It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Well that's great fella, honestly.

Can I ask, did you find it possible to learn because your worked hard or had the capability to begin with...

Or both.

I'd guess it's both because when it comes to other languages, aside from the odd phrase or word, I suck.
And it's not for the want of trying.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: infolurker

LMAO.....good luck with that. Assimilation was abandonned a long, long time ago in favor of "Multiculturalism". Now, for example, in many Texas school districts, they take the kids from English speaking homes and put them in Spanish only first, second and third grade classes. The kids from Spanish speaking homes are put in English only first, second and third grade classes. Then in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, they graduate down to their "home" language with the goal that by 7th and 8th they'll all be bilingual.

"In Texas", huh? You mean the formerly Mexican territory that's named for a Native American word, has many Spanish names for cities, and had Spanish speaking citizens before the English speaking citizens moved there?

Why didn't the English speakers adopt the languages of the locals? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me

Kind of hypocritical coming from an American , speaking english, who lives in a land that was inhabited by MY ancestors

So maybe drop the BS shtick, your subject to the same thing if you want to use that metric........

Hey, my Muscogee ancestors were here first (along w/the other Native peoples), thank you.

And there's nothing hypocritical about what I posted. They posted about people in Texas learning English & Spanish (gasp!), even though Texas was "Spanish speaking" before it was "English speaking". Then I pointed out that the English speaking settlers in the 1800s didn't assimilate with the Spanish speaking population. What's "hypocritical" or "BS shtick" about that?

Unless you're going to argue that Texas, San Antonio, El Paso, and the Rio Grande are named after places in London lol

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

Getting jealous now.

The best I've been able to do is learn the first chapter of the Quran in Arabic...

And that took lyrical gymnastics to drill it into my head.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'd be happy to learn American if/when I migrate to the States.

Let me know when you've invented a language so I can get started.

I don't think its crazy to say they speak "American." English is a god awful hodge podge of words and American is even worse than it's root. Language is ever evolving. English has origins in Germanic languages, but yet hundreds of years later you don't think of it that way.

V

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Do you speak Native American?

Yes I can I learned it from my father and grandmother. I'm from Cherokee decent btw.

I don't either and BTW, I haven't for the life of me seen any college offering it as a language course.

Look harder the University of Oklahoma teaches several Native languages in fact many universities do.

Do you learn from your mistakes and grow as a human being or do you punish yourself for feeling guilty for them?

You learn from mistakes by not forgetting them that way you don't repeat them.

Progressives want to progress but do every damn thing possible to bring us all right back to our primal instincts!

No they don't want you to forget the past so you won't repeat it.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I know a convert from Yorkshire who memorized the Quran. He still recites the Quran with a Yorkshire accent. His pronunciation isn't like how an Arab would speak but it's way better than mine. He's got a beautiful voice too. I've only managed to learn up to chapter 100(from 114) and a bit of chapter 51 and 23. Those are the chapters I use when I pray. The memorization is not something I try. It just happens. Kinda hard to explain.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

You forgot Comanche

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I'd love to see Sarah Palin attempt to learn a new language...

Urdu or Mandarin if I had a choice.

It's nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with capability.

Reldra aside...
Hands up who is bilingual in this thread...

I'll wait....

You lazy bastards.

Hola. Me hablo Espanol muy muy poquito. lol (I'm pretty sure I should use "poco" instead of "poquito" but people always laugh then play along when I say "poquito".)

I took 2 yrs of Spanish in high school, went overseas & still barely speak it. Luckily the people are always nice so they speak slowly & with simple words for me. I can read it fairly well but don't know what I'm reading. I was almost that way w/Quranic Arabic but I've been slacking in my studies. Now I suck again

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: seeker1963

Do you speak Native American?

Yes I can I learned it from my father and grandmother. I'm from Cherokee decent btw.

I don't either and BTW, I haven't for the life of me seen any college offering it as a language course.

Look harder the University of Oklahoma teaches several Native languages in fact many universities do.

Do you learn from your mistakes and grow as a human being or do you punish yourself for feeling guilty for them?

You learn from mistakes by not forgetting them that way you don't repeat them.

Progressives want to progress but do every damn thing possible to bring us all right back to our primal instincts!

No they don't want you to forget the past so you won't repeat it.

Then why do Progressives FORBID anyone other than themselves bringing up Nazi Germany? Seen it happen many times on ATS! Yet when it benefits them they feel it's aok?

Nothing wrong with forgetting the past, but why use it as a political tool TODAY when not a GD one of us alive had anything to do with it?

Progressive in todays political world is nothing more than a way to go backwards in time! Progressives are doing nothing more than repeating history with their divisive and hateful rhetoric by acting like they want equality when in reality all they are doing is creating more division and hatred. Is racial tension improving or is it at a point of imploding? So much for Progress aye?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
Yeah, well, with over 200 languages I could be typing until my fingers cramped. That's why I said "myriad of other languages".

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

You know....if you say it in English only Louder and Slower.....they'll often get it. Its come to be recognized as one of the American Tourists endearing traits.

You made me laugh, Thank You.
I lived in W. Europe for many years and it would be a standing joke. We would point in one or another direction just to satisfy their demand and smile the whole time of course. They are so demanding you just want to have a little fun. Of course we could have answered in English since every one speaks and understands it but hay....

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: introvert
Hell, many of the people I know that speak english have a hard time speaking english. Ever had a conversation with a southern redneck? I can't understand em.

Why can't we let America be the melting pot is was meant to be and live among one another peacefully? We seem to be doing just fine now.

I feel the same way with someone speaking Ebonics! Touché?

I completely agree.

Now can we agree that we need to accept other people's languages and find something better to work on?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Sarah, please give up politics and get into the adult business.

I'd be a huge fan.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You know , speaking English is a requirement for LEGAL immigrants , right ? So lets just bend over backwards and put everything in 2 different languages kowtowing to the ones here unlawfully....This country is in the toilet about to be flushed into the septic tank with the rest of the ......

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil war in exchange for citizenship?

Did they care when the Italians immigrated to this country? They didn't care when my grandfather came over from Nazi Germany.

This country was built on the backs of the illegal immigrants. That is what made America.

Ultra-nationalist propaganda and rhetoric is what will damn this nation to it's end. Don't believe me? Ask Nazi Germany how it worked out.

edit on 7-9-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It is as far as I am concerned common curtesy to apply the greatest effort to adapt to the country/region of which is your benefactor.
My parents learned and taught me adequate English as immigrants and we never spoke any thing else in public. It would have been considered rude.
When we moved "back" to my Mothers country I quickly adopted that language with out any previous knowledge. Mom had never taught me. My Father had a different language.
I have traveled extensively and all ways tried my best to adapt.

It is a question of respect. Yes, apply the language of the country you live in as far as you are possible. My Father was "phonetically impaired" so to speak, but he tried. He all ways apologized for his poor skills.

On the other hand I have encountered people in the US who are third generation, whom are impaired by their accent, I find this a ridiculous manner of asserting one self. And they are proud of it.
edit on 7-9-2015 by WalkInSilence because: Word

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

how about Sarah learns to speak understandable English?! She pretty much needs subtitles, and I am American-English only!

link   

originally posted by: WalkInSilence
It is as far as I am concerned common curtesy to apply the greatest effort to adapt to the country/region of which is your benefactor.
My parents learned and taught me adequate English as immigrants and we never spoke any thing else in public. It would have been considered rude.
When we moved "back" to my Mothers country I quickly adopted that language with out any previous knowledge. Mom had never taught me. My Father had a different language.
I have traveled extensively and all ways tried my best to adapt.

It is a question of respect. Yes, apply the language of the country you live in as far as you are possible. My Father was "phonetically impaired" so to speak, but he tried. He all ways apologized for his poor skills.

On the other hand I have encountered people in the US who are third generation, whom are impaired by their accent, I find this a ridiculous manner of asserting one self. And they are proud of it.

A matter of respect ? I respect your Opinion but i disagree , essentially you are saying that when someone is in America they must speak English in Public "as a mater of respect " ? Why ? Who set the standard for that ? sounds like the idea of an American who wants to be nosy and wants to understand others conversations .

Addressing all the other members here who feel Immigrants MUST speak English in America! From my personal Opinion I find it fascinating ,Other languages , When i hear someone speaking another language in Public I am not in any way Offended but rather ,curious about the language . I find it both Challenging and humbling trying to understand someone who does not speak English.

I think their is more of a deep rooted cause to people who are offended by immigrants speaking other languages. Some sort of ill will .

just my thoughts

link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Gothmog

Did they care what language they spoke when the Irish got off of one boat and on to another to fight in the civil in exchange for citizenship?

Did they care when the Italians immigrated to this country? They didn't care when my grandfather came over from Nazi Germany.

This country was built on the backs of the illegal immigrants. That is what made America.

Ultra-nationalist propaganda and rhetoric is what will damn this nation to it's end. Don't believe me? Ask Nazi Germany how it worked out.

Are you kidding ? You have to be , right ? Check when the immigration laws were put into place , please.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
William Shatner starred in a movie that was in Esperanto. It's called Incubus.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join