It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Airspeed vs Groundspeed

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

As for "computed", I would agree with the other poster that "calibrated" is probably what they meant. Probably "lost in translation", but either way I doubt the numbers change much.

Like I pointed out earlier, nothing is lost in translation. Both versions say the same thing, but more important, the English version is the leading one.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Depending on direction, there could be as much as a 26 knot variation, or as little as 0.

I apologise, I misinterpreted your comment.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Zaphod58

so according to their ground speed they were flying at about mach 1.12 or something like that.

Ok . So is a sonic boom relative to the ground , or relative to the air around the plane . Honest question .

A sonic boom results from a shock wave that goes through the air and the boom is when it hits something like the ground or an eardrum. Its speed through the air is always Mach 1. Its speed over the ground is a function of the grounspeed of the aircraft since the shock wave is continuously generated. The actual speed of the speed of sound is a function of the temperature of the air and at sea level at 15 degrees Celsius is 761 mph or 661 knots.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join