It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City says it has reached $6.4M wrongful death settlement with family of Freddie Gray

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Source

The city of Baltimore says it has reached a $6.4 million wrongful death settlement with the family of Freddie Gray.

Gray died in April after he suffered a critical spine injury while he was in police custody. Six Baltimore police officers face criminal charges stemming from Gray's death. Gray, who was black, was critically injured April 12 in the back of a prisoner transport van after he was arrested.

The death of the 25-year-old Gray sparked protests, rioting and unrest that shook Baltimore for days.

The settlement still needs the approval of a board that oversees city spending. They meet Wednesday.

$6.4MM settlement....apparently it still needs approval but damn that is a big payout. I will be watching this story for a bit as I am wondering if the amount will be approved.

If approved, would that not hinder the ability for a court to hear the cases of the defendants without being biased?
edit on 9/8/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I don't know the details of this case completely but, the upshot, regardless of fault or intent, is that the city will likely borrow and/or raise taxes to pay for all of this (much more than $6.4M, I would say).

One of the many problems with these scenarios is that the budget will effectively or actually be raised as a result of this incident. An intolerable consequence for criminal behavior resulting in the death or injury of a citizen (again, the details may not bare that interpretation out in criminal court in this case).

So, whatever your position on this issue, we can't allow it to be profitable for municipalities to kill their citizens.

Perhaps as a new tradition we can all understand that all legal payouts and their related costs are cut directly from the budget year of their occurrence followed by an equivalent property tax reduction in perpetuity.
edit on 8-9-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Geez....just read in the Baltimore sun:

e Rawlings-Blake administration plans to pay Freddie Gray's family $6.4 million as a settlement for civil claims in his arrest and death — an extraordinary payment in a lawsuit against city police.

The settlement — which is expected to be approved at Wednesday's meeting of the city's spending panel — will be paid out over two years, according to the mayor's office. The five-member board is controlled by Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

The payment is larger than the total of more than 120 other lawsuits brought against the police department for alleged brutality and misconduct since 2011.

That sum is larger than the combined total of all other law suits against the city since 2011. I really wonder if it will get approved.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I don't know the details of this case completely but, the upshot, regardless of fault or intent, is that the city will likely borrow and/or raise taxes to pay for all of this (much more than $6.4M, I would say).

One of the many problems with these scenarios is that the budget will effectively or actually be raised as a result of this incident. An intolerable consequence for criminal behavior resulting in the death or injury of a citizen (again, the details may not bare that interpretation out in criminal court in this case).

So, whatever your position on this issue, we can't allow it to be profitable for municipalities to kill their citizens.

Yeah....this is going to burden the tax payers more than anything. Sucks how the $hit rolls down hill.....

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

So in other words the city is backing the police to prevent them from being tried in a court of law. So the people of Baltimore are really holding the bag on this. Their tax dollars which pays for the cities liability insurance will be used for the pay out. How convenient!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Another example of big government failure start to finish.

And of course, the taxpayers are on the hook for the money.

It would be interesting to see who actually has been chopping up the fees and commissions so far.

I bet there's a lot of crony connections.

And naturally, this will set precedent for future lawsuits.

IMO, all part of the plan. Loot the Treasuries.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
So in other words the city is backing the police to prevent them from being tried in a court of law.

Where did you get that from? This was a civil judgment that has nothing to do with the criminal trial of the six police officers which is still moving forward.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Is the "officer" responsible for that mans murder still on paid vacation?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TOYBEAR
Is the "officer" responsible for that mans murder still on paid vacation?

There are 6 of them and they are all in jail awaiting trial. I would not want to be one of them released on the streets right now....they would likely end up dead. Probably in their own holding cells away from the rest of the jail/prison to keep them from being killed inside.
edit on 9/8/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

There are 6 of them and they are all in jail awaiting trial.

They all posted bail.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

And when people wonder why their taxes went up, they'll blame depleted law enforcement resources... mumble out some stuff... but make sure riots and higher murder rate are clear and no one will bother looking at the city expenditures and remembering the payouts made on behalf of poor policing.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sorry, my bad.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: greencmp

And when people wonder why their taxes went up, they'll blame depleted law enforcement resources... mumble out some stuff... but make sure riots and higher murder rate are clear and no one will bother looking at the city expenditures and remembering the payouts made on behalf of poor policing.

Agreed, it is self-propagating.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Sorry, my bad.

No worries.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

What will it cost to forget about it? Making the family sign a hundred documents to not sue later, talk to the media, publish anything, etc.

The "Hush Fund".

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There are 6 of them and they are all in jail awaiting trial.

They all posted bail.

I would guess they are all under protection then? The last thing I would want to do would be let out on the street as a LEO after I was just arrested and presumed guilty in Baltimore....talk about having to look over your shoulder all the time.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I would guess they are all under protection then?

I have not found the stipulations of their bail but it is typical to allow he defendant to travel within the state without issue.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If approved, would that not hinder the ability for a court to hear the cases of the defendants without being biased?

Not necessarily--it's up to the judge to determine if the sitting jury can set aside any preconceived notions in order to judge the case on its evidence and the charges on their elements and see if they mesh.

Out-of-court settlements are not a legal admission of guilt as much as a defendant saying that a payout is better than the cost, time and effort (and possible further negative publicity) of a specific case.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Not necessarily--it's up to the judge to determine if the sitting jury can set aside any preconceived notions in order to judge the case on its evidence and the charges on their elements and see if they mesh.

Out-of-court settlements are not a legal admission of guilt as much as a defendant saying that a payout is better than the cost, time and effort (and possible further negative publicity) of a specific case.

It still is a bit unusual to settle the civil portion before the criminal.

In the off chance that all six are exonerated the city settled on a case that could possibly have had no criminal wrong doing.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

It still is a bit unusual to settle the civil portion before the criminal.

In the off chance that all six are exonerated the city settled on a case that could possibly have had no criminal wrong doing.

Possible the settlement hinges on a clause like that? If they are exonerated then no payment will be issued kid of thing?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join