It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorblind Man Gets Color For His Birthday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My oldest son is colorblind.
I would very much like for him to see what he's been missing out on all these years.
That said because of colorblindness he often notices things others miss.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

A double edged sword then??

How early can you usually find that out about your child?

My daughter isn't colorblind but she's been in glasses since preschool. They sent a note home, she's blind as a bat and I was always amazed that they could tell that since she could even read yet.

She took after me only back then nobody usually knew until you were older in less you were walking into walls.

Is there no treatment for it at all? I know I could google it, but Google has never been colorblind so...

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: Wolfenz

That was one of my favorites too! There were a few that left me in awe. What amazed me most were the ones that stopped and looked into the eyes of their child/spouse and truly seeing them for the first time... In color. I can't imagine being married or having kids and never seeing their eye color.

Thanks for posting this one. There were many that I wanted to post after I started looking but didn't want to over do it, so I am glad someone else did it,

Your Welcome ,

as for my color blindness .

it is mostly of the off White and light yellow i cant tell apart,

my grand father joined up for the Army at the start of WW2
they, wouldn't let him in because of his color blindness ,
although he was drafted anyway. but his color blindness was
Reds and Greens , so its Hereditary i would assume .

although i can see vibrant colors , I just can't see Yellow and White well

Strangely When i wear yellow tinted glasses/goggles the one that are used for
riding sleds or skiing , the colors really pop out there,
I think if one want's to see like how i see would use yellow light tinted glasses.

Too Add:
I find Interesting , and I have it naturaly.. well, just a tiny fraction.

What is the Best Color for Sunglasses?
www.rit-mcsl.org...

So why would anyone choose yellow sunglasses? It turns out that yellow glasses can actually help us to see more contrast and detail in a scene. They do this by removing the blue light. Blue light is the most difficult for our eyes to focus and that makes blue things look a bit blurry. Blue light is also scattered a lot by the air and water in the atmosphere and that reduces contrast, or our ability to see things. Thus, if we remove the blue light with yellow glasses, we are removing the light that is scattered around a lot in the world and the light that is focussed the most poorly by our eyes. The result is a sharper and more contrasty image. That is often helpful for athletes trying to perform well in bright light. Also, the increase in contrast actually gives us the perception that things are brighter, even though the glasses have actually removed some light.

edit on 32015WednesdayfAmerica/Chicago9251 by Wolfenz because: added link

edit on 32015WednesdayfAmerica/Chicago9251 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Is there no treatment for it at all?

Negative. The condition is caused by a mutation on the X chromosome.

But even IF there was a treatment, I would never take it. Some people might look for perfection, and I respect people who want to eliminate their defects. But personally, colour-blindness made me who I am. My brain works the way it works because of my "oddities". And ultimately, I believe that such "oddities" are not defects - they are things to embrace, because it makes each of us different.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wolfenz
but his color blindness was
Reds and Greens , so its Hereditary i would assume .

Yes, it is hereditary. Parents pass down the mutation to their children. The mutation is located on the X chromosome - making sons more likely to show signs than daughters, since women have two X chromosomes (the other X chromosome acts as a backup).

What is the Best Color for Sunglasses?

For red/green colour blindness, I use red glasses. The logic: the red glass will let red light pass, but cut green lights. So when I am in doubt about the colour of something, I check through a red glass; if the colour is red, it'll show up as being bright through the glass, and if its colour is green, it'll show up as being dark through the glass. A variant of this technique is used by the Hubble Telescope to determine the colours of stellar objects.

Additionally, I believe that if you are confusing yellow with white, it means that your peak sensitivity matches the colour yellow - it might mean you are colour-blind to other colours too. You can always check for Ishihara tests to know more about the extent of your perception anomaly.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thanks for the extra details in helping my understanding, although I would then say how do you know red and blue? But when I think upon it and having an altered colour set - I see how it would be possible to deduce a colour.

For instance, I remember when Fluoro colours came out, I had not seen them before, something was very different compared to the muted browns and soft colours of the seventies. But I instantly could see green, yellow, orange even though I had not come across those kinds of colours in that striking vivid way before.

It was a pretty ignorant thing to say on my part I will say, so apologies if I offended you or anyone else. Kanga is right, with all the bulltish on the internet these days it's quite hard to not be suspicious of these things on the internet, I blame videos like Solar Roadways!

Good on you for embracing your colour blindness

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys

Thanks for the extra details in helping my understanding, although I would then say how do you know red and blue?

Well, blue I can see - along with yellow. The perception anomaly is caused by a lack of cones (colour sensors in the eyes) dedicated to sensing reds or greens.

But there indeed is a rarer condition called achomatopsia, in which affected people will see no colours at all - no red, no yellow, no blue.

apologies if I offended you or anyone else.

Your apologies are not necessary, I actually enjoy talking about this.

Good on you for embracing your colour blindness

It gives one a stronger sense of solidarity with the biosphere. Did you know that most mammals (exceptions being some primates) and many reptiles (such as snakes) all have forms of colour blindness? Yes, that includes Kangaroos - wink at the OP.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join