It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is not the greatest country in the world...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
First off, let me apologize by saying that I didn't really know which forum this belonged to, so I've put it in the General Conspiracy section.

Mods, please feel free to move this thread to where it should fit. Also, if some one already posted this, then by all means, please combine my thread.

In any case, I saw this video on FB yesterday, it has then gone viral and I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't surfaced here on ATS.

If anyone watches a TV show called The Newsroom, well, I don't but I think I am missing out along shows like The House of Cards.

Anyway, here is the video in question:

So what's the conspiracy behind this?

Well, to me, it's like the entire U.S. is setup to conspire against it's citizens. The whole idea of indoctrinating the 90's generation and beyond, it's getting to the point of brainwashing and numb following for no particular reason.

Anyone still remember the whole Obama election? Holy #... I still remember Katy Perry, Jay-Z and all those A list celebs coming out to endorse their favorite candidate, then you get masses of numb nuts teens and young adults, simply voting for a guy that their idols votes for.

Obama suddenly gets twenty thousand Swifty supports or fifty thousand Beliebers suddenly jumped the wagon...

This 3 min speech by Jeff... I loved it, never thought Jeff Daniels could perform like that. I knew he was versatile when I saw him in SPEED and Dumb and Dumber.. but damn, the guy is a good actor.

Will
Fine. [to the liberal panelist] Sharon, the NEA is a loser. Yeah, it accounts for a penny out of our paychecks, but he [gesturing to the conservative panelist] gets to hit you with it anytime he wants. It doesn't cost money, it costs votes. It costs airtime and column inches. You know why people don't like liberals? Because they lose. If liberals are so #in' smart, how come they lose so GODDAM ALWAYS!

And [to the conservative panelist] with a straight face, you're going to tell students that America's so starspangled awesome that we're the only ones in the world who have freedom? Canada has freedom, Japan has freedom, the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Australia, Belgium has freedom. Two hundred seven sovereign states in the world, like 180 of them have freedom.

And you—sorority girl—yeah—just in case you accidentally wander into a voting booth one day, there are some things you should know, and one of them is that there is absolutely no evidence to support the statement that we're the greatest country in the world. We're seventh in literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force, and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student, but you, nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period, so when you ask what makes us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the # you're talking about?!

Yosemite?!!!

We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral reasons, we passed and struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, and we acted like men. We aspired to intelligence; we didn't belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy. And we were able to be all these things and do all these things because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one—America is not the greatest country in the world anymore.

I know that many of you, after reading this, will jump the gun on pointing out how Jeff's character got several facts incorrectly.

Let me tell you, what he said about America's various positions in the world, is not the most important part of the speech. So it doesn't matter how many claims he made was a fact. What matters most, is the current American mentality Jeff's character is describing.

We live in a dangerous time. Sure, maybe more than 45% Americans actually carries a passport, but so what? How many Americans actually travel around the world to see various countries and how it is there.

Jeff's character's last comment, where he mentions that the current generation is absolutely the worst generation ever period EVER! I couldn't agree more. It's not your fault though, not a 20 year old college kid's problems, but you guys are living in the absolute worst time in modern human history, where the previous generation completely destroyed your young minds.
edit on 9/10/2015 by truthseeker84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The entire narrative is designed around brainwashing young people to be NWO slaves. They tell them their country is evil. They tell them they did bad things. They try to destroy the self-esteem of the country by letting it become overrun with undesirable illegal aliens. Big corporations move our jobs overseas.

This is all by design so that when it is time to have a one world government the young people of the US will feel so bad about themselves and their nation that they will cede their sovereignty willingly to the NWO.

It's sad.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84
Jeff's character's last comment, where he mentions that the current generation is absolutely the worst generation ever period EVER! I couldn't agree more. It's not your fault though, not a 20 year old college kid's problems, but you guys are living in the absolute worst time in modern human history, where the previous generation completely destroyed your young minds.

Right there, in your final paragraph, lies buried what happened to America. The USA made personal responsibility a profane topic, and things naturally went to pot. OF COURSE the current generation's failures, woes, and flounderings are their own damn fault. Stop sugar coating life and start placing blame for individual problems directly where they belong: on the individual.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84
I was just thinking about how lost the average American citizen is today. Lost and clueless. One guy I know said that if they ever got rid of NASCAR or football, he'd riot. Yep, that's what it would take. Never mind the erosion of privacy and freedoms. Never mind a wreck of an economy or other buggery those in power get up to. Those don't matter. Racing and football are all that do. I've heard similar garbage and it just makes me shake my head in disgust.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
If I was a mod.... I'd give this mod some APPLAUSE!
Great post.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

If we are going to talk statistics, Antarctica is the greatest nation on Earth.

The ratio of gun ownership to gun related violence is 0:0.

The infant mortality rate is at zero percent.

Illegal immigration is at zero percent.

However penguin Guano is at an all time high.

Statistics are only relevant to people who hope to exploit them in many cases. For others they are facts for better or for worse.

edit on 10-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure how someone could disconnect one generation from the prior several. To do so would imply there's even an absolute threshold at which one generation becomes the next. In reality, a gradual degradation has been afoot, often times decisions made years, or decades prior coming to mature in full. That doesn't excuse current mishaps, but should hopefully inspire some compassion from people who believe they're of another generation and prefer an us vs them mentality. Doesn't that foster what you claim to be against, namely "personal responsibility". It's as if one holds their selves up to such a high extent, that to admit failures which are pushed further down the line weighs too deep in the easy out of claiming the excuse of "personal responsibility" on the "them"s of this world.

It just seems silly.

edit on 10-9-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

What a load of squishy soft stuff.

Worst time in modern human history? According to who?

Blame the previous generation? OK, fine, when does that particular game stop?

You deal with life as it comes to you. It's called growing up. Being an adult.

My situation is of my own making, good or bad. If bad, what good does blaming George Bush do, or Barrack Obama, in fixing it? That's my job as an adult to make the best of it. Don't like it? Too bad. Blaming some outside other is so self defeating as to beggar the imagination.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Huckerbes speech yesterday insinuates America is proof of God. How could America be so frickin amazing was proof of God, nothing to do with geography and every one chants along USA USA. That's some serious brain washing there, a prime example. That sort of Schlick would be laughed off stage in the UK and rightfully so. We know we are not the greatest country in the world and certainly don't have politicians quoting fictional characters like Forrest Gump at political rallies. No other country in the world has so much bravado bs.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Oh we in the UK know that already have for years why? because the United Kingdom is the best always has been always will be
I think every generation says the same, the young have no respect blah blah blah the countries going downhill etc.
Look on the bright side you could come from Syria.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's just only a tribute to the greatest country in the world.

God Bless

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Stop sugar coating life and start placing blame for individual problems directly where they belong: on the individual.

Sure that makes sense, but what happens if your house is burnt down?

Do you blame the builder for not adhering to safety laws? do you blame another company that provided the smoke alarms? do you blame the electricians that installed the power points? or do you blame yourself for not realizing that that electric blanket you plugged in might've started the blaze, or do you blame the manufacturer of said electric blanket?

The blame might not always fall on a single individuals head.

edit on 10-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Huckerbes speech yesterday insinuates America is proof of God. How could America be so frickin amazing was proof of God, nothing to do with geography and every one chants along USA USA. That's some serious brain washing there, a prime example. That sort of Schlick would be laughed off stage in the UK and rightfully so. We know we are not the greatest country in the world and certainly don't have politicians quoting fictional characters like Forrest Gump at political rallies. No other country in the world has so much bravado bs.

The Video has been posted probably four times on this forum and have yet to see any consensus on exactly what the point of the video is. Is he scolding? Is he whinning?

No country in the world has so much bravado? The UK still has tribalism though, look at the soccer riots. Sure, other countries have bravado, we see it all the time.

Do you advocate a one world government? It may not be a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Harvin no all nations have good and bad points, it just seems that some americans believe America is a result of divine intervention

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingKelson
It's just only a tribute to the greatest country in the world.
God Bless

There was actually a show on the other night that called the '90s the last great decade. It may be true though. The UK has not seen a great decade since 1960.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The US may not be rated as "best" country to live in but those of us that have actually lived here for at least a couple of generations think that our 'atmosphere' was definitely the best overall at least for a while until well changes started happening.. now we're falling in the polls

edit on 10-9-2015 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

It was.... now it's the opposite most likely but ppl still believing it's good/blessed.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Harvin no all nations have good and bad points, it just seems that some americans believe America is a result of divine intervention

Some people think many things. You do realize there are billions of people on the planet right? You cannot dictate what they are all supposed to think. If i go to a soccer game in Brazil and the people in the stands are waving their flag, am i supposed to scold them for doing so? Fight them?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
The blame might not always fall on a single individuals head.

I agree with that for an individual's first 18 years of life. To that end, the Baby Boomers, my parents' generation, did the world a grave disservice. They raised a generation whose asses were rarely spanked when warranted, they failed to make "No" the most frequently spoken word in their interactions with their children, they convinced the next generation that "everyone was special," and they raised a generation of coddled, spoiled, brats that truly believed they were entitled to their dreams being handed to them on a silver platter.

Trouble is, upon becoming an adult and getting a fist of reality right crossed into your jaw as you realize what the world really is, it should become entirely about the individual and how they will handle their life from that point on. "Daddy didn't show me enough love" should die a quick death when you start having kids of your own. If I'm talking to a 15 year old, there are elements at work which are completely outside of their control and I'm encouraging them to look down the road a piece, down to where they are an adult and they not only have all the responsibility but also claim all the success if they make it. If I'm talking to a 20 year old, I'm telling them to look behind at where they were, ahead to where they want to be, but ultimately look at today because they're fully responsible right here, right now and it's time to grab the brass ring. That's a message which is missing today... far too much time is spent with one thumb jammed in the mouth, another jammed up the ass, rocking back and forth whining about why they aren't being given what they desire.

To paraphrase the genius of Denis Leary:
"Life sucks, get a freaking helmet."

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: truthseeker84

Right there, in your final paragraph, lies buried what happened to America. The USA made personal responsibility a profane topic, and things naturally went to pot. OF COURSE the current generation's failures, woes, and flounderings are their own damn fault. Stop sugar coating life and start placing blame for individual problems directly where they belong: on the individual.

That's a very simplistic way to look at it, and is valid, but I think it misses the bigger picture. There are many things that happen in our lives that we have no control over and we cannot change on an individual level. We are too concerned about ourselves and complain about things as they happen, but we never stand collectively as human beings and demand change.

How can we take personal responsibility for what's wrong in this country when it wasn't the individual that caused the problems?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join