It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbershop Won't Cut Women's Hair Because 'Guys Come to Be Around Other Guys'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
When I was a kid I used to go to Doc's Barbershop and pay a couple of bucks for a "boy's haircut" once a year.
It was basically a high and tight. It was the annual summer cut.
When I came back the next summer he would tell me I was starting to look like a girl.
By the time school pictures rolled around my hair was just about right.
This chick sounds like she's just trying to make a stink. Unless she wants a "boy's haircut."
Nothing wrong with that I suppose. I wonder if she coaches a t-ball team and drives a mini-truck.
As of present, I haven't had a haircut in probably 15 years or so. I have dreadlocks half way to my ass.
When and if I decide to get my haircut, I'll probably hit a barber shop just to see the looks I get.

Respects!! I have locs too, am toying with idea of chopping them off on my birthday a couple o months from now surprising everyone or wait till the start of the new year but actually I am kinda chicken sht about going through with it.

edit on 10-9-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

She went out of her way otherwise none of us would even know that this occurred.

There should have been no fine at all and I agree that it's a non issue (as for why they would not cut her hair) IMO. Had they cut her hair and messed it up, would she then be wanting them to go back to school so they could learn how to properly cut a woman's hair however she wanted it?

The main difference between the two types of haircutters is that barbers are typically trained to cut shorter, traditional haircuts for men while salon stylists are trained to cut longer, fuller men's styles. A barber's primary focus is cutting men's hair.

Conversely, a salon stylist receives more training in the art of styling hair for women.

To be fined for something like this is simply a knee jerk reaction IMO. She could have simply accepted that they wouldn't do it and went somewhere else. He chose the specialty for a reason and now he is being plastered all over the Internet simply because he chose "barber" instead of "salon".

She may well have wanted a buzz cut or similar and he may have not wanted to chance it. He may not have cut a woman's hair in decades if ever. Maybe he didn't want to open the door to having a bunch of women start showing up for services he and his staff were not trained for. Who knows? Any of those options would seem highly unfair to be punished on AFAIC.

menshair.about.com...

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Must admit, i usualy go to a barbers to get my hair cut, not to hang around other guys....but thats just me.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Kandinsky

Agreed. Haven't got a hair cut in a while but would say a beer while getting one wouldn't be bad.
Feel like it would be hard to drink tho at some points and it not interfere with the cut.

Unless your Barber is religiously opposed..sorry had to go there..

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

This is so #en stupid, I'm getting tired of it, people get in where they fit in. The trouble comes when you throw yourself at others and expect them to accept you unconditionally. I don't goto blackpeoplemeet.com do you know why? Because I am a white male that's why, would I be accepted if I did so? No and I wouldn't expect to be either. This is just more of the same insanity that is over taking the west. Welcome to the unequal equality.
edit on 10-9-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Well she went out of her way after she was refused I guess, but saying I don't think she was trying to set up some kind of sting on this place.

If you go to the site it doesn't say men only, sure it is implied.

Sounds like she made appointments and was refused when they got there.
edit on thThu, 10 Sep 2015 01:48:13 -0500America/Chicago920151380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
As a woman I wouldn't go into a barbershop asking for a hair cut. Barbershops are for men. It's where they go to not only get a trim but to talk about whatever and not have to worry about chicks cramping their style. I mean it's bad enough that some men aren't allowed to have man cave's in their homes....now we want to intrude on their barbershops too. Come on, there are some things you just don't mess with.
edit on 10-9-2015 by Rocketgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality
But you can in fact go and sign up with blackpeoplemeet.com, that would be the difference here.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocketgirl

Good woman, and quite smart.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CX
Must admit, i usualy go to a barbers to get my hair cut, not to hang around other guys....but thats just me.

CX.

Actually it a very cultural thing where I am from especially older guys hangout, talking sports , women ,politics bad mouthing their wives and in the Caribbean communities out come the dominoes.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Think of it as liberating. You will appear to be a completely different type of person.
I am also on the fence on going slick or sticking with it.
Dreads are warm in winter. In the summer I can get my head wet and it keeps me cool through the day.
Dreads are attractive to hippie types, but it can make it hard to have professional dealings with judgemental squares.
I find it strange that people who worship a guy with long hair and a beard look down on me because I have a similar fashion sense, but if I go for the look of the Romans who killed him, I can get a job anywhere.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

The sign up is on the internet so sure it's not all inclusive but only because of the nature of the venue, there are meets that are specifically for black people and white people are not allowed, if a owner wishes to target an audience they have every freaking right to do so, that is their company they made with their cold hard cash, they have a right to refuse service or give service to anyone they like. If I was forced by a judge to give service to a audience I do not want to service, id give them a large stinky steamer and throw it on the table, I have a right to service who I want to, just as anyone else does. Period end of story

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Well with discriminatory laws they really don't have the right to refuse anyone they want.
There is a principle of that here but I guess at this point I would be making to much of it.
So agree to disagree.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Doesn't a hairdresser called a "women's salon" only cut hair for women. Sort of defeats the point no? Otherwise they would be called a unisex salon. Women don't want to be sharing with men more than men with women.

What happened to private property owners being allowed to refuse service to who they want. What happens if that woman wants her dogs hair cut, is he allowed to refuse then?
edit on 10-9-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Very well said.
People with hair, as Nature makes it happen, matter.
I got ran over by a car when I was a kid. My left foot looks like Freddy Krueger's face. The nail on my big toe literally looks like a goat's hoof.
One of my buddies dared me to go into a Vietnamese owned manicure-slash-pedicure shop.
When the pedicure lady saw my foot she told me in very plain broken English.
"No. I no touch this."
I was not offended in any way. I left her a 5 dollar tip and my buddy and I left laughing our asses off.

edit on 10-9-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

But a female barber who works at the shop said she explained to the woman that the staff sticks exclusively to men’s haircuts.

So did anyone know this?

Kinda twist things up a bit. If this is a place to go and get away from women and kick it with the guys, wouldn't the female barber throw a wrench in that?
consumerist.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

So if a nail salon excluded a man would that be ok?

Preferred.

I like where I get my hair cut. Nice old Asian woman that doesn't get me all wound up under my hair blanket (sheet? It's late and I'm hopped up on Benadryl) and her lack of English means I can stare quietly at my face. It's cheap, the woman is super meticulous and there's never a wait (I think it's actually a drug front and the lady got so bored sitting there all day she taught herself how to cut hair).

People should be allowed to have clubs for just a certain gender.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

The sign up is on the internet so sure it's not all inclusive but only because of the nature of the venue, there are meets that are specifically for black people and white people are not allowed, if a owner wishes to target an audience they have every freaking right to do so, that is their company they made with their cold hard cash, they have a right to refuse service or give service to anyone they like. If I was forced by a judge to give service to a audience I do not want to service, id give them a large stinky steamer and throw it on the table, I have a right to service who I want to, just as anyone else does. Period end of story

Actually a lot of social clubs institutions or whatever that have the name "Black" or African American is not exclusive at all or even hostile, it is used in the same way as Irish or Asian,other folks who have interest in them do join.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Jim Crow laws.

And no dogs are not people, try and be reasonable here.

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

You can still do all of that with a woman present if thats your thing......if they don't like it they won't be coming back for future haircuts i'd imagine.

Does that mean guys start being refused getting haircuts in hairdressers? I reckon there would be more uproar in this day and age.

At the end of the day, it's a haircut. For the shop owner, it's a customer. Are people really losing sleep over this?

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join