It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Officers Fire 84 shots at Suspect, Miss 83 Times

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This is impressive on a whole different level. Four different officers fired a total of 84 shots and only one bullet hits the guy, and in the calf.

I'd love to know where the other hailstorm of bullets went that they fired off in a residential area.

The police should probably go back through firearm training if they are this poor of a shot.

Who knows though, maybe the were dealing with the real life Flash and the guy was just that fast

Ghost

Firearm Fumble

An attempted murder suspect who fired at NYPD officers was met with a barrage of 84 bullets from police – but a staggering 83 of those shots missed the man completely.
Jerrol Harris, 27, ran from police early on Friday morning after allegedly robbing and shooting a man in the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York.

The victim, 52-year-old Leon Faison, was shot in the arm after he discovered Harris inside his car attempting to steal items at around 1:10am local time, ABC 7 reported.

He chased after Harris, spotting a pair of cops along the way. Faison provided them with a description of the suspect, and officers soon spotted Harris running about eight blocks from the scene of the crime.

But Harris saw the cops as well, and immediately fired 11 shots at the officers.

“He then gets behind a parked car and he starts to shoot at the cops," NYPD Deputy Commissioner Stephen Davis told New York Daily News.

Harris managed to hit an unmarked police car, shattering its windshield.
The 27-year-old ran away once again, with four officers firing a total of 52 shots at him. Each and every bullet missed Harris.

Despite being uninjured, Harris soon realized that he couldn't go further because his path was blocked by a patrol car in the middle of the street, with two officers waiting beside the vehicle.

At this point, two officers fired an additional 32 shots, with only one of the bullets hitting Harris in the left calf.

Responding to the shots, one neighbor by the last name of Caulk told ABC 7 that he “couldn't believe how long it was going on,” adding that the bullets “just kept coming and kept coming and I was like, 'is this really happening.'”

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
83 potential victims and no one would have to answer for it, but the guy they were chasing. They're logic is, '"If we weren't shooting at you, we wouldn't have missed and placed so many innocent lives in danger. It's your fault"
Never mind that he should have been down with the first 2 shots. I mean, that's what they tell us. We are supposed to be sharpshooters and God help us if we miss. They get to spray and pray.
edit on 8-9-2015 by DAVID64 because: spelling correction

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Cops get to use taxpayer funded target ranges that are there specifically for them to use and get ammunition provided to them too.... right?

Something isn't working right.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ghostrager

Moving targets are harder to hit, the innocent and weak make for much better shooting.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
NYPD hardly ever get marksmanship training. Training is taken seriously by some departments but the NYPD apparently considers it a very low priority.

Cases like this are fun to throw in the face of the anti gun crowd who think that only "well trained police" should carry guns. Cops have shot a hell of a lot more innocent bystanders and unarmed men than the concealed-carry crowd have.
edit on 9/8/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I agree that 84 shots seems excessive however I don't care how much training I've had, nothing can prepare you for an actual gunfight. Multiple factors include a moving target which is not any game hunting so don't even compare. Also the officers fear of being shot and killed themselves weigh in the back of their head.

The focus should not be on the cops but the perpetrator that initializes the problem. That's what we keep forgetting in these cases. What is the root cause analysis. None of this would have happened had the dumbass done what was right in the first place.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Not surprising. This is standard operating procedure for the storm
troopers disguised as cops we have walking around today.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
I agree that 84 shots seems excessive however I don't care how much training I've had, nothing can prepare you for an actual gunfight. Multiple factors include a moving target which is not any game hunting so don't even compare. Also the officers fear of being shot and killed themselves weigh in the back of their head.

The focus should not be on the cops but the perpetrator that initializes the problem. That's what we keep forgetting in these cases. What is the root cause analysis. None of this would have happened had the dumbass done what was right in the first place.

Correct, if the victim had been armed, this whole scenario would not have played out.

Heck, maybe the thief wouldn't have even tried.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation

Well, there's that... but lack of training is still a huge problem around the country and there needs to be attention drawn to that fact. Too many police officers can barely shoot well enough to qualify and in an actual gunfight, you will fight like you train.

When there is ample proof of police officers hiding behind cover, shooting over the top of it without looking, that's a training issue that obviously needs to be addressed.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

I agree that the suspect was a complete moron, and had the cops been more accurate and killed him it would have been justified.

But in this case, ALL the focus should be on the cops incompetence in handling a fire arm. Imagine if one of those bullets had hit someone.

These police officers should be demoted to meter maids.

Ghost

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I almost wish police didn't shoot well..

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Citizens who carry a gun legally take the time to learn their weapon and respect it, the reason is that they have it to protect themselves and not hurt anyone who is an innocent bystander. Alot of police officers don't care if they hurt anyone and do not take the time to be proficient in shooting and see that gun as a sign of power without the responsibility that comes with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I read somewhere that coalition troops shot 250k bullets for every insurgent killed. So the cops didn't do to bad....lol

jonathanturley.org...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Ready! Fire! Aim!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It gets different when the perp is firing, what was it, eleven times at them?
the Adrenalin gets flowing don'cha know?

I would suspect that none of you people would put your life on the line being cops or in the miltary, or join the Peace Corp or Green peace, etc. Get my drift?

edit on 8-9-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Cops get to use taxpayer funded target ranges that are there specifically for them to use and get ammunition provided to them too.... right?

Something isn't working right.

"taxpayer funded target ranges"

New tax payer funded shooting ranges are called 1st street, 2nd street...

Jude

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

It also gets flowing when you hear Ping! Ping! Ping! and realize that the noise is being made by bullets going through the helicopter that you are in. It is even worse when you are not allowed to shoot back.

Been there done that, got a scar on my arm from it.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
eh nevermind....

2nd
edit on 8-9-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If we took this incident at face value, it would seem to be that laws against firing guns inside city limits are just silly laws.
I mean these cops were supposedly aiming at the guy and he only got shot once out of 84 expended rounds.

I am being facetious, of course.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: butcherguy

It gets different when the perp is firing, what was it, eleven times at them?
the Adrenalin gets flowing don'cha know?

I would suspect that none of you people would put your life on the line being cops or in the miltary, or join the Peace Corp or Green peace, etc. Get my drift?

You speak as if I have never been asked to perform a task when adrenalin was flowing through my veins. I have done exactly that.
I have been shot at and missed.
Some people shoot more accurately when the SHTF.
Where is your drift anyway?
edit on b000000302015-09-08T10:42:16-05:0010America/ChicagoTue, 08 Sep 2015 10:42:16 -05001000000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join