It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Maybe she can demand other people to speak "American" when she stops speaking stupid

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Gothmog

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil in exchange for citizenship?

Did they care when the Italians immigrated to this country? They didn't care when my grandfather came over from Nazi Germany.

This country was built on the backs of the illegal immigrants. That is what made America.

Ultra-nationalist propaganda and rhetoric is what will damn this nation to it's end. Don't believe me? Ask Nazi Germany how it worked out.

Are you kidding ? You have to be , right ? Check when the immigration laws were put into place , please.

This isn't about immigration law. My post was about the spirit of America and what made it prosperous.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Given that American English is simply a language misspelled, mispronounced, and shafted beyond comprehension, I find it highly ironic that anyone is getting aggravated about this.

Now in ENGLAND... That's a different kettle of fish. All I know is, if you pronounce aluminium "aloominum", then no matter how solid a patriot one might be, one has no business complaining at others inability to speak English, since one is surely incapable of it oneself.

On the matter of immigrants not having even the meagre grasp of English required to get by in America, where a decent percentage of words are not even SPELLED correctly (yes, honour has a U in it, as do many other words which the Americanised version of the language fails to correctly spell), that is tricky.

*friendly banter regarding the utter pointlessness of American English as a separate entity from the original, and still the best version of the language now ends*
Most of the immigrants here in the UK, arrive with a better grasp of the language than many of the local school children around here. There is a lovely family from Turkey next door to us, and their kids, who are no older than six and three I would say, are both picking the local language up VERY well!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I do apologize Kapusta,
Your name by the way caught my attention when you joined because it rings a bell in my Fathers tongue.( Hungarian)

I love diversity but it is crucial to adapt, I have experienced this my self on two continents. Yes it is wonderful to hear a multitude of languages spoken but to be comprehensible or at the least respectful is warranted.

I had no intention to offend.
How many countries do you want me to list where I made an effort to be polite and respectful?
They ALL appreciated it and welcomed my effort. I had many wonderful encounters because I was willing to compromise and enter into a relationship. A linguistic relationship.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Speaking "American" is different than "English". There are different dialects of English and to me true English speaking people come from the UK. We have always spoken American here, even when we visit an authentic Mexican restaurant.

Let racism divide as much as it wants, Food will bring us back together.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Then why do Progressives FORBID anyone other than themselves bringing up Nazi Germany?

You are backwards on this because progressives think everyone should be able to research any aspect of history. It is the regressives that want to deny research into anything to do with the Nazis.

Nothing wrong with forgetting the past, but why use it as a political tool TODAY when not a GD one of us alive had anything to do with it?

forgetting the past is very bad. Would you want the rise of another Hitler? If you don't know the past then how could you stop the events that led to his rise in power?

Progressives are doing nothing more than repeating history with their divisive and hateful rhetoric by acting like they want equality when in reality all they are doing is creating more division and hatred.

Nothing could be further from the truth. They are simply pointing out what others want to turn a blind eye to because it doesn't effect them. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Never Mind the fact that ALASKA is home to 20+ differing languages you dumb truck !

No one said English only.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Then why do Progressives FORBID anyone other than themselves bringing up Nazi Germany?

You are backwards on this because progressives think everyone should be able to research any aspect of history. It is the regressives that want to deny research into anything to do with the Nazis.

Nothing wrong with forgetting the past, but why use it as a political tool TODAY when not a GD one of us alive had anything to do with it?

forgetting the past is very bad. Would you want the rise of another Hitler? If you don't know the past then how could you stop the events that led to his rise in power?

Progressives are doing nothing more than repeating history with their divisive and hateful rhetoric by acting like they want equality when in reality all they are doing is creating more division and hatred.

Nothing could be further from the truth. They are simply pointing out what others want to turn a blind eye to because it doesn't effect them. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Then why is our country ready to implode?

People are defending those who are calling for our police to be killed! I have seen people call our men and women in the military "Scum Bags" and you know what? The people doing it are not those who are called Conservatives but those who admittedly admit they are Anarchists and Progressives! I also might add that they are also the SAME bunch on the band wagon who demand a change of the 2nd?

Either their full of it or their too stupid to realize what will happen when our law enforcers decide to say," eff it I'm done!" Our military says "eff it I'm done", then what?

I don't see Conservatives bashing our police. I don't see Conservatives calling our military "Scumbags"!

So what is it?

Not sure how old you are, but I remember the same bunch who called our troops "Baby Killers" coming back from Viet Nam who now support abortion!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It is or at least it was required for immigrants who came here to speak English. It unites us all. With over 200 languages being spoken here, does anyone realistically believe that we should learn all those languages just to be able to communicate with one another? I prefer to see people united and able to communicate with each other, get to know each other and enjoy each others company rather than be divided.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil war in exchange for citizenship?

Did they care when the Italians immigrated to this country? They didn't care when my grandfather came over from Nazi Germany.

This country was built on the backs of the illegal immigrants. That is what made America.

Ultra-nationalist propaganda and rhetoric is what will damn this nation to it's end. Don't believe me? Ask Nazi Germany how it worked out.

You are misinformed---badly. Immigrants of the 1920s and forward until recently were avid to learn English so they could acclimate into American culture. My father was a laborer in the automobile plants in Detroit during those times. He taught Italians, Germans and Chinese to speak English in return for meals. He had only an eighth-grade education but in 1918 that was commiserate with today's high school education---and better in some really basic ways because he learned Latin in a tiny one-room school. His Latin allowed him to understand the Romance languages but as he put it, "The Chinese didn't know Latin so that was a hard go."

I speak Southern American. I studied Mandarin for a year and was able to barely converse but my calligraphy skills were impressive to my professors. I picked up Jamaican creole in about a week and when in Mexico I could get by with Spanish I picked up from friends. I never stayed long enough there to become immersed. I understand more than I speak. I picked up a bit of Japanese one summer from one of my students but most of it has left me. I spent several summers studying Cherokee and Choctaw, my great-grandmothers' languages but I would have to be immersed in the culture to be able to speak with any fluency.
My linguist husband has studied Spanish, German, Russian, French, Middle English and Mandarin but is only fluent in Russian and French because those are the only ones he speaks regularly. Oh, he can recite the prologue to the Canterbury Tales in the original.

I have no idea where you got the notion that languages didn't matter among early-20th century immigrants but I can assure you that you have been misinformed.
Nobody is speaking against being bilingual but if you are going to live in a country, it is basic good sense and courtesy to be able to speak the language of that country.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

Then maybe the Europeans should have chosen a Native American language to speak. It is common courtesy.

Man, get over that already.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Interesting that you say that since its progressives who are for revising history.

One of the things Hitler did to gain full control was take away guns. How do you reconcile that with your progressive sensibilities? On top of that we are seeing the Great Social Experiment in Europe crumble, and yet you progressives wanna adopt the same policies. You call some of us "regressives", but tbh I'd rather be that than completely duped because "feelings".

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil war in exchange for citizenship?

You are misinformed---badly. Immigrants of the 1920s and forward until recently were avid to learn English so they could acclimate into American culture. My father was a laborer in the automobile plants in Detroit during those times. He taught Italians, Germans and Chinese to speak English in return for meals. He had only an eighth-grade education but in 1918 that was commiserate with today's high school education---and better in some really basic ways because he learned Latin in a tiny one-room school. His Latin allowed him to understand the Romance languages but as he put it, "The Chinese didn't know Latin so that was a hard go."

I speak Southern American. I studied Mandarin for a year and was able to barely converse but my calligraphy skills were impressive to my professors. I picked up Jamaican creole in about a week and when in Mexico I could get by with Spanish I picked up from friends. I never stayed long enough there to become immersed. I understand more than I speak. I picked up a bit of Japanese one summer from one of my students but most of it has left me. I spent several summers studying Cherokee and Choctaw, my great-grandmothers' languages but I would have to be immersed in the culture to be able to speak with any fluency.
My linguist husband has studied Spanish, German, Russian, French, Middle English and Mandarin but is only fluent in Russian and French because those are the only ones he speaks regularly. Oh, he can recite the prologue to the Canterbury Tales in the original.

I have no idea where you got the notion that languages didn't matter among early-20th century immigrants but I can assure you that you have been misinformed.
Nobody is speaking against being bilingual but if you are going to live in a country, it is basic good sense and courtesy to be able to speak the language of that country.

Good post.

Prior to the 1940s Irish, Italians, Germans and Eastern Europeans were not considered white(the norm for white in the US was White Anglo Saxon). They were encouraged to speak English and as well as change their last names to English sounding ones, which is called anglicization. This helped them to achieve employment and endure less discrimination.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil in exchange for citizenship?

Are you kidding ? You have to be , right ? Check when the immigration laws were put into place , please.

This isn't about immigration law. My post was about the spirit of America and what made it prosperous.

Let me elaborate just a bit. In the days you speak of , immigrants were leaving their countries to the US to try and find a better life for their families. They were proud to be American and eager to learn English to fit in. Yes , they did make most of this country what it is (or was). And the US was proud to have them. They were not Irish-Americans , Japanese American , Middle Eastern Americans , African-Americans (well you get the point) . They were just American. Now , we have forgotten the original ideas and each split off into their own groups . Instead of trying to fit into the American culture (they can do this and still retain their own:it has been done throughout the history of this country) , they try to make America into a replica of their country. They dont want to fit in. They want to promote the lifestyles , morality , religion (or lack thereof) on everyone else. This is not the way it used to be nor the way it was made to be.Thats why the immigration problem and the status of America is worsening.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Good post.

Prior to the 1940s Irish, Italians, Germans and Eastern Europeans were not considered white(the norm for white in the US was White Anglo Saxon). They were encouraged to speak English and as well as change their last names to English sounding ones, which is called anglicization. This helped them to achieve employment and endure less discrimination.

My "White" ancestors who came here from Lithuania altered their name to a more English sounding one to be more American, because they wanted to change themself into an American, not change America into the country they were leaving behind.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Just to point out you really don't speak English...Not the Queens English anyhow!!.

I think you should all be attempting to teach the kids Chinese tbh.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

When I lived in the Netherlands I met so many people with a better grasp of my language then any of us Brits.
They used to cross the street asking to practice their English and I just "don't bother it's better then mine".
They love us though more than any other nation I think.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I'm sorry, did she say speak American? So...up here in the great white north, are Canadians speaking "American" or are we speaking Canadian? Ok I'm done with my sarcasm. She's right but damn, America isn't the end all be all. Jesus Christ woman.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Alright so, we know that America was already populated before European settlers arrived in 15th century AD. We know that Native Americans arrived in Alaska more than 12 000 years ago. Is this what para sailing is referring to when she says "speak american"??
I did not know she knew a native american language. I shall assume that every single person born and raised in America is also fluent in a native language? I mean, that is the very definition of "speaking American", is it not?
edit on 8915 by symphonyofblase because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Then why is our country ready to implode?

Our country has been ready to implode for well over a decade. People are only just now waking up to that fact.

I don't see Conservatives bashing our police.

Of course not the predominately white conservatives have a better than average chance of walking away alive from a confrontation with the police.

I don't see Conservatives calling our military "Scumbags"!

No they do something even worst they use them as cannonfodder.

Not sure how old you are, but I remember the same bunch who called our troops "Baby Killers" coming back from Viet Nam who now support abortion!

I am old enough to remember the reports by Walter Cronkite on the war and blowing away a whole village of women and children is far different than allowing a woman to have control of her body.
edit on 5730000002930America/ChicagoTue, 08 Sep 2015 07:46:29 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join