It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sri Lankan Families Who Lost Children Are Taking Tsunami Orphans Without Approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Amidst the tragedy of the tsunami disaster, a new one may be unfolding. Families in Sri Lanka who may have lost children in the tidal waves that have killed over 125,000 are taking away orphans who lost parents. Denounced by both the government and an aid organization there is concern about the welfare of the children taken.

story.news.yahoo.co m
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Grieving families of children who perished from tsunamis in Sri Lanka are taking away orphans from the disaster without approval, a move denounced Friday by the government and an aid organization.

An official from the Department of Child Care and Protection, speaking on condition of anonymity, said he had heard of a dozen cases in Galle and Matara, on Sri Lanka's southern coast, in which orphaned children had been taken in by families that lost loved ones. He asked families to stop.

The southern coast took the main brunt of Sunday's massive earthquake-generated tsunamis. As of Friday, more than 28,000 people had died on the island, and children accounted for a third of the victims.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its hard to condemn the actions that these people are taking in response to what must be overwhelming grief. However, as the aid organization and the government put it, there has to be evaluations before you can place children. The family that is adopting must be fit otherwise long term harm will come to the child. One official for the government has told of at least 12 cases so far. In reality, can they really have an accurate number, or be able to stop it?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
My belief is this may be a good thing in the bigger picture for most orphans. Yes there will be abuse however childred need a home and parents need to fill a void. My best guess is most adopters have good intentions. The devastation is just to enormous to wade through red tape at this moment. As we in America have seen, even the so called "best" homes for children are not safe.

[edit on 31-12-2004 by IntelRetard]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

fredT
Its hard to condemn the actions that these people are taking in response to what must be overwhelming grief. However, as the aid organization and the government put it, there has to be evaluations before you can place children. The family that is adopting must be fit otherwise long term harm will come to the child. One official for the government has told of at least 12 cases so far. In reality, can they really have an accurate number, or be able to stop it?

I could see perhaps a few, but 12 seems extremely high to me. I just hope that is not someone taking advantage of the current situation by stealing them only to sell them on the black market or in foreign countries to make a fast buck. I know that sounds rather sick however, one has to deal with reality.

I sure hope I am wrong and that is not the case.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Is this just another custom of the Muslim faith?

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If i were there, i'd round up any child wondering the streets and keep them , of course, i'd make every effort to find their relatives too.

Why not? Its not like here in other countries, specially in the midst of a disaster...no one is going to sue.
I know, i lived in other countries. Once you find the proper relative of the child they'd love you for having taken the child in. Thats how it is in other countries.

If i couldnt find next of kin, i would raise them as my own.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I think it's fine. The situtation is desperate and the children will literally starve to death without anybody taking care of them.

Call it "foster care". The foster parents should try to find the children's relatives first, and only if that doesn't work, adopt them for real.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
Is this just another custom of the Muslim faith?

Charity is a huge tenenat of the faith. And again as I posted, Im not in thier place and I am not condeming them, but the child has been through one trauma, being "adopted" by strangers would be yet another. If there are and it sounds like there is state agencies that can look out for them, try to find relatives etc. that should be explored first.

Again not condemming, but while this act of grief helps now, what about 5 years from now when they find they may not want the kid? Not everubody is suited to adoption, and those comming off an event like this are less so.

[edit on 12/31/04 by FredT]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hopefully these "foster parents" will keep a line of communication open to the appropriate agencies. Allowing the true parents, if they are still alive, to locate their own.

I know, that if my wife and I were there, we'd probably have 50 kids running around our home right now..

Fred, this is definitely a story to watch, and follow!

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It is a good thing that the adults are stepping up to the plate and taking care of these orphans. Im sure most everyone that was affected by the devistation is in some type of shock. There now is a need to have a system of checks and balances to insure the children are taken care of and are not being abused. The trafficking of children in the sex trade is sky high in this part of the world to begin with. My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by this devistation and anything that someone can do for the children in a positive way is a saint. My prayers go out to them all

new topics

top topics

join