It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72% of refugees fleeing war and oppression are men

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

Also the exact age group of the majority of adult single males in Syria. Singles don't have to worry about leaving families in refugee camps etc..., they can just go.

Sure, and they don't have fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews......just leave them behind for ISIS to play with.

edit on 9-9-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Well that is odd. Should we assume they just left their families behind or that they were single? If single then I would wonder what percentage are part of the movement of terrorist threats in the refugees....also typically a male heavy group.

With that many refugees, I can't imagine how they are going to regulate anything or do checks on anyone.

To be specific...

When you click through the data, it is full of disclaimers and the gender break-down is from the Police in Italy, Malta etc. as they attempt to register Migrants.

What I strongly suspect is happening is that heads of families are being recorded for tracking, as would be cultural consistent both with the migrants and receiving countries.

Put simply...in those scenarios, the family head, usually a man, does the talking to the police.

What I find more interesting is the propaganda tactic employed in this OP aimed at lessening sympathy and support for the refugees? Is it a cousin to xenophobia and intolerance? An attempt to shore up the positions of those who do not want Europe to help these refugees? What's the aim here?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I guess women and children are much safer than men when it comes to oppression and violence.
The breakdown is
72% men
13% women
15% children

the little boy on the beach was sure used as a big propaganda opportunity so I'm not sure how they can justify 3 out of 4 refugees being male. So much for women and children first.

data.unhcr.org...

You need to read the data disclaimers..

And the United Nations Refugee Agency is the most accurate in reporting.

Syrians account for the vast majority of refugees right now..4 Million

Men 22%
Women 24%
Children 50%
2% elderly
data.unhcr.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Its the young and able that can run the farthest and fastest. If they had stayed behind with the women and children they wouldn't have made it.

Woah, woah... So you're saying these men left their families?

Perhaps it is sarcasm which I have missed, if so, sorry for being stupid!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5
Your second photo shows people dressed in winter clothing, walking through snow.

What are you (rather weakly) trying to proove?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I guess women and children are much safer than men when it comes to oppression and violence.
The breakdown is
72% men
13% women
15% children

the little boy on the beach was sure used as a big propaganda opportunity so I'm not sure how they can justify 3 out of 4 refugees being male. So much for women and children first.

data.unhcr.org...

I don't think you are in a position to judge. What is your point? Is your point that the majority are men, therefore they should not be helped? If so, where is your humanity? People are dying and need help.

There could be many, many legitimate reasons why it is mainly men risking their lives over the dangerous seas.

I have saw enough that I will happily welcome any refugees into the north of Ireland. If you can stomach seeing these poor people die needlessly then that is your choice but I for one will be lobbying my local politicians and supporting charities to help these refugees.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
Your second photo shows people dressed in winter clothing, walking through snow.

What are you (rather weakly) trying to prove?

I dunno?? Geography? that there are some cold mountain passes between Budapest and Austria?

Not sure what level of denial I am dealing with here?? Shall we have a weather debate?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

This fact is missing from most of the reports.

The UN themselves have admitted that about 75% of these 'refugees' are male, but they claim to have no data on the age of these males. Intuition (and viewing the photos) tells me they mostly fall in that 18-30 male demographic - which are statistically the most likely to be radicalized.

Uhh...Where has the UN said that 75% of the refugees are men?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: liamsquire

why won't Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, U.A.E. Iran, take these people in?.....they are wealthy, so they could afford it, the culture is the same, all are Islamic....and where is all this "Muslim hospitality and warmth to strangers" that we keep hearing about over and over?....it doesn't apply to fellow Muslims?.......we in the west have every right to be suspicious....remember it is religiously OK, and actually encouraged, to lie in the Quran to further the spread of Islam.
so I will stick to my xenophobic feeling regarding Muslims until they show that they can change.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

why won't Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, U.A.E. Iran, take these people in?....

Simple answer is this:

Those countries are the ones doing the fighting in Syria.

The Sunni countries fighting the Shia countries.

Because BOTH just love screwing up other peoples countries because they don't have the snips to go after each other directly.

Then drag everyone else in to the little Hatfield and McCoy centuries old blood feud.

So there's 'no' reason for them too.

That would be like going in to the Lions den.
edit on 9-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Serious question, did anyone compare this refugee crisis to past ones, because using numbers without comparing them to similar ones is pretty much not using facts but making things up as they go.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I agree with you 100% the exodus is too well managed, to propagandized and people should never let their guard down, just because middle eastern countries have problems (they been fighting each other and their own for centuries due to tribal rivalries) it doesn't mean that the expansion of their own believes should be stopped and that what they have born into believing will chance overnight.

People sometimes are so hard headed that a couple of pictures of women and children obfuscate them from what could be the biggest invasion in history, but that is ok, in a couple years we will be hearing about the complains, hopefully ATS will still be here so we can dig into this threads we have right now.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Glad to read your post. We've had some refugees from Syria here in northern Germany for a while now, can't see a single thread yet. Except for some Neo-Nazis provoking agitation, the usual crap.

Some people willingly exchange their loving humanity with some xenophobic fears. What a pitty.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Woah, woah... So you're saying these men left their families?

Perhaps it is sarcasm which I have missed, if so, sorry for being stupid!

They had to. it cost too much to afford the "crossing". The comparison I made was with Mexico, something we in California are familiar with.

"Illegal" immigrants pay hefty fees to be led across the border and try to find work, the proceeds which they send back to their families in Mexico. Maybe it was a poor comparison. I based that on the reports of the same sot of human trafficking charging huge fees to cross the Mediterranean from Libya.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: Scouse100

Also the exact age group of the majority of adult single males in Syria. Singles don't have to worry about leaving families in refugee camps etc..., they can just go.

Sure, and they don't have fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews......just leave them behind for ISIS to play with.

No, as I said before, if you actually look at the source you will see that the TOTAL number of refugees is evenly split male/female, it is just that more males are arriving by sea. So no they are not leaving them for 'ISIS to play with'. Perhaps they are being left in refugee camps or in Turkey etc... (possibly temporarily), but the point I was making is that this does not necessarily make them ISIS fighters.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

The UK media have been showing how Germany have been showing a very friendly and warm welcome to the refugees. It is very heartwarming to see and I hope it embarrasses David Cameron into agreeing to do more in the UK. I cannot praise you guys in Germany enough for your stance.
I hope the other Euro nations can stand up and be counted.

All the facts show that immigrants provide a positive effect on the UK economy but there are some right wing attitudes that simply default to stereotypical views and factually incorrect perceptions on immigrants. The right wing UK media have played a massive role in generating this perception through regular scaremongering headlines and it is hard to break down these views among those who are ignorant or less well informed.

At the crux of the matter - this is a humanitarian crises. Our generation have a chance to do something remarkable, to leave our mark in history, to leave a message to our future generations - 'We are humanity, we will protect one another and we will prevail.'

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com...

Why wade into a discussion and insist on your version of reality when you aren't even staying current on the information?

Just for the feelz?
edit on 9-9-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Thanks a lot for your insight and best wishes. We are too big to fail, indeed.

But on a sidenote I'm rather unhappy with things here.

I don't know if you can find any english reports on the current situation in Lübeck, but it's a damnd shame. We have some very nasty laws in place, you know... the sort of bullsh!t forbidding immigrants to leave the first EU-state they stranded into. But there were 200 of them in Lübeck, on a train to Oldenburg where they ought to get registered by our famous bureaucracy, trying to get to Denmark and Sweden.
As they left the train to demonstrate for their right of free passage (which I find rather human as many of them have friends and relatives waiting for them at their destination further north) a lot of Police arrived and the train (with many kids inside) left without a note or any word of advice on the loudspeakers. Panicking parents had to be brought to Oldenburg in police-cars, where they could finally reunite with their families. I really hope there are some lawyers already out on the barricades to sue our frigging state for this stupid escalation.

"More humanity in bureaucracy!" would be my slogan of choice for this mess.

edit on 9-9-2015 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com...

Why wade into a discussion and insist on your version of reality when you aren't even staying current on the information?

Just for the feelz?

That is the same data in the OP???? I already showed that is (a) Sea Arrivals in Italy and Greece, primarily from Egypt and Libya and (b) is only what is reported by local police...s of families.

I provided actually relevant data in my other post along with links...

You are using BS Data and hoping people don't look too closely. Pssst..What is the difference between Mediterranean and European???

Here is the SYRIAN/EUROPE Data..SAME SITE
data.unhcr.org...

Why again are you presenting data on refugees from Egypt and Libya as if they are fleeing Isil???

edit on 9-9-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
No use looking for truth in a mud puddle. I think your pre-conceived notions are making the issue seem more complicated than it is.

A. Most of the Syrian immigrants, some of whom are legitimately seeking asylum, arrive first in Greece by boat.

B. How do you expect us to factor in the unreported immigrants? Why is this even relevant, unless you think all the women and children are sneaking in unreported?

The OP is about the flood of 'refugees' to Europe. Only half of them come from Syria. I suggest you look over the links again. It's all there.
edit on 9-9-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join