It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrinking Ice Patches Expose Native American Relics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Shrinking Ice in the Rocky Mountains has exposed a treasure trove of ancient artifacts from the people who lived in Yellowstone, up to 10,000 years ago.

Bison passing ice patches.

As the climate changes, history is emerging from the glaciers where it was preserved. But glaciers aren’t the only previously-frozen forms giving up their artifacts — even smaller ice patches contain discoveries.

For Wyofile, Kelsey Dayton reports that in Yellowstone National Park, archeologists are racing to collect the emerging ice-encased trees, the bodies of animals and the ancient tools, spears and utensils that have been preserved high in the Rocky Mountains.

Ice patches don’t move like the larger glaciers, so they are even better suited for preserving material. In the greater Yellowstone ecosystem — an area that includes surrounding mountains and forests — researchers started collecting these artifacts about eight years ago, Craig Lee, an archeologist at the Institute of Arctic Alpine Research in Colorado, told Dayton.

In Yellowstone, Lee, archeologist Staffan Peterson, and others have found animal bones, wooden weapons, and other artifacts ranging from 10,000 year to just a few hundred years old. They've carbon-dated leaves and tree stumps that are more than 5,000 years old.

And

Dayton writes:

The artifacts released by melting ice in the high country are important because they provide excellent clues to the past. Archaeologists normally only have access to what can survive thousands of years — usually items made of stone. Yet stone tools are only a fraction of what ancient people used to survive. Ice patches, meanwhile, cryogenically preserve organic artifacts such as wood, textiles, leather and animal fur, and provide a much broader perspective of what people used in their daily lives, Peterson said.

The land high in the mountains may seem chilly and inhospitable now, but ancient animals did venture to the green areas made wet by snow in even higher regions. The people hunting them followed.

In Yellowstone, the melting ice has offered up ancient tree stumps, plants, animals and insects as well as dart shafts and basketry, Lee and a co-author write in a special issue of Yellowstone Science (pdf). Glacier National Park also has ice patches protecting history — The Blackfeet, Salish, Pend d’Oreille and Kootenai peoples left fire rings, campsites and stone tools that are slowly melting out of the ice there.

Read More

And from another article

It’s a bonanza for archaeologists, who rarely find so many important specimens at once. Unfortunately, it comes at a price: The artifacts are emerging at such a rate that scientists are unable to collect and preserve them all. According to Smithsonian, the ice once preserved a range of organic artifacts, like baskets and clothing, that would have decomposed under normal circumstances. But now that the glaciers are gone, these artifacts are disintegrating at an alarming rate.

So far, the archaeologists at Yellowstone have discovered artifacts ranging from a few hundred to 10,000 years old. These include ancient animals, trees, wooden weapons, and a variety of tools. Yellowstone archaeologist Staffan Peterson even discovered a wooden tool he thinks was once used to spread resin—an “item he never knew existed,” according to WyoFile

It’s bittersweet news for the scientists—the artifacts they manage to preserve will provide important insights into the past, but each lost artifact feels like a missed opportunity. Peterson told WyoFile, "I get the feeling of ‘My God, these things are melting right in front of me, and any value they have for science is melting away with them."

This isn't the only example of climate change fueling archaeological discovery. "Ice patch archaeology" is currently practiced in a number of regions. Meanwhile, droughts and wildfires have revealed a slew of Native American artifacts in California's state parks. Unfortunately, as the Monterey Herald reports, looters have been snatching up the artifacts before archaeologists can get to them.

Mental Floss article

I wish there was more info and some pics of the artifacts.
How many replies will it take before the "Smithsonian is hiding evidence from us" crowd chimes in.

That region of the US has had a long history of verifiable occupation, but yet still holds secrets.

Other articles on ancient Native Americans in the region

13,500 year old quarry in Idaho

Acient High mountain villages of Wyoming

They mention fires exposing Native American sites, there is a huge fire(130,000 acres) burning east of me, that sure will uncover a number of sites.

edit on p0000009k07942015Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:07:48 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: content

edit on p0000009k08942015Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:08:20 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Very neat article.

And yeah, I'm not going with the Smithsonian Crowd.

I'm going to be "that person"

Doesn't this mean, that those areas covered in ice that is melting now, were also exposed 10,000 years ago? How did all that stuff get there, to freeze?

Hmmmm......

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Ice is a fantastic time capsule, just as this ice melts and shows us the secrets of ages long past more of the same is to come. Main stream science in general and historians think they know so much, sooner or later they are gona be backed into a corner and be forced to admit they don't know squat.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sycomixMain stream science in general and historians think they know so much, sooner or later they are gona be backed into a corner and be forced to admit they don't know squat.

Pretty much everything we know from history comes from Scientific study, the Archaeologists who are examining this site are also scientists.
Remember next time, you're ill, your doctor is also a scientist...

If you want I can find a list of Witch doctors or faith healers who would be willing to treat you

edit on 10-9-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Doesn't this mean, that those areas covered in ice that is melting now, were also exposed 10,000 years ago? How did all that stuff get there, to freeze?

No, not necessarily, the artifacts has been covered by 10.000 years of snow, but it doesn't mean the area was completely snow/ice free back then.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I've been hearing about this sort of thing. Very interesting.

Ice that has been covering swaths of land that modern man hasn't seen is melting, giving way to some amazing discoveries.

Not to get completely off topic, but I've heard of northern Greenland and other spots in the Arctic cicle have melted away, uncovering the possibility to find giant golden nuggets. Who knows what's under all this ice that we've had for millennia

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Interesting.

I'd like to see some testing for radioactivity performed on the bones.

I'd also like to see if there's any pole shift evidence around.

edit on 10-9-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

No, not necessarily, the artifacts has been covered by 10.000 years of snow, but it doesn't mean the area was completely snow/ice free back then.

But this is an indication that the ice can come back after it's been melted. (which I think is the cycle that has been going on for a long, long time.)

This is a very interesting article for what it offers. I recently saw a show on PBS describing all the relics that have been overtaken by sea rise at the Coastal areas of NC's outer banks. It seems the seas have been rising at a steady pace for over 10,000 years. (over 30 feet) Yet that information is hard to find with all the climate doom info. Maybe one day, we can get past all this and focus on the future, by studying the past without all the "the end is near" hype. It seems it's almost taboo to discuss things that changed before the industrial revolution.

ETA: I also remember hearing that the melting ice is revealing new gold that has been covered for a very long time that is now obtainable.
edit on 10-9-2015 by network dude because: added thought

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

I'd like to see some testing for radioactivity performed on the bones.

Why,

I'd also like to see if there's any pole shift evidence around.

I'd also like to see if there's any pole shift evidence around, because up to now there hasn't been any at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk
The last full reversal was 40 k years ago, and previous to that was 780Kish,

The latest one, the Brunhes–Matuyama reversal, occurred 780,000 years ago; and may have happened very quickly, within a human lifetime.[1] A brief complete reversal, known as the Laschamp event, occurred only 41,000 years ago during the last glacial period. That reversal lasted only about 440 years with the actual change of polarity lasting around 250 years. During this change the strength of the magnetic field dropped to 5% of its present strength

en.wikipedia.org...

that one at 780k roughly correlates( within margins of error) to the proposed Saginaw bay impact and the long valley eruption, one will also notice there are super volcano eruptions and flood basalts that correlate to many magnetic pole reversals.
But none of that has anything to do with the find in question

edit on p0000009k49942015Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:49:23 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Oh, that must be horrible for them, like a race against time. I would love to see some of the wooden items, the baskets and the clothes. Especially the clothes, those are so rarely preserved.

I'm hoping we'll get some pictures in the not too distant future. And also like network dude pointed out, this could yield some really fascinating insights into ice coverage and recoverage (if those are even climate terms, probably not I would think
)

Cool find, P.

B x

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Doesn't mean it wasn't, either.

Alas, my problem. Nobody seems to have recorded the weather back then, for us to know.

Oh, unless they find remains of a cook fire or something, on the ground, maybe?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

But none of that has anything to do with the find in question

Nope he was talking about a pole shift a la Charles Hapgood and popularized by Velikovsky and G Hancock
en.wikipedia.org...
which is complete pseudo science, its normally proven satisfactorily to woos by the fact that a Mammoth was found with buttercups in its mouth, as it turns out it was Ranunculus hyperboreus, the arctic buttercup which grows in the place the mammoth was found, but yanno, pseudo isn't big on facts, so they prefer to think that the Earths crust slipped thousands of miles killing the mammoth which suddenly found itself in a blizzard

I expect he's asking about radiation because somehow nuclear weapons are involved

And you're completely right, it has nothing to do with this thread,
edit on 10-9-2015 by Marduk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
Hi there Beansidhe,

Yes I would so love to see the day to day goods, like wooden utensils and clothing, it would help to shed light on exactly who they were.
So much of the early tools were made of degradable materials that its hard to get a complete cultural picture.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Marduk
Sadly ,
I was aware they were referring to the notion that the crust can just slip around, like the skin on a super ripe peach.

And again sadly, Firestones first evidence for the Younger dryas boundry event, was examples of exposure to high energy particles, that he initially attributed to a super nova, but later proven to be generated by the disintegration of a celestial object, was picked by the fringe as evidence for an ancient nuclear war.

And it has been shown that the vast majority of the frozen mammoths of Siberia and beringia, died in mudtraps along bodies of water, where they did freeze after dying in the mud.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
They have found fire rings at the site, and the climate was recorded by the environment, it was actually somewhat warmer 10k years ago than it has been in the last several thousand years.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wait...so what you're telling me is that people used to live and thrive in a world without these wonderful glaciers that some say we cannot live without?

Hmmm...

But in any case, it's cool to see that, as rising ocean levels have undoubtedly covered over ancient sea-side dwellings that were once exposed and thriving, the very same mechanism that does that is exposing other ancient artifacts for us to discover.

It's almost like this type of thing has happened before...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Very interesting stuff

Like most species, humans have thrived in the comfort zones of Earth and survived out on the edges of habitability. These new areas are boundary zones where we used to exist and were driven away by changing climate. It's a bonus of rising sea-levels that we can access all this incredible evidence of how our ancestors lived, what they used, what they wore etc. We'll probably find another Otzi. As fast as the glaciers and ice-caps can melt, we'll be finding extinct animals and artefacts.

Conversely, lower global temperatures would lower sea-levels enough to reveal coastal habitations and artefacts from over ten thousand years ago. Another bonus for students of history.

Rising sea-levels were a pain in the ass for settlements of hundreds or thousands. Whole different thing when almost every modern metropolis exists on coastal plains and river estuaries. Displaced millions and the economic impact on infrastructure is a far cry from stone age tribes migrating into vast, sparsely-populated areas.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Because 10,000 years ago it would have benefited these nomadic peoples to have stayed in the snowier, icier areas rather than simply following the herds a few dozen miles to the warmer parts of the range, right?

Chiefsmom, of course that's what it means. Of course the massive money machine that is the fight against Global Warming will spin this somehow to make sure the average person misses these common sense clues that indicate the whole this is a sham.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So you're saying areas were not covered in ice before, and people lived there. That's interesting to know considering Al Gore tells us once the ice melts and it gets a couple degrees warmer all life on earth will perish and nobody can reverse the horrible changes that will occur.

<<   2 >>

join