It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia and ATS don't mix

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I have had insomnia for about a week now, it comes and goes in my life, but this time it was triggered by Metal Gear Solid V and I am ashamed to say the Refugee crisis, I just thought id share this with you all, this site is a great place but it's like a very nice drug when combined with insomnia, I guess this can be my introduction as well, so yeah 27 years old, male, unemployed and sucking from the government breast, I live with my parents and I am trying to better myself and become more understanding, I don't want to lie to people, this is me, what you see is what you get. I was a long time user at LiveLeak until the site became very one sided on issues and shills were given premium member status, so I left and stumbled upon Above Top Secret, I visited occasionally just popping my head round but never signed up but now here I am, too tired to stay awake, too awake to sleep. I hope to gain some knowledge while here, very intelligent group of individuals here, cheers ATS

Remember, life is for dying

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

I work shift work, today I started at 2:30PM and worked till 11PM, it is now nearly 1:00AM EST, I could probably stay awake much longer, but I know once my head hits that pillow I'll be dead asleep within' five minutes.

The trick to beating insomnia is to get more active during the day, and set a sleep schedule, 6 months ago I went from working 12 hour shifts, for 4 days in a row, and found it really hard to get back into a sleep pattern for the rest of my days off, 4 days on, 4 days off, it was almost like I had insomnia, but I figured on my first day off I would simply just tire myself out during the day and sleep at 10PM, till whenever my body awoke. And kept with that pattern until I was back on my 12 hour shifts.

It takes great discipline to get over insomnia, but trick is to get into a routine, and keep busy in the times you are NOT supposed to be sleeping.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Yes, thanks for the advice, I think lately I have become less active, when I worked I never had time to stay awake, I think you hit the nail on the head sir, might go for a walk about 7ish, first few days I was like what the hell just deal with it, now it's getting to the point of feeling sick, so I just take some chill time here, this place keeps my brain active while also keeping me on a level.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
First (off topic) - How is MGS V ?
My insomnia has been caused by Witcher 3.
Nothing new to me though. 56 yo and have been a serious veteran gamer for about 30+ years now. Hades , I dont even remember how long

edit on 9-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I think it goes fine with insomnia.
Drinking beer and playing guitar only gets me so far through the night.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Worked the graveyard 24 for 18 years. So gaming, coffee, Java water, mountain dew kept me going. Thankfully by 20 years I saw the daylight in my shift. Owning dogs helped rightfully so. The idea is to find some joy/hobby and build on it.

Turn off all social media and that phone helps.
And be VERY personal with your bed and sleep. Love it! Get jiggy with it!

Gosh it's been bad enough at times, it took 2 pots of refurbished coffee to keep me going. Been times I go to bed on Monday and wake on Wednesday. But MAN was I ready to go!

Not to be off topic too, but how is MGS V ? Got me a PS4 and Alien/Steam console. Personally I got Columbia live streaming for Half Life's newest!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Great game, just starting to find the side mission a bit repetitive now though, and the story is very loosely tied compared to others in the franchise, but has a game it works better than any game I have played this gen, the combat is rewarding and I do like the free feeling of the game, taking on a mission how you like is very enjoyable hahaha

glad to talk to another gamer here, cheers

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox
a reply to: Gothmog

Great game, just starting to find the side mission a bit repetitive now though, and the story is very loosely tied compared to others in the franchise, but has a game it works better than any game I have played this gen, the combat is rewarding and I do like the free feeling of the game, taking on a mission how you like is very enjoyable hahaha

glad to talk to another gamer here, cheers

Sweet so this 41 y/o can put down Trials Fusion.Sleep and go buy another game. Lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Yeah I think that's my problem, I don't have nothing to occupy my time anymore during the day, it almost feels like I am wasting my time most days so I try and squeeze has much gaming and fun stuff in that I am holding of my sleep, and getting jiggy with it is something I might try also, learn to appreciate sleep is what I must do, I seem to be talking it for granted, you ever feel like you are trying to take too much information in when regarding the most trivial of things?, serious it's got to the point of a what game to play next dilemma, or I must play that game because I play the other game too much, I am definitely insane hahaha

Oh and MGSV is one of the best games I have played this gen, not a 10/10 imo but still solid, the directionless design choice lets it down for me, I love my cut scenes and Kojima has simply scraped 90% of them in MGSV, although it benefits from better combat, gameplay and overall general enjoyment, recommended for sure, Mad Max game didn't do it for me, although I enjoyed the 2015 film

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Insomnia? I'm reading your post at 4:34am.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox
but now here I am, too tired to stay awake, too awake to sleep.

Yeah, I know that feeling.

Best thing to do, since you don't have to do the 8 hours tomorrow anyways.... Is just sink a few redbulls, then just stay up til it hurts to even keep your eyes open, just reading though all those crazy paranormal and alien encounters people have posted.

You'll probably feel like your going borderline psychotic by the end. But at least you won't be bored and you'll have an awesome sleep once your done.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I suffer from severe insomnia occasionally, usually following prolonged illness. I've gone for more than a week without a single wink of sleep.

I am not a doctor and the following should not replace or be construed as professional medical advice or treatment. However, this is what has worked for me personally.

1) Exercise, to the point of exhaustion, during the day. Not shortly before bed. Otherwise it amps me up too much to sleep. Has to be hours before bed for me.
2) Adequete electrolytes, especially potassium. I started eating more bananas and avocados, and lo and behold, my heart palpitations - a big part of my insomnia - stopped.
3) In a pinch, a combination of low dose ibuprofen and diphenhydramine (benadryl.)
4) Open windows, take off shirt, and let myself become freezing cold. (Decreased body temperature really helps me get sleepy.) Then once I'm so cold I'm shivering, snuggle under the covers and feel that sense of comfort and relief that comes with it.
5) Once sleepiness is clearly kicking in, meditation. Qigong breathing exercises in particular.
6) All artificial light sources turned off, and a sleep mask to block any residual light
7) Noise cancelling headphones, and a 10 hour recording of a box fan at a volume not loud enough to distract my easily distract-able brain, but not too quiet that I can't hear it. Drowns out background noises.
8) Laying in my back, with arms raised above head, meeting at the wrists, and head back. This does something to my breathing I don't quite understand, that causes my heart rate to lower dramatically.
9) Mental imagery. Whatever distracts fully, doesn't matter what. Let my mind wander, now without any external distractions thanks to aforementioned sensory deprivation.

This - USUALLY - works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck, I'm very sorry to hear you're suffering from insomnia. It's exhausting and very stressful. I wish you pleasant rest asap.

Peace.
edit on 9/9/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I suppose I'll chime in...
I think they mix very well especially if it is raining outside or cold...
Years before ATS I was relegated to the outdoors so as not to wake the rest of the family.
My S.O. is a very light sleeper unless he's been heavy in the spirits!
So....I am grateful for ATS for giving me something to read and entertain me on those sleepless nights.
I did go swimming a few times in the middle of the night and it helped but, I am a big chicken so I try not to do that too often! LOL

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the advice and good vibes, I have taken it on board, I am slowly regaining my normality, but no doubt I will drop into insomnia again in the future, Good things to all

new topics

top topics

join