It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: I ‘always felt that I was in the military’ at military school

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: buster2010

What experience does the current Potus have or had prior?

Why is that relevant? Obama hasn't declared that he has military experience when he doesn't.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I knew you were a #en red coat! I'm not listening to a thing you say until you come over to America, put on a cowboy hat shoot some guns in the air within city limits, drink some ice cold bud light, eat a hotdog and wave a flag, then pledge allegiance.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

You love him because he lies about his military service and it makes people angry that he does that?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Reminds me of those people that start their story with "yea I almost joined the Marines..."

Cool story brah. Did you ever find your nuts or are they still missing?

originally posted by: tinymind
On this subject, I would ask "The Donald" one very simple question:

Can you tell me the difference in marching around and going to classes, and dodging bullets on the battlefield?

I think the answer will tell you very quickly if you are in a school or in the military.

Remember when Al Gore put up those pictures of himself carrying a rifle, appearing to be in "combat", saying he got "shot at" while in Vietnam? How would he answer?

Frankly, its not that cut and dry, remember we are talking about a Military Academy ROTC program, circa 1964. Reserve officer programs for both high schools and colleges, back then, were NOTHING like they are today. In fact, many colleges required males to attend ROTC on campus, while earning their degree and when they graduated they were placed on the Ready Reserves list.

Did Trump serve in combat? No

Is Trump's situation the same as people who say, "yea I almost joined the Marines..."? No, because he was likely listed in the Ready Reserves.

Donald Trump does have the equivalent training of an ROTC/OCS graduate from 1964 and on top of that has 4 years of military academy education. That is MUCH more military training than the today's "90 day wonder/blunder". Contemporary "Civilian to OCS" candidates DID NOT attend ROTC, they only graduated with a 4-year degree and then signed up for a Civilian to OCS contract. At a school like NYMA, Donald Trump would certainly have gotten the same basic training as an OCS candidate/graduate of the Vietnam era.

Can someone who served as an officer back then confirm how the various commissioning programs worked back then?

Again, George W. Bush did NOT go to OCS nor to ROTC, he got a direct commission because daddy asked for it. As far as I am concerned, if Bush can claim his SHORT time in the Air National Guard, as "military service", after not having attended any Officer School or training, than Donald Trump is free to claim, AT LEAST, the same.

These two examples of Bush and Gore are far worse embellishments, in my opinion.
edit on 10-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boohoo

After some thought inretrospect, I guess many such things are more a matter of perception as anything else.

Having served in direct combat may have me seeing things from a different point of view. I guess its true that getting shot at will make a change in a man.

Mostly though, I like making sport of politicians because just watching them makes me feel so much more intellegent.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

originally posted by: buster2010
it's his fault for not being old to be a draft dodger like Donnie.

If you're drafted and don't go, you're a draft dodger. If you leave the country prior to being drafted to avoid the draft, you're a draft dodger. Trump had a high lottery number. So did I. I sure don't feel like a draft dodger.

Of all the things you can say about Trump, I don't think draft dodger is one of them.

Or you could just preemptively join the Navy and hope you get stuck on a boat...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: projectvxn
I always felt like I was in the Army...Because I'm in the effing Army.

God I hate Trump.

This is why we love him, and all he represents.

He has come to stir the people up , the ones that always believe an actual moral system governs their lives.

Prepare, he is YOUR LEADER.

Um...What?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

After some thought inretrospect, I guess many such things are more a matter of perception as anything else.

Having served in direct combat may have me seeing things from a different point of view. I guess its true that getting shot at will make a change in a man.

Mostly though, I like making sport of politicians because just watching them makes me feel so much more intellegent.

That's fair enough.

Also Donald Trumps graduation date from NYMA predates the "Reserve Officer Training Corps Vitalization Act of 1964". So, comparisons about "what he did" while at the Military Academy and "what it counts for" is most definitely from another era, that few, if any, are familiar with today.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Not often someone on here posts something like this. Imagine thinking about something and then having a shift in opinion?
Good on you.
I dont support Trump except that he is the "Burn it all down in 2016" candidate and hopefully will destroy the weak spineless limp^&*( balls of mush running the republican party. At any rate to be fair your opinion about military service is based on your own. That included as you say combat service. Fact is most people who did serve in the military did not see combat so keep that in mind. I didnt serve but I am from a military family.

i dont really see this as some attempt to assume a mantle of service only his attempt to indicate he felt his time at NYMA was difficult and like military training, and thus gave him an idea of what military service members went through to get where they are. I dont think he was implying he felt like he actually served.

Stupid non-issue

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

So this draft dodging commander in chief wannabe thinks that some babysitting school for little rich bad boys is the equal or even more intense than the training that those of us that actually went into the military received? H

Since when have you not like 'draft dodgers' ?

Hell a draft dodger is currently the Vice President.

DOVER, Del. (AP) | Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, received five student draft deferments during the Vietnam War, the same number of deferments received by Vice President Dick Cheney, and later was disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenage

www.washingtontimes.com...

I always felt that American politics was like high school.

Where all the 'cool' kids thought they were 'better' than anyone else.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So this draft dodging commander in chief wannabe thinks that some babysitting school for little rich bad boys is the equal or even more intense than the training that those of us that actually went into the military received? H

Since when have you not like 'draft dodgers' ?

Hell a draft dodger is currently the Vice President.

DOVER, Del. (AP) | Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, received five student draft deferments during the Vietnam War, the same number of deferments received by Vice President Dick Cheney, and later was disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenage

www.washingtontimes.com...

I always felt that American politics was like high school.

Where all the 'cool' kids thought they were 'better' than anyone else.

Can you point out where I have said I supported Biden? Oh that's right you can't because I haven't said I supported him. Go display your usual ignorance in some other thread.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I always felt I should be rich......crap ,it didn't work.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

As I understand it, Trump did high school ROTC, to whatever unknown (to me) degree. As I understand it from this thread, that was the end of his military experience.

I graduated high school in 1965, and enrolled in Army ROTC in college the next year. In those days, high school ROTC programs were not much more than studying military science, and to my knowledge graduation from that program DID NOT put the graduate into the ready reserve or any reserve status.

In college ROTC, one did not officially "join the Army" until the beginning of junior year, at which time we began to receive small monthly checks. Upon graduation and commissioning, one was on active duty, at the end of which one was placed in the reserve. There were, however, some cadets seeking a career, and they were commissioned Regular Army, while the rest of us were commission USAReserve.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

As I understand it, Trump did high school ROTC, to whatever unknown (to me) degree. As I understand it from this thread, that was the end of his military experience.

I graduated high school in 1965, and enrolled in Army ROTC in college the next year. In those days, high school ROTC programs were not much more than studying military science, and to my knowledge graduation from that program DID NOT put the graduate into the ready reserve or any reserve status.

In college ROTC, one did not officially "join the Army" until the beginning of junior year, at which time we began to receive small monthly checks. Upon graduation and commissioning, one was on active duty, at the end of which one was placed in the reserve. There were, however, some cadets seeking a career, and they were commissioned Regular Army, while the rest of us were commission USAReserve.

Thanks for clarifying your experience, post, the "Reserve Officer Training Corps Vitalization Act of 1964"

As I pointed out, the ROTC and Reserve rules changed in 1965. Trump went to a full blown Military Academy, not just a high school with a JROTC program. He graduated in 1964 under the old Reserve system and had to do daily drill, keep up military decorum, PT, military science courses and rifle proficiency (specifically M1 Garand's). Search the web and you will see lots obituaries of people that attended NYMA, that were commissioned and did not go to college or enroll in a college affiliated ROTC program (all the ones I found were before Vietnam around the time of the Korean War).

Here are some examples of people commissioned after High School ROTC (they did not call it JROTC before 1965):

Bruce entered U.S. Navy flight school immediately after high school ROTC in 1943. Commissioned an Ensign, he saw duty as a pilot in the Caribbean, Pacific and in the Orient.

In high school, ROTC was compulsory for boys only during the freshman year and optional after that. There were no girls in ROTC at that time. I was ROTC all four years and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant my senior year. During that time I was on the Silent Drill team and we performed at football and basketball games during half times and at various business clubs around town. I was on the rifle team until I started working after school. - Murdo MacLennan

In fact, I had an uncle (no deceased) with just High School ROTC experience, no college, that was commissioned during Korea, due to having attended High School ROTC (not sure if they sent him directly to OCS or not).

This was strange period, where the rules on commissioning appear to have been really loose, before, the passing of the "Reserve Officer Training Corps Vitalization Act of 1964". If you read the various iterations of the "National Defense Act" and the accompanying "Officers Reserve Corps" rules for commissioning, prior to the 1964 act, you will see that the only requirement was that the officer candidate attend, graduate and take a course at an institution with an appointed military officer, teaching classes in Military Science.
edit on 11-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Well, i mean, speak for yourself.

I actually do think "has served in the military" is a pretty important trait, when considering a CiC.

It's one think to order men into an AO...it's something else entirely, to order men into an AO, with a full understanding of what you are asking of them.
edit on 9-12-2015 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

I actually do think "has served in the military" is a pretty important trait, when considering a CiC.

It's one think to order men into an AO...it's something else entirely, to order men into an AO, with a full understanding of what you are asking of them.

Our last 3 presidents have NOT had this trait. The last president, that had actual time served in the military, left office in 1993. So keeping that in mind, Trump has more Military experience, before taking office, due to having attend a Military Academy, than any president in the last 22 years. That brief student experience is MUCH better than nothing.
edit on 12-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I understand. Not saying it's a bad trait. I served as well. But lying about it is the issue here.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I always felt like I was in the Army...Because I'm in the effing Army.

God I hate Trump.

Roger that
edit on 12-9-2015 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

I understand that....

I was in the ROTC program, the entire time i was in high school. Does that mean i was in the army? No, of course it doesn't....but it gave me a lot.. life lessons, friends, a sense of what military life is like.. Things that led me to a continued interest in military service after graduation.

See, he's not saying that his time in the academy means he was in the military...he saying it felt like it. Granted it's a stupid thing to say, because nobody gives a flying firetruck about his feels.. but it's not the same as saying "i was in the military".

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I understand that....

I was in the ROTC program, the entire time i was in high school. Does that mean i was in the army? No, of course it doesn't....but it gave me a lot.. life lessons, friends, a sense of what military life is like.. Things that led me to a continued interest in military service after graduation.

See, he's not saying that his time in the academy means he was in the military...he saying it felt like it. Granted it's a stupid thing to say, because nobody gives a flying firetruck about his feels.. but it's not the same as saying "i was in the military".

Your high school ROTC experience does not come close to being similar to attending a Military Academy (i.e. boarding school) in the 1960's, that had an integrated military science curriculum. Again, Trump went to a full blown Military Academy, not just a high school with a JROTC program. He graduated in 1964 under the old Reserve system and had to do daily drill, keep up military decorum, PT, military science courses and rifle proficiency (specifically M1 Garand's). Read some stories about older guys, from that era (before the 1970's), whom attended military schools like VMI. They ALL typically say, that their real service time, in the military, was easier than the their time spent at the Military Academy.

Also pending on the year of your graduation, likely post 1964, affects whether it was recognized as being sufficient enough to be considered, the minimum, Military Science education required to be a reserve officer. In 1964, NYMA met that requirement.
edit on 15-9-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join