It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Accuses U.S. Biz of Discrimination for Requiring Proof of Work Eligibility

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Judicial Watch is reporting another odd investigation by the U.S. Justice Department.

This one is about the DOJ slapping an American business for trying to verify the work status of employees just in case they may be "illegal".

Of course, "illegals" hired by employers are a no no and companies get fined for that.

The DOJ is apparently worried about the company in question not "asking" U.S. Citizens to prove their employment "eligibility".

Strange.

The story points out some other "oddities" as well, like maybe the Obama Administration was/is a little lax on the illegal immigrant worker violations.

Hmmmm.

DOJ Accuses U.S. Biz of Discrimination for Requiring Proof of Work Eligibility

In its crusade to protect and assist illegal immigrants, the Obama administration has accused an American company of discrimination for requiring employees to furnish proof that they are eligible to work legally in the United States.

You know the nation is in trouble when a U.S. business gets investigated by its own government for following the law. The case involves a Nebraska meat packing company that demanded workers to furnish proof of immigration status for the federal employment eligibility verification process. The Obama Department of Justice (DOJ) went after the company, accusing it of engaging in employment discrimination.

In particular the DOJ’s Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices objected to non-U.S. citizens being “targeted” because of their citizenship status. “The department’s investigation found that the company required non-U.S. citizens, but not similarly-situated U.S. citizens, to present specific documentary proof of their immigration status to verify their employment eligibility,” the DOJ claims. This could constitute a violation of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), the feds assert, because its anti-discrimination provision prohibits employers from making documentary demands based on citizenship or national origin when verifying an employee’s authorization to work.

Last year a federal audit disclosed that the Obama administration was letting businesses that hire undocumented workers off the hook by drastically reducing fines and enforcement. During a three-year period the administration slashed by 40% the amount of fines collected from employers caught with illegal immigrants on their payroll, according to the probe which was conducted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Inspector General. This inconsistent implementation hinders the government’s mission to prevent or deter employers from violating immigration laws, the DHS watchdog wrote in its report. Now the DOJ is taking it a step further by going after employers that try to ensure their workers are in the U.S. legally.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I read that a day or 2 ago and was like WTF?

How can the company be fined for obeying Federal law?

Eh, writing is on the wall I guess.........

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

My guess this was part of a retaliation effort.

Maybe Union trouble, Labor Board charges, OSHA problems, etc.

And maybe even because of some political backlash.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

My guess this was part of a retaliation effort.

Maybe Union trouble, Labor Board charges, OSHA problems, etc.

And maybe even because of some political backlash.

That or Anarchy is the expected outcome?

When the Feds fine companies for obeying the law, and the Feds themselves refuse to obey the laws they took an oath to uphold?

"Houston we have a problem?"....

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Spin city.

It wasn't about going after people they knew were illegal but anyone they thought was, it was selectively used.

A Nebraska meatpacking company that authorities said illegally required foreign-born job applicants to show proof of their immigration status settled the case Monday with the U.S. Department of Justice. Nebraska Beef Ltd. did not ask similarly qualified U.S. citizens to provide the same documents while applying for the same jobs at its Omaha plant, the Justice Department said.

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Spin city.

It wasn't about going after people they knew were illegal but anyone they thought was, it was selectively used.

A Nebraska meatpacking company that authorities said illegally required foreign-born job applicants to show proof of their immigration status settled the case Monday with the U.S. Department of Justice. Nebraska Beef Ltd. did not ask similarly qualified U.S. citizens to provide the same documents while applying for the same jobs at its Omaha plant, the Justice Department said.

www.ibtimes.com...

I have to provide my documents to get a job!

Talk about spin versus the law? lol

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Except at this company you wouldn't.
That is the problem. They were selectively enforcing that.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Except at this company you wouldn't.
That is the problem. They were selectively enforcing that.

Really?

How do you know I don't look like someone who is in this country illegally?

Bottom line? I have to show my papers regardless what I look like!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

And the issue is here seeker is that they were applying one standard to one applicant and another to other applicant.
That is the spin from JW, they don't mention that part.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

And the issue is here seeker is that they were applying one standard to one applicant and another to other applicant.

I am quite sure in my life I have been denied jobs just because of the way I look. I can't prove it, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling that way.

What your claiming as the reason this happened I have not found. Mind sharing the proof of what your claiming?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That's kinda what I eluded to in the OP.

Still ironic however.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I am quite sure in my life I have been denied jobs just because of the way I look. I can't prove it, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling that way.

Cool has nothing to do with this.

What your claiming as the reason this happened I have not found. Mind sharing the proof of what your claiming?

I already did, it is in the my previous post.
If you don't want to read it I can't help you there.

Here it is again.
www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

But they did "mention that", along with links to a government statement.

I wonder if the "e-verify" gave a "negative" on some S.S. numbers?

"Positive" verifications would need no further "verifications".

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Cool has nothing to do with this.

I already did, it is in the my previous post.
If you don't want to read it I can't help you there.

Here it is again.
www.ibtimes.com...

Can you blame them?

Penalties for Employers Hiring Illegal Immigrants

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! Selective prosecution base on politics!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

And this issue was who they choose to apply it to, that is it.
It was discriminatory in the selection ofwho had to prove it, not why.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

And this issue was who they choose to apply it to, that is it.
It was discriminatory in the selection ofwho had to prove it, not why.

Like I said, selective prosecution! Dollars to donuts this company was interfering with another meat company that happened to palm off some money to a politician.

People can be fired at will in my state because the boss just doesn't like their hair cut without any repercussions whatsoever, yet a company asks for papers and it's a $200,000 fine?

I'll stick up for my fellow citizens and those who choose to come into the country "Legally". Why in the hell should they have more rights than I do?

Papers please?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Interesting ...if you want to work in Colorado you MUST show your ssi card to get hired,it has been that way for DECADES.
edit on 8-9-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I'll stick up for my fellow citizens and those who choose to come into the country "Legally". Why in the hell should they have more rights than I do?

Where are you getting this from on this story?
No where does it say that these are illegals that are being protected, that isn't the issue.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Holy jebus people.

The issue is that required one thing of one person and different things of others and based it off of where they were born!

It isn't about them trying to verify, it is about who they asked and who they didn't!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Where are you getting this from on this story?
No where does it say that these are illegals that are being protected, that isn't the issue.

Then why fine the company?

Papers are papers! I have to show mine as a citizen and I sure ass hell have no sympathy for someone who may be here illegally asking to prove that they are!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join