It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'd love to see Sarah Palin attempt to learn a new language...

Urdu or Mandarin if I had a choice.

It's nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with capability.

Reldra aside...
Hands up who is bilingual in this thread...

I'll wait....

You lazy bastards.
edit on 7-9-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It comes down to Choice ! Its the Choice of that person to learn the native language , and they should not be mocked or ridiculed if they chose not to learn it .

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
IMO we do a pretty poor job teaching foreign languages in American public schools. My friends from Europe all grow up learning several other languages besides their native one. Other languages aren't a requirement in grade school, and even High Schools don't mandate bilingualism like the rest of the industrial democracies around the world. We Americans are pretty arrogant about our language being superior to others.

That I agree with! Many years ago in the US, at least in my school it was Spanish and French! Two choices! I took Spanish and was such a rebellious twit I didn't understand the importance of how it would benefit me in the future and flunked out.

Many Americans are arrogant towards those who can't speak English well, and it isn't just Americans but others who speak English as well! I have seen it here and I have seen it on other sites. People actually apologize because their English isn't well? Hell no! I am embarrassed because I can only speak a few phrases in Spanish yet some one is fluent enough in English for me to understand them and they apologize? No!

But that isn't what this is about. It is about moving to another country and not being diligent enough to assimilate but bitch about it because you expect everyone to bend to down to you.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

I do neither because I don't drive.

Givya twenny bucks not to axe me a harder question.
Gracias.

edit on 7-9-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
a reply to: MystikMushroom
You can't seriously believe English is spoken around the world simply because Americans 'expect' it.

People learn English as a second language voluntarily. They do it because they think it will benefit them to speak English. Might be something immigrants should think about...

People learn Spanish in this country, because it is an asset to their resume as the Spanish speaking population grows. Many Customer Service jobs require a 2nd language now, especially if you ever want to get promoted.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I say we all just use grunts and hand gestures. Anyone else with me? It worked for mankind for tens of thousands of years!

As long as I can throw some poo in between grunts.

Emphasis is important.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I got you angel, self deprecating, I thought it was funny to be honest.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
English is actually a pretty hard language to learn. English is a fruit salad of words from other languages, and we have some funky rules. Some our words also are confusing for people because they can mean two things in certain contexts.
edit on 7-9-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

But that isn't what this is about. It is about moving to another country and not being diligent enough to assimilate but bitch about it because you expect everyone to bend to down to you.

I have never seen people expecting to be 'bent down to'. Many businesses and government offices and forms changed to offering Spanish as it made things move along faster. Better for business. Faster for long government bureaucracy. It just helped. It matched people who were still learning the language to the proper line or representative.
edit on 7-9-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta
What exactly is American?
Here's a story:

A woman was in line at the supermarket in New Mexico. She was talking on her cell phone in her native language. After she ended the call, the woman in front of her said, "I don't know where you come from but here in America we speak English. If you don't like it, go back to where you come from." The woman smiled and said, "Well, I was speaking Navajo and this is where I come from."

So, she wants American? Would she prefer Cherokee, Creek, Navajo, Ojibwe, Hopi, or the myriad of other languages that were originally spoken here and are still being spoken to this day?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Applaud !

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Love it! I will file that away for future stories.......and quips.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

English is actually a pretty hard language to learn. English is a fruit salad of words from other languages, and we have some funky rules. Some our words also are confusing for people because they can mean two things in certain contexts.

That's the way I felt about Spanish! You had feminine and masculine. Confused the hell out of me! BTW! I do know how to ask in German "where is the train station?"! For some reason or another during my time in the military I found that was a necessary thing to learn if I got shipped over to Germany? I did learn a few phrases from Korea as well but I won't piss off the Mods.......

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Not to mention so many words sound the same but aren't. If you really look at it, it's a crazy language to learn for some people. It doesn't help that some people don't have the patience to teach them or teach them wrong.

For example: I worked in a factory with Vietnamese people (recent citizens). A skunk sprayed outside and the smell was all over the place. The set up guys told him that it was..well the word is against t&c but it rhymes with hunt and is used to describe a woman's private part. Okay, well, he's walking around waving his hand in front of his face saying, "Yuck! That's a smelly *". The poor guy almost got fired. He didn't know what he was saying and it was those stupid fools that got him in trouble. Luckily, somebody in management was smart enough to figure that out.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hell, many of the people I know that speak english have a hard time speaking english. Ever had a conversation with a southern redneck? I can't understand em.

Why can't we let America be the melting pot is was meant to be and live among one another peacefully? We seem to be doing just fine now.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
We ought to just all adopt a worldwide universal language like Esperanto:

Esperanto is a constructed international auxiliary language. It is the most widely spoken constructed language in the world.[5] Its name derives from Doktoro Esperanto ("Esperanto" translates as "one who hopes"), the pseudonym under which physician and linguist L. L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the Unua Libro, on 26 July 1887. Zamenhof's goal was to create an easy-to-learn, politically neutral language that would transcend nationality and foster peace and international understanding between people with different languages.

Wikipedia

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I say we all just use grunts and hand gestures. Anyone else with me? It worked for mankind for tens of thousands of years!

I do that on hunting trips with my buds, works for me!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Hell, many of the people I know that speak english have a hard time speaking english. Ever had a conversation with a southern redneck? I can't understand em.

Why can't we let America be the melting pot is was meant to be and live among one another peacefully? We seem to be doing just fine now.

I feel the same way with someone speaking Ebonics! Touché?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

(shows hand)

More people nowdays are , in the early part of the century I think MOST were, then we went through a lull, at least here in the US where most werent....

I think were coming out of that now

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Urdu isn't so bad. I picked up some words from a Pakistani mate. Four years on though and I still struggle with Arabic. I can't even pronounce the alphabet right. Currently, it's just English(I'm English), German, Danish, Norwegian and currently in the process of learning Italian. Mandarin and Japanese is on the list next.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join