is that people here attack the people in the Middle East as being violent, religious zealots who are always at war. Then they turn around and attack the people from the Middle East who are pacifists & want to escape war for peaceful lands. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Not to mention the Obama administration usually considers all males of adult ages as being lawful kills if they're near a target in drone strikes.

Plus, many of them come from regions where males are expected to be the primary breadwinners, and many times, the family saviors. So of course they're more likely to be the ones made to trek to a foreign land first. They're expected to find a safe place to settle down, establish a life there, then either send money back or send for the extended family. Many of these people have to spend a lot of money to make the journeys, so many times they can't afford to bring the rest of the family at first. That's the same reason in some of these places, they can only afford to send the eldest child or eldest male to schools.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

Oh, you'll get no argument from me on the responsibility angle.

These are chickens coming home to roost.

What will hatch from them is what I am concerned over and all of it a result of foreign policies designed to benefit billionaires at the expense of everyone else.

Those actually responsible for these events will never feel the consequences we are asked to bear.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I agree.

If it was fair the Bush and cheey ranch along with tge mansions the clintons, kerrys and obamas own should be siezed and turned into shelters for the refugee.

Same with the CEO of any defence contractors whose weapons have "accidently " or deliberately fallen into the hands of combatents over there.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Not to worry. I'm sure the Federal Government will pay for it. Its not coming out of your pocket.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

What if, say, 1% of them mean us ill will and are sleeper agents?

Do you think we would notice 100 people committing the kind of terrorist acts we see in places they are fleeing?

What if 1% of these refugees eventually become US citizens, join the US military, and save other American soldiers in some of our upcoming wars? And what if one the refugees has a brilliant child who becomes the next Steve Jobs? His biological dad is from Syria. Or what if one of the refugee families has a talented granddaughter, who goes on to become the next Shakira? Her grandparents are from Lebanon.

Surely if you're allowed to use hypotheticals to boost your argument, so am I. Right? Why should we always have to assume the worse?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

No arguments from me on your points.

In fact, my great grandfather came to America ahead of his family back in the late 1800's and once he found a place brought them over and helped to settle the city that was my hometown. I have no problems with that scenario.

I worry that the refugees may be used as cover for others to make their way here.

I just think it odd that men, who would otherwise be fighting for their homeland, are leaving behind women and children in a situation where they are in mortal danger each moment of the day from violence and war whereas if they were sent ahead to a place where such atrocities are not occurring they would at least be safe in their persons.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I agree.

If it was fair the Bush and cheey ranch along with tge mansions the clintons, kerrys and obamas own should be siezed and turned into shelters for the refugee.

Same with the CEO of any defence contractors whose weapons have "accidently " or deliberately fallen into the hands of combatents over there.

You need to stop talking sense, no one will ever listen to it.

If the above were to actually occur, I would probably die of shock.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

What business do we have being there in the first place. Let the oil companies support the MIC and they can do their own dirty work. The mid east has been to broken to be fixed for too long.

It seems too many Americans love war.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: roadgravel

Not to worry. I'm sure the Federal Government will pay for it. Its not coming out of your pocket.

The federal debt has no impact on the average person? Dream on.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
we should consider ourselves lucky they live an ocean away from us otherwise they would be pouring over our border by the million. i'm sure the vetting process for these refugees to enter the US will be a lot stricter than the mass exodus that is happening in europe right now.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Kudos to you for being the optimist. I'm glad there are still those out there who can always view the positive. I want to be one as well, truly I do.

Why should we always have to assume the worse?

The actions of those in power consistently lead me to those assumptions.

Why does power attract corruptible people who then do everything they can to amass more power?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

No arguments from me on your points.

In fact, my great grandfather came to America ahead of his family back in the late 1800's and once he found a place brought them over and helped to settle the city that was my hometown. I have no problems with that scenario.

I worry that the refugees may be used as cover for others to make their way here.

I just think it odd that men, who would otherwise be fighting for their homeland, are leaving behind women and children in a situation where they are in mortal danger each moment of the day from violence and war whereas if they were sent ahead to a place where such atrocities are not occurring they would at least be safe in their persons.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

The thing is, these refugees won't have the freedom people assume they will. They can't just come into the US and roam freely like a US citizen could. They have extensive background checks before being allowed to stay, can have case workers, and a lot of other hurdles to jump through. And if/when they're given work visas, they'll have to stay employed to keep those work visas. In other words, they're tracked pretty extensively, especially after 9/11. Just look into the roadblocks that stop many asylum seeking Afghan translators from coming to the US, even though they helped NATO during the Afghanistan War.

My Dad's an Imam & a professor, and the FBI visits their community quite regularly. There are several hundred Saudi and Kuwaiti citizens there and I can guarantee you the federal & local governments know exactly who's who.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Kudos to you for being the optimist. I'm glad there are still those out there who can always view the positive. I want to be one as well, truly I do.

Why should we always have to assume the worse?

The actions of those in power consistently lead me to those assumptions.

Why does power attract corruptible people who then do everything they can to amass more power?

Why not break the cycle of distrust and negativity by treating people the way they should be treated, regardless of the negative possibilities? Become the change you want to see.

If you really think corruption from those in power is bad, why let their corruption taint your own views about others?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Problems arise when there are cracks in the system. And our system has so many it makes Humpty Dumpty look solid.

Other worms wriggling out of those cans you've got line up there all point to various entities within our government who have nefarious goals and have no problems dealing shady when it suits them.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
" Obama Directs Administration to Accept 10,000 Syrian Refugees "

Sure Obama !!

10,000 now and how many later ? 100,000 ?

Hey why the Hell isn't Saudi Arabia setting up new cities on their vast empty land?

Hey, where's the U.N. ? or have they run out of money ?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If you really think corruption from those in power is bad, why let their corruption taint your own views about others?

My view of people in general is filtered by my past, as is everyone's. I always try to maintain an open mind and not let judgements creep in, but it is not always easy to do.

Persons I meet in specific, I let me intuition guide me and gauge their reactions as I interact with them. I can generally spot "good people" early on and "snakes in the grass" not long after depending on how well they have become at hiding their true nature.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Great idea, Fuhrer Obama, with the swipe of his big appendage, can just pick and choose when, how, and where we as American tax payers have to pay for the refuges WELFARE.

We can't even help the people here, homeless on the street, mentally ill, true hurting, HUNGARY American children, and orphans BE DAMNED...

The children can't work, not in America, their going to have to suck the American teet. We have not even gotten into the massive problem with already radicalized refugees, and the soon to be muslim children to turn radical, by blaming the WEST, for ALL their problems...

These humanitarian aids are nothing more the a sympathetic muslim loving, American hating POTUS to ruin us even further.. Piss' Obama'//.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: crazyewok

What business do we have being there in the first place. Let the oil companies support the MIC and they can do their own dirty work. The mid east has been to broken to be fixed for too long.

It seems too many Americans love war.

it's more like america NEEDS war. to preserve itself.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm starting to wish I never gave Obama my permission for military action in Syria. But who could have imagined that bombing a country could result in refugees trying to avoid getting killed? That came totally out of nowhere.

I just hope we never get another Nobel Peace Prize winning President. We're running out of Middle East countries to bomb.
edit on 10-9-2015 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join