It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas State University band apologizes for ‘offensive’ halftime show formation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sycomix

Oh, I totally agree. How petty would you need to be to actually care about this, one way or the other?

But then again, how stupid would you need to be to not realize whats actually going on here.... lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
People get their panties in a wad over ANYTHING THEY CAN FIND!!!!!
Over this past weekend, Kansas State's marching band, during a halftime show, did a routine depicting the school's mascot, the Jayhawk, in a battle with the starship Enterprise from Star Trek.

Upon further review...

You know, the Kansas State mascot ISN'T the Jayhawk, K-State is the Wildcats. The Jayhawk is the mascot of their arch nemesis, University of Kansas.

I think it's entirely likely the formation was designed to (winkwink nudgenudge) depict exactly what the fussbudgets claimed it was.

And they'd have gotten away with it too, if not for those meddling buttinskis.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

How come the only people in world who see it are either people who see sex in everything OR KU fans?

William Shatner himself said anyone who mistakes this for sexual innuendo is stupid.

So sue us for poking fun at our rivals and casting them as the "weird alien creature." No matter what the alien looked like, the band making the ship would have moved the same although there would have been some changes for the differing shape of the alien.

Something else to note as someone who has been going to games: The band often debuts a program early in the year when they want to see how it looks. It is possible this was intended to also be performed at the halftime of the KU game later on, but the director wanted to see it actually done to see what needed polishing. It's been done before. Of course now, they won't do it.

edit on 9-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've got no dog (or cat or bird) in this fight so I really don't care and won't be suing anybody
But knowing college humor and the penchant for schools to do some pretty out there demonstrations referencing an arch rival, I don't see where K-State has any grounds for pleading innocence.

If you're going to depict a rival's mascot, on the field, at halftime, be prepared for people assuming the worst. None of this "Whaaa... whaat? Whadido?" Not buying it.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I can see them ticked that we put their precious fake bird on the field, but making it into a sex act?

That's still stretching it.

I'm sorry, but that would like saying that when they come up and dye the water in the campus fountains red that they are really threatening us with violence. You know, it's not just that red (er, sorry, crimson) is one of their schools colors and they're marking turf ... NO! They are threatening to kill us make the water run red with blood!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
They are threatening to kill us make the water run red with blood!

When that sort of stuff starts and it's open to interpretation, I think you can believe anything you want.

In this case. it was an 'official' display, and even their (your) own administration saw fit to sanction the director. The problem is that stuff can escalate and get out of control quickly. Rogue dudes on a midnight prank much different than what occurred here. I think.

When I first saw the thread I missed the band wasn't depicting their own mascot. If this was the KU band and Jayhawk, I could see where this was an over the top determination. Now that I know it was K-State that's a whole other kettle of mascot. Don't start none, won't be none.

IMO.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Yeah, don't get me started on our new president.

He's a spineless PC idiot who really doesn't understand the university. One person wrote an editorial in the Collegian about how EMAW (Every Man A Wildcat) wasn't "inclusive," and he went on a major campaign to change it to EPAW (Every Person A Wildcat). The band used to spell out EMAW before the football games along with several other things like KSU and K-State. The alumni and student body backlash ensured that a more obscure slogan is enjoying an enormous renaissance in popularity, but the band is no longer allowed to spell out EMAW.

All he had to do was remark that until things change the football team really is an EMAW and leave it there.

He also introduced EcoKat which briefly made us a national laughingstock ... and we deserved it!

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he went into an ecstasy of self-flagellating guilt over this whether or not he had to or should have.

edit on 9-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

University administrations are full of halfwits and cowards. On a positive note for the band, I'm seeing where a Go Fund Me drive has already collected about double what it will take to pay the fine.

And so it goes.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join