It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NI first minister steps down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
News just breaking so not much info yet.

Northern Ireland First Minister Peter Robinson steps down and withdraws ministers, plunging devolved government into crisis.

Mr Robinson said he has asked his party colleague Arlene Foster to take over as acting first minister.

The crisis was sparked by the murder of a former IRA man, Kevin McGuigan Sr, in Belfast last month.

The DUP took action following a police assessment that IRA members may have been involved in the killing.

The row escalated when detectives arrested a senior member of Sinn Féin as part of the murder inquiry.

The party's chairman in Northern Ireland, Bobby Storey, is still being questioned.

Mr Robinson said: "The failure of the SDLP and Sinn Féin to implement the Stormont House Agreement, together with the assessment of the chief constable of the involvement of the IRA in murder, the continued existence of IRA structures, and the arrests that followed has pushed devolution to the brink."

"In light of the decision by republicans, nationalists and the Ulster Unionist Party to continue with business as usual in the assembly, I am therefore standing aside as first minister and other DUP ministers will resign with immediate effect with the exception of my colleague Arlene Foster.

"I have asked Arlene to remain in post as finance minister and acting first minister to ensure that nationalists and republicans are not able to take financial and other decisions that may be detrimental to Northern Ireland."

Source: www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 10-9-2015 by capragenus because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2015 by capragenus because: Info update

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: capragenus

It's been on the cards for a couple of weeks hasn't it?

What now for the N.I peace process? Are we going to return to the dark days of the 70's, 80's and early 90's? I sincerely hope not, but it is a delicate situation over there.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: capragenus

This doesn't sound good, and perhaps I am myopic but can you give more context please?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

The crisis was sparked by the murder of a former IRA man, Kevin McGuigan Sr, in Belfast last month. The DUP took action following a police assessment that IRA members may have been involved in the killing. The row escalated when detectives arrested a senior member of Sinn Féin as part of the murder inquiry. The party's chairman in Northern Ireland, Bobby Storey, is still being questioned.

Yes I copy and pasted that, basically this has been on the cards as said by Colbaltic for a few weeks it was a matter of when it would happen.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Sein fein still flat out deny the Ira has a command structure that and the recent murders and arrests made the unionists quit can't blame them to be honest..

top topics

join