It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: infolurker

LMAO.....good luck with that. Assimilation was abandonned a long, long time ago in favor of "Multiculturalism". Now, for example, in many Texas school districts, they take the kids from English speaking homes and put them in Spanish only first, second and third grade classes. The kids from Spanish speaking homes are put in English only first, second and third grade classes. Then in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, they graduate down to their "home" language with the goal that by 7th and 8th they'll all be bilingual.

"In Texas", huh? You mean the formerly Mexican territory that's named for a Native American word, has many Spanish names for cities, and had Spanish speaking citizens before the English speaking citizens moved there?

Why didn't the English speakers adopt the languages of the locals? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

The expectations by Americans motivate everyone around the world to learn English. I know more bilingual people that aren't American than who are. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of Americans that speak both English and Spanish -- but if you go to Europe, most people speak 3-4 languages (English being among them).

You'll be fine in Germany...I lived in the Frankfurt airport for a few days. If you go through there early in the morning you might luck out and score some fresh bread out of the oven. Germans seem to take their bread pretty seriously, as they have several bakeries making bread from scratch at 4:30 am. Also, the bathroom stalls are amazing, fully enclosed!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I'd be happy to learn American if/when I migrate to the States.

Let me know when you've invented a language so I can get started.

I don't know Charlie, if you could hear some of us speak, you probably wouldn't want to claim it as English.

That could be considered "RACIST"! Would you mind elaborating a bit more?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
So....

Speaking to one's constituents in the language they understand best automatically means that these constituents aren't learning the english language ?

Or does it simply mean that their ability to understand english is still somewhat broken and therefore may not be able to fully understand everything that's being said. Learning a new language takes years to become completely fluent in it.

But hey !

To hell with logical rationale.... let's just all jump on the bandwagon and make unfounded assumptions and speculations.... just so that we can invent a mountain out of a molehill and run to our soapboxes and vocalize our drama queen faux indignations !

Because, you know, there's not enough 1st world problems to bitch and whine and moan about on a daily basis around here.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Well if/when I migrate I'm sure I'll be heading for them thar hills with the normal folk.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
IMO we do a pretty poor job teaching foreign languages in American public schools. My friends from Europe all grow up learning several other languages besides their native one. Other languages aren't a requirement in grade school, and even High Schools don't mandate bilingualism like the rest of the industrial democracies around the world. We Americans are pretty arrogant about our language being superior to others.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
That's what I'm not getting with Palin on this. She isn't saying "everyone should learn English", I've been working with my wife for years to teach her. We both want it to happen. But Palin (and others in this thread) seem to be implying that no other language should even be spoken in this country. Her whole beef was about Jeb answering a question in Spanish.

Imagine a day where people speaking in other tongues is a bad thing. My kids are bilingual, and not in the twit talk and lol's, I'm actually proud of that and we are all starting our 3rd this year (going to try for Mandarin)

It seems many in America hear another language and have a panic attack for some dumb reason. And quit pretending that pressing a f'n number is the worst part of your day you drama queens.

ETA: If this ridiculous sentiment was alive and well thousands of years ago, the Rosetta stone would never have happened. But instead of chastising people for speaking different they figured out an ingenious way to help work through it. And it literally opened our eyes to the wonders of the ancient world.

a reply to: reldra

edit on 7-9-2015 by DuckforcoveR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

That could be considered "RACIST"! Would you mind elaborating a bit more?

Yes. I would.

edit on 9/7/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

Then maybe the Europeans should have chosen a Native American language to speak. It is common courtesy.

Do you speak Native American?

I don't either and BTW, I haven't for the life of me seen any college offering it as a language course.

Progressives want to progress but do every damn thing possible to bring us all right back to our primal instincts!

I found some universities that do, I am sure there are more. Universities offering Native American Langueges

No, progressives want to progress forward. It is something in the name...progress.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
No, I think Americans just want their fellow citizens to be able to speak English. That way they can respond to paramedics, understand weather alerts, interview for jobs, etc. It benefits the immigrant and society as a whole.

How can anyone deny it is prudent to learn effective communication skills? To tell an immigrant he doesn't need to learn to learn the predominant language of his new country is simply bad advice.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's quite clear that she meant English. People misspeak quite often. Another non-issue that says nothing about her arguments.

Yes, let's all stop having a sense of humour.(see how I spelled humour there)

Making fun of how people speak? Classic good humour right there.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

The expectations by Americans motivate everyone around the world to learn English. I know more bilingual people that aren't American than who are. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of Americans that speak both English and Spanish -- but if you go to Europe, most people speak 3-4 languages (English being among them).

You'll be fine in Germany...I lived in the Frankfurt airport for a few days. If you go through there early in the morning you might luck out and score some fresh bread out of the oven. Germans seem to take their bread pretty seriously, as they have several bakeries making bread from scratch at 4:30 am. Also, the bathroom stalls are amazing, fully enclosed!

That is why I posted the vid of Gene Simmons! The US became the dominant market and bastion of freedom in the worlds eye due to money. Now English isn't just American by the way because I can perfectly under stand Brits, Irish, etc etc but the dialect and how fast they talk can be a real pain in the ass for me, but other than some terms like pish, gobble, and other words over there, have totally different meanings than they do here.

That is why in my first post I said what I said and it meant I would never go to another country to live and expect them to bow down to me because I was as Gene put it, "To damn lazy to learn the language of the country I am living in."?

How is it wrong for people to move to another country and learn the predominate language?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It's quite clear that she meant English. People misspeak quite often. Another non-issue that says nothing about her arguments.

Yes, let's all stop having a sense of humour.(see how I spelled humour there)

Making fun of how people speak? Classic good humour right there.

Too low brow for you?

My my that's admirable.

I'm sure you've never once laughed at something similar ever.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
IMO we do a pretty poor job teaching foreign languages in American public schools. My friends from Europe all grow up learning several other languages besides their native one. Other languages aren't a requirement in grade school, and even High Schools don't mandate bilingualism like the rest of the industrial democracies around the world. We Americans are pretty arrogant about our language being superior to others.

That is true. Depending on the state. I was in N Cali in 5th-9th grade. Spanish started in the 5th grade there. A foreign language was mandatory. I took a little mandarin Chinese from a woman my mother knew then. I continued Spanish through high school and college. In NY, a foreign language is required in high school for a Regents diploma. I took 2 semesters of Russian in college as well.
My Spanish is still pretty good. I brush up on basic Russian with a phone app. It runs while I clean the house and repeat words and phrases.

Guess I should be speakin' American though! lol.
edit on 7-9-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: infolurker

LMAO.....good luck with that. Assimilation was abandonned a long, long time ago in favor of "Multiculturalism". Now, for example, in many Texas school districts, they take the kids from English speaking homes and put them in Spanish only first, second and third grade classes. The kids from Spanish speaking homes are put in English only first, second and third grade classes. Then in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, they graduate down to their "home" language with the goal that by 7th and 8th they'll all be bilingual.

"In Texas", huh? You mean the formerly Mexican territory that's named for a Native American word, has many Spanish names for cities, and had Spanish speaking citizens before the English speaking citizens moved there?

Why didn't the English speakers adopt the languages of the locals? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me

Kind of hypocritical coming from an American , speaking english, who lives in a land that was inhabited by MY ancestors

So maybe drop the BS shtick, your subject to the same thing if you want to use that metric........

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There was a time when you came to this country you were REQUIRED to learn the language........

In most other countries when you immigrate there, you are REQUIRED to speak their language, at least at a level you can communicate

Tell me WHY this is an issue here?

Except for bleeding hearts and people with no common sense?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
You can't seriously believe English is spoken around the world simply because Americans 'expect' it.

People learn English as a second language voluntarily. They do it because they think it will benefit them to speak English. Might be something immigrants should think about...
edit on 7-9-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Do you look under the hood of a truck to check the oil, or do you look under a bonnet of a lorry to check the oil?

An Englishman and an American can understand each other perfectly well for the most part. Let two Americans speak to each other in front of an Englishman, or two Englishman talk in front of an American, and the "odd man out" will be lucky to understand 40% of the conversation.

"American" is bastardized English. Just as our country's population is a hodgepodge of immigrants so to is our language a hodgepodge of foreign words.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Damn! Can't even poke a little fun at myself? My little quip was for you, and apparently you are the only one who took it the way it was intended. Too many pickly pears around here. And I mean that in the most serious way possible.

I was actually referring to myself, who is southern, and we speak our own little version of English.

The rest of you can go fly a kite.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I say we all just use grunts and hand gestures. Anyone else with me? It worked for mankind for tens of thousands of years!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join