It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Fix Autism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
BTW --- let me make it clear, I am not in anyway putting down this man's work.

Only the claim: "Fix Autism".

And, I don't think that is Dr. Schore's claim.

edit on 12-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
Autism is diagnosed if a human shows deficits in social skills and social communication and/or unusual patterns of behaviors and interests.

So, let me see: here we are, communicating using a keyboard and screen, a distant spooky communication in the distance so to say. No real human face-to-face interaction at all, so a doctor might conclude we're lacking proper social skills. And given the frequency and rhytm of postings by some, they are clearly showing an unusual pattern of behaviour. But oh boy, wait until we check for "unusual interests"..

Y'all are freaks! Go get cured! Autists!

You are right in that the computer is a very good tool for those on the Autism Spectrum.

But, it is not exclusively used by those who are.

I think Fortean was only trying to say that the average ATS'er has the same behavior as someone who is autistic, and it could be loosely diagnosed as such.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: systemic.aberration

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
Autism is diagnosed if a human shows deficits in social skills and social communication and/or unusual patterns of behaviors and interests.

So, let me see: here we are, communicating using a keyboard and screen, a distant spooky communication in the distance so to say. No real human face-to-face interaction at all, so a doctor might conclude we're lacking proper social skills. And given the frequency and rhytm of postings by some, they are clearly showing an unusual pattern of behaviour. But oh boy, wait until we check for "unusual interests"..

Y'all are freaks! Go get cured! Autists!

You are right in that the computer is a very good tool for those on the Autism Spectrum.

But, it is not exclusively used by those who are.

I think Fortean was only trying to say that the average ATS'er has the same behavior as someone who is autistic, and it could be loosely diagnosed as such.

It could have been presented a little better.

I am most likely on the spectrum myself. I was a weird kid, preferred being alone in a tree, when something interested me I could focus on it for hours, not comfortable with hugs, etc.

Being just shy of 70, there was no "labeling" or help when I was a kid. I just had to plow through and believe in myself.

edit on 12-9-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Here's a question. How do you hug?

When you hug someone, what do you want? What is your motive?

Or, when you hug someone, do you envelope them in a soft, warm, loving "blanket"? Do you make them feel safe?

Or, are you a "bear"? A sincere big powerful bear hug. A protective bear? A bear showing his power? An insecure intimidating bear?

I guarantee you an autistic will know the difference.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I don't see how inserting yourself into the action/mindset of your child can ever be a bad thing. Maybe it "cures"...more than likely it "improves neural connections". BUt the point is: understanding how your child thinks gives you unique access into the constant struggle to contain their more aberrant behaviors as they grow up.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I don't see how inserting yourself into the action/mindset of your child can ever be a bad thing. Maybe it "cures"...more than likely it "improves neural connections". BUt the point is: understanding how your child thinks gives you unique access into the constant struggle to contain their more aberrant behaviors as they grow up.

Oh, Hell Yeah!

I always say the only way to raise a child is from the inside out.

They are not born as a blank slate. They are who they are.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join