It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constitution Fail - Why you keep doing it and how to prevent it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate
There is no escape from a single government.

If each state was its own country, a person could move to the states with the best governmnts.

The original intention was for each state to be its own separate experiment of democracy. Creeping federalism has curtailed some of that but you do still see it with population shifts from more restrictive states to less restrictive ones continuing to this day.

edit on 9-9-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If each state was its own country, a person could move to the states with the best governmnts.

The original intention was for each state to be its own separate experiment of democracy. Creeping federalism has curtailed some of that but you do it still see it with population shifts from more restrictive states to less restrictive ones continuing to this day.

IMO the Union wasn't a government until the North won the War Between the States.

Nullification has potential as a check on federalism.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Do you have an outline or more details on this plan?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The original intention was for each state to be its own separate experiment of democracy. Creeping federalism has curtailed some of that but you do still see it with population shifts from more restrictive states to less restrictive ones continuing to this day.

The Feds have taken control though by coercing the states to abide by THEIR wishes to get Federal funding. One example comes to mind is Transportation funding for roads. It was the Feds who dictated that to be Driving Under the Influence would be anyone who blew a .08 on a breathalyzer. Any state that refused to adopt that law would NOT receive any Federal funding.

Kind of like Obama Care. The Federal government has become the legal mafia.....

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

The Feds have taken control though by coercing the states to abide by THEIR wishes to get Federal funding. One example comes to mind is Transportation funding for roads. It was the Feds who dictated that to be Driving Under the Influence would be anyone who blew a .08 on a breathalyzer. Any state that refused to adopt that law would NOT receive any Federal funding.

Similar to the bogus 55mph speed limit rationales.

What we should be doing is holding our elected official's feet to the fire. Literally.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Similar to the bogus 55mph speed limit rationales.

What we should be doing is holding our elected official's feet to the fire. Literally.

YES!!!!

How did I forget that one!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

That is the main problem with the power of the Federal government they can bribe states in order to keep them from exercising the will of the their residents.

When states wants to use the Power of the Republic all the federal government had to do is tell them that they will withdraw their funding.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

While many seem to be jumping on the "Kim Davis" barrage as a "Constitutional crisis", it actually shows the Constitution is working.

It took over 140 years to get the 14th Amendment right, and now it only takes days to enforce it.

I think some people would like to see Kim Davis "sacrificed" by the death penalty just to prove out some kind of vengeance.

Bottom line is, the law is working.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Because you can't drive 55?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Do you have an outline or more details on this plan?

Nullification was big in 2011, I think it has bogged down at this time, relatively speaking.

Nullification has precedents.

South Carolina nullified the Tariff of Abominations in 1832. SC declared all tariffs as null and void, and unconstitutional. SC passed laws making the collection of the tariff a criminal offense and all duties collected were to be returned to the tariff payers.

South Carolina was following the precedent set by the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions of 1798-9

The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions (or Resolves) were political statements drafted in 1798 and 1799, in which the Kentucky and Virginia legislatures took the position that the federal Alien and Sedition Acts were unconstitutional. The resolutions argued that the states had the right and the duty to declare unconstitutional any acts of Congress that were not authorized by the Constitution. In doing so, they argued for states' rights and strict constructionism of the Constitution. The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions of 1798 were written secretly by Vice President Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, respectively.
en.wikipedia.org...

Some of the historical support for nullification coincides with the various succession threats made before the War Between the States.

New England wanted to secede during the War of 1812. That is most likely why we lost or "won".

Various States and abolitionist communities used nullification and threats seccession to refuse the return of escaped slaves.

I think there are more secession and nullification examples.

edit on 9-9-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Interesting that that authors of the first set of nullification documents were Jefferson and his protégé Madison.

I will read up on this subject more, thank you.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Because you can't drive 55?

Remember Cheech and Chong when they where straddling the medium?

That's me brother!
Slow and steady wins the race!

edit on 9-9-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Remember Cheech and Chong when they where straddling the medium?

That's me brother! :UP: Slow and steady wins the race!

Hah. What a great visual you resurrected.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I thought we were a Democracy!

I see the sarcasm ,it was never meant to be a Democracy , but a "controlled" Republic. The founding fathers knew that a true Democracy would be a mob rule.

My daughter just turned 16 and for some reason beyond my control, told me the other day our country was a Democracy.

I explained to her we were not and then gave her this example.

A Democracy is 2 wolves and a sheep voting what's for dinner. A Republic protects the sheep!

Be well my friend!

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.”

Ben Franklin

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I posted an article about how to do Nullification
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In Jefferson's time, the Federalists had fallen off of the radar.

They didn't return until the Central bank was killed in the 1830's. The politicians of Federalist orientation reincarnated as the Whigs. Lincoln was a Whig until the Whigs lost political support and morphed into the Republican Party of 1854 0r 1956.

Federalist -> Whig -> Republican -> Progressive -> Social Democrat (the real political class of the Democrats).

The original Jeffersonian Democrats were cut off in 1896 when there was no candidate who favored the gold standard.

Democrat -> Progressive -> Social Democrat.

edit on 9-9-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Well, I don't want to derail this thread so further discussion would need another but that was in 2012.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. I think every American should be aware of what you say. Its sad that our education is so lacking. I eagerly anticipate reading everything in this thread.

AugustusMasonicus for Consul....err...ummm...I mean President.

edit on 9-9-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That is actually a great point.

ETA: That doesn't mean we should let any case slide.
edit on 9/9/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Federalist -> Whig -> Republican -> Progressive -> Social Democrat (the real political class of the Democrats).

Democrat -> Progressive -> Social Democrat.

If I am reading this properly it reiterates what I have said in other threads that both parties are opposites sides of the same coin.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join