It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Interesting that you say that since its progressives who are for revising history.

Yes letting the truth be known is a bad thing isn't it?

One of the things Hitler did to gain full control was take away guns. How do you reconcile that with your progressive sensibilities?

Ah yes the Hitler gun control lie. The law passed in 1938 only applied to handguns not rifles or shotguns. In fact it made it easier to get rifles and shotguns. The 1938 revisions completely deregulated the acquisition and transfer of rifles and shotguns, as was the possession of ammunition. It also lowered the purchase age from 20 to 18.

On top of that we are seeing the Great Social Experiment in Europe crumble, and yet you progressives wanna adopt the same policies.

It is the EU that is crumbling not individual nations.

You call some of us "regressives", but tbh I'd rather be that than completely duped because "feelings".

No you just happy to be duped because of a lack of education but then again the conservatives have always wanted their followers to be a little on the dumb side. That makes it easier to start wars with nations that never attacked America.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

a reply to: buster2010

Profound Statements.

Requires study.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Publicity getter. That is all this woman amounts to. Is there an "american language"? This was a non issue in the beginning as now. The first generation may not speak the home language, but the children do.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Maybe she can demand other people to speak "American" when she stops speaking stupid

Oh, that's not going to happen. That's her onscreen persona & it's gained her a lot of money. There's no way she'll stop pretending to be "folksy" and actually speak like a legit politician.

It's the same thing with Dubya. Dude convinced the conservative base that he was "just one of the guys" & convinced the world that he was too stupid to be held accountable for his actions. I've been around enough real hustlers to recognize one when I see one.

(Herman Cain was another example. He's the former head of a Federal Reserve branch but convinced their base that he was like them by talking brash & acting like he didn't know basic info. Apparently that persona works well with that base, which is why Ben Carson started acting like an idiot once he became a politician.)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta
Can you find me that written in the constitution that the one language to be spoken is English ?

Maybe the fact that the Constitution was written in ENGLISH!

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
ahh, sarah palin again!

i am still not entirely sure if she s not a comedian playing the role of, well sarah palin.

Funny nobody noted it yet: she said if you are in america, you should be here ILLegaly.

to me that indicates she does not know the 'american' language herself.

but the even funnier joke: "yeah um ah i dont know what it has to do with tolerance" followed by "either speak american or get the hell outta here"

pure comedy gold right here.

why isn't there a trump/palin ticket? that would be so entertaining to watch, at least from the outside..

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I don't believe that it ever occurred to the founders and architects of the document to make an official language. Most of them were bi-lingual. Most Europeans spoke English and french or Irish gaelic. And making a law and official language would have limited the fighters for the Revolutionary War.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

You said the magic word...courtesy. The people that come here and want to change America, speak their own language, demand rights for their own customs, etc. are not and will never be American. America was built by foreigners...we all came from somewhere else when you trace back far enough. But Americans have decided to join together under a handful of beliefs and share a language, a way of life and still maintain individuality. Illegals and other aliens? Different story. They are thieves here to take from our country, not to become part of it. They are here to use our rights to gain something for themselves and either send it back home, or take it back home. And that is another key word...HOME. America is my home. If it is NOT your home...you are not an American.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Actually this is rather funny because the United States doesn't have an "Official Language".

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: JIMC5499

I don't believe that it ever occurred to the founders and architects of the document to make an official language. Most of them were bi-lingual. Most Europeans spoke English and french or Irish gaelic. And making a law and official language would have limited the fighters for the Revolutionary War.

You should see the info about Thomas Jefferson & Arabic. He not only studied the Qur'an and learned basic Arabic from it, but he also hosted the first Iftar at the White House. He even had mealtime changed from 3:30pm to sunset during Ramadan, to accommodate a Muslim envoy.

There's a lot of info about it, but here's one place to get you started:
The Jefferson Qur'an

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've spoken fluent German my entire life and within 6 months of my two year stay I had to stop telling people I'm from America. Not because I'm ashamed mind you, but because most Germans speak English and as soon as they find out you're a real live American the rest of the conversation ends up being in English.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

So what's the problem ?

This guy in the video said the same thing.

Where is his 'criticism' ??????????????

Obama says learn english 'crickets' .Palin says the same thing all hell breaks loose.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
For me, it all comes down to whether or not people want to be divided or united. There are over 200 languages spoken here so it would only make sense that we have one common language to unite us all. Worked well in the past when immigrants were required to speak English. That way, everyone could understand and get to know each other.
edit on 9-9-2015 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: Kapusta

I am on my way to Germany tomorrow and can't speak a lick of German! I am going to demand they accommodate me by providing me with papers in English and force them to hire people to understand me instead of me learning German!

Sounds AWESOME!

My mate is just back from Germany, couldn't speak a lick either but managed to get by, even ordering IT electrical equipment. He remembered a few phrases he picked up from watching the longest day. OUT, QUICK PIGDOG etc.

Went to the pub, 3 stein later managed to walk into a plate glass window on the way out. Those Germans sure know how to clean a window.

edit on 9-9-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Worked well in the past when immigrants were required to speak English. That way, everyone could understand and get to know each other.

It may have been, and still is, a requirement to gain citizenship and certain visas but, immigrants in general have never been required to speak english, especially illegal ones since, they are not out to fill any requirements.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.
You know what would be NICER? If Americans would treat other English speaking Americans, regardless of color or ethnicity, like American citizens; and not like people who just arrived to America on a raft. I'm not just talking "black", but "hispanic", "asian", or "middle eastern". You know what English speaking Americans sound like. You KNOW they were BORN and RAISED in America! So, be "courteous" and treat them like they're "Americans" because "white" people arrived here from Europe. Your ancestors aren't American, so what gives you the "right" to act like this is "your land"?

My ancestors are full blooded, born in America, Americans; as am i. And yet, i still get treated like a foreign immigrant, in my own country????? A country that i proudly, but naively, served????

Courtesy is a 2 way street!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Screw the English/American language...along with all of the other overly complex languages out there. We need the big brains to come together and decide on the optimal Earth language that all children are required to learn first.

Criteria:
1. be easy to learn
2. have a phonetic alphabet, 1 letter per sound (I think we'd have like 40 letters)*
3. allow "misspelled" words **
4. no multiple meaning words
5. no silent letters in words

* they really need to bring back discarded letters of old...the letter "thorn" for the TH sound for example.

** Did you know that up until recently there was no such thing as misspelled words in English? Words could be spelled in different ways, as long as you got your idea across. How much time in school is wasted learning the exact spelling of "receipt" and "library" that could be spent on practical lessons, like how to manage finances? ... although with phonetic alphabet maybe this rule is not needed.

The IPA is a good start...but it needs to be improved on
edit on 9/9/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/9/2015 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Wow there is some serious strawmanning and obfuscation going on in this thread.

As mentioned before, speaking the national language is a requirement for citizenship in many countries. It is part and parcel with being an active and valuable citizen. You have to be able to fluently understand what is happening locally and nationally to be an effective voting citizen. If you are voting uninformed, you are basically a random number introduced into the system, and your tally mark is utterly worthless.

Do you need to speak the native language to be a migrant or visa worker? No, but that's not exactly the issue at stake here.

This is something that takes massive forethought. Treating migration to a new country in such a non-chalant manner is disgusting and rude.

Moving to a foreign country you have no previous attachment to, and expecting them to accomodate you? I'm sorry but you will never find an argument that will convince me this is somehow Ok, and the rest of the world agrees with me, trust me.

In fact, I'd say it's almost absurd in its level of discourtesy.

I am an American but I've been to over twenty countries and lived in three countries besides my own. I've discussed this issue with German, British, and French citizens and they said that while they did have non-national languages in use, it was considered common courtesy to learn the local dominant language and fully participate in society, especially if you had intention of staying permanently.

For instance, many Germans speak English. My brother lived there for over 10yrs and I lived there for several months.

I've hear from multiple Germans that an English speaker moving to Germany and refusing to make an effort to speak German would be viewed as extremely rude, the height of ignorance and entitlement. Other foreign nationals feel very similar IME.

I find it hilarious how little folks really understand about how harsh the rest of the world is with immigration and naturalization vs. America, and then when we Americans want people to make the slightest effort for the privelege of living here (yes more effort than just simply illegally hopping the border) we are somehow the bad guys. Wow.

new topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join