It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

Then maybe the Europeans should have chosen a Native American language to speak. It is common courtesy.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Kapusta

Sorry, It Is Common Sense. Even "Rational" Progressives can see that.

Compassionate Progressivism Can Stop the Balkanization of America
www.huffingtonpost.com...

A hundred years ago, President Teddy Roosevelt said, "The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Following that wisdom, the USA immigrated 175,000 people annually from compatible countries from 1924 through 1964. They assimilated by speaking English and became a part of our fabric of life. They met the criteria for religion, culture and similarities with America.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Can you find me that written in the constitution that the one language to be spoken is English ?

What?

How about this .... What Language is the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Every LAW written in genius?

LOL,

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

constitutioncenter.org...

American isn't on the list.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's pretty ironic...

Most people from around the world speak multiple languages. When Americans travel outside of the USA they just assume everyone will speak English. In fact, some people decide where to vacation based on whether or not the people they encounter will speak English.

It seems Americans want the whole world to speak English.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Were our founding fathers fluent in Native American tongues?

Let me think long and hard on that one....

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

He didn't ask about "American" slang, he asked about English.

Can you find me that written in the constitution that the one language to be spoken is English ?
edit on 7-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

A hundred years ago, President Teddy Roosevelt said, "The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Following that wisdom, the USA immigrated 175,000 people annually from compatible countries from 1924 through 1964. They assimilated by speaking English and became a part of our fabric of life. They met the criteria for religion, culture and similarities with America.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

What?

How about this .... What Language is the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Every LAW written in genius?

LOL,

it's also written in Spanish and a whole bunch of other languages so that immigrants can read it , Genius ! Now show me the law that sates you HAVE to speak ENGLISH in America ,

EXACTLY

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

What?

LOL,

But the Constitution does not say that English is the official language of the land. In some parts of America Spanish is spoken rather than English so if you moved there should you be required to learn Spanish?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

English.

See that thing that just flew over your head...

That was the thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

There is not a law that states English as an official language.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It's quite clear that she meant English. People misspeak quite often. Another non-issue that says nothing about her arguments.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's quite clear that she meant English. People misspeak quite often. Another non-issue that says nothing about her arguments.

Yes, let's all stop having a sense of humour.(see how I spelled humour there)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

Then maybe the Europeans should have chosen a Native American language to speak. It is common courtesy.

Do you speak Native American?

I don't either and BTW, I haven't for the life of me seen any college offering it as a language course.

Or is this just another Progressive ploy to use our countries past mistakes to continue the BS division? We should LEARN from our past mistakes NOT continue to bring them up due to a political piss poor excuse to prevent people from getting along. Do you learn from your mistakes and grow as a human being or do you punish yourself for feeling guilty for them?

I didn't conquer America and neither did you! Fess the hell up and get over it!

Progressives want to progress but do every damn thing possible to bring us all right back to our primal instincts!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

It replied to the wrong person.
edit on 7-9-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

And, how does this inconvenience you?

link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It's pretty ironic...

Most people from around the world speak multiple languages. When Americans travel outside of the USA they just assume everyone will speak English. In fact, some people decide where to vacation based on whether or not the people they encounter will speak English.

It seems Americans want the whole world to speak English.

Really? Didn't you correct me in my assumption earlier?

Maybe I am exceptional American?

link   

There is not a law that states English as an official language.

Exactly !

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

If you have read the article and the one I saw earlier on CNN, you would know that most immigrants struggle to learn English. Past a young age, it is difficult to learn a new language fluently. The children of immigrants are often bilingual and speak fluent English.

Odd, speaking more than one language should be a sign of intelligence rather than a bad thing. Many early immigrants spoke German and Benjamin Franklin wondered if German was going to take over as the dominant language.

You should be able to speak any language you like with friends and family and while struggling to learn, it helps to have Spanish or French speaking operators on the phone to do business with. When I worked at Harlequin Romance Customer Service, we had a FT French rep, a FT Spanish rep and I took overflow Spanish calls and written correspondence or emails. It helps on forms while you are learning or struggling.

Picture yourself moving to a foreign country today, for work. In a scenario where you had to. It might take you awhile to get the basics of the language and you may never become fluent. You would feel bad if people said "you should speak X language here."

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I'd be happy to learn American if/when I migrate to the States.

Let me know when you've invented a language so I can get started.

I don't know Charlie, if you could hear some of us speak, you probably wouldn't want to claim it as English.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
MURICA!

I bet Caribou Barbie couldn't even pass the Naturalization Test.
Hopefully her version won't have any Paul Revere or what does a Vice President do? questions among many other things.

LOL. You are right. Those would be GOTCHA questions. I keep saying Trump is the female Palin. When he was asked who were the leaders of the major terrorist groups, he didn't know and said it was a 'gotcha question'.
edit on 7-9-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join