It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruger SR22, your opinions please.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have fired WWII era rounds though a buddies fifty cal with no issues. Quality ammo. Brass case and non corrosive primers last a looonnngggg time if kept coocool and dry. a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
Can anyone recommend a shell that has a long/stable shelf life please? Maybe a reason why one type last longer than others.

To add my knowledge in return; Buy a gallon of premix with stabilizer in a can for your 2 cycles. At the end of the season, start using it and when the last run runs, spray a little lubricant similar to WD40 in the carbs until it smokes and almost dies. This will make for a nice spring start.

Most modern, quality ammo, will keep a lifetime, if you stored in a dry, airtight container. In a 22 LR I like CCI, in my .45 and .556 I shoot PMC's . Good luck.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Notice how others here call them "plinkers" and "little" guns? I carry concealed everyday. No small "plinkers" for me...useless. I even stopped carrying my 9mm awhile ago...too light. I stay with subcompact large bore's. 45 ACP, .357 Magnum, 44 mag...thats about it. And they are the same exact size nearly as the Ruger...and just personal preference. Thats all.

Cant see daily carrying anything like a .22. But, I DO have a Derringer that shoots 22LRS...and I call that my "Oh my God Im gonna die!" gun...not super accurate, I'd only use it to put in someones face as a last and final resort...if my .357, 44 or 45's are empty..which they never are/would be.

I know any round can kill someone...but any that just goes "pffffttt!" when fired and not "BOOM"...isnt for me. I want to immediately stop the threat with the least amount of hollowpoint shots fired.

Ive digressed from your topic question I see...sorry. Ruger is a fine and reputable company. I had a Ruger 38 years ago....also light, but I loved that gun.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I've owned this gun before.

It is an excellent .22 LR pistol. But the sights on it suck and it basically follows suit with the Walther P22 which, to me, was a horrible gun.

The M&P 22 is a far superior firearm. I highly recommend it both for its outstanding accuracy and reliability.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ruger makes very good and affordable firearms. You can't go wrong with em.

Go to a shop and handle it. I have really liked a pistol and all its reviews until I handled it at a local shop. Just didn't seem to fit my hand too well.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have one and have no complaints and would buy another one again without hesitation. It probably makes more trips to the range than anything else. The only problem I've had is that about one in every 40 or 50 rounds of Winchester bulk ammo fails to eject, which I strongly suspect is actually caused by underpowered ammunition. I've used Remington Goldens and some crusty twenty year old Federals I threw in the box with them with no issues.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheridan91s
I have fired WWII era rounds though a buddies fifty cal with no issues. Quality ammo. Brass case and non corrosive primers last a looonnngggg time if kept coocool and dry. a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

My post specifically addressed .22 cal ammo. The largest pistol caliber I own is 45acp, and like your experience, have fired old production ammo with no issues. I have shot with a number of .22LR pistols, and they can be picky in the types of manufactured ammo that will feed and fire reliably. The 22 that is the least picky about ammo has been the Buckmark, the most picky the Sig Mosquito, IMO.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I've owned this gun before.

It is an excellent .22 LR pistol. But the sights on it suck and it basically follows suit with the Walther P22 which, to me, was a horrible gun.

The M&P 22 is a far superior firearm. I highly recommend it both for its outstanding accuracy and reliability.

I just picked up the M&P 22, and was impressed with the price and it came with 2 bbls: 1 threaded and 1 regular. I intend on range trials later this week, but reviews I've read thus far are highly favorable. I own a M&P 45, and it also came with 2bbls, the threaded mated with an Osprey 45. Can't beat either pistol for the price.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
All semi autos have preferred ammunition. Some are more fussy than others but it seems that the hotter .22's are better in that they provide more energy to work the slide.
.22 ammunition does go bad; not the internals but the bullets. The lead oxidizes over time and the oxide prevents chambering. Ammunition whose bullets are coated with wax or a heavier plating, lasts longer.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Thanks for all the information. I looked at the M&P22 and liked it, but missed the hammer. I am not sure why, but I feel like an exposed hammer is a good thing.

This is my smith 22S. It's fun, but a bit bulky. It shoots anything I put in it. If any misfires happen, the round is still struck well, so had to be bad powder.

Thanks all for the tips.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
So to update this, I purchased the SR22 and I love it. Fantastic weapon. It has shot some really garbage ammo with amazing results. I broke it in with cci ammo, as was suggested, but had some old stuff in the bottom of an old ammo bag and it all worked.

I also purchased the Walther P22 for my son. he likes it, and I don't. Which works great for me.
I like the safety aspect of the SR22 along with the reliability. I would recommend this weapon to anyone looking for a reliable plinker.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I got a Ruger SR22 for a wedding present from one of my groomsmen (awesome, I know!). I have only had it at the range once, but put a 550 Remington Golden Bullets and a 325 pack of Winchesters through it with no cleaning and zero issues. Adjustable sights are nice, had it dialed in after the first few mags. I prefer the sights on the MKII and MKIII series... prefer those guns in general actually, but they were good enough to reliably hit spent 12GA shotgun shell hulls at the 30 yard range. Trigger is a bit long and heavy in double action, but nice and smooth. Single action is a breeze. The magazine is a bit loose in the well, would prefer if it was a more positive fit, but all in all I really like the gun and could recommend it for the price. My wife is a fan of it too! (no... really!:lol

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheridan91s
Third on the Walther. I love shooting it.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I've tried the Ruger SR22, awesome gun.... In one day shot 500 dirty rounds of remington ammunition with no jams. It's on my to get list.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join