It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘You want to be in America, speak American,’ Sarah Palin tells immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here we go with another one from Sarah Palin...

“On the other hand, I think we can send a message and say, ‘You want to be in America, A, you’d better be here legally or you’re out of here, [and] B, when you’re here, let’s speak American… Let’s speak English, and that’s a kind of a unifying aspect of the nation is the language that is understood by all.”

Never Mind the fact that ALASKA is home to 20+ differing languages you dumb truck !

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

I am on my way to Germany tomorrow and can't speak a lick of German! I am going to demand they accommodate me by providing me with papers in English and force them to hire people to understand me instead of me learning German!

Sounds AWESOME!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Sorry, It Is Common Sense. Even "Rational" Progressives can see that.

Compassionate Progressivism Can Stop the Balkanization of America
www.huffingtonpost.com...

A hundred years ago, President Teddy Roosevelt said, "The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Following that wisdom, the USA immigrated 175,000 people annually from compatible countries from 1924 through 1964. They assimilated by speaking English and became a part of our fabric of life. They met the criteria for religion, culture and similarities with America.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
edit on 7-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
MURICA!

I bet Caribou Barbie couldn't even pass the Naturalization Test.
Hopefully her version won't have any Paul Revere or what does a Vice President do? questions among many other things.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I am on my way to Germany tomorrow and can't speak a lick of German! I am going to demand they accommodate me by providing me with papers in English and force them to hire people to understand me instead of me learning German!

Sounds AWESOME!

You know....if you say it in English only Louder and Slower.....they'll often get it. Its come to be recognized as one of the American Tourists endearing traits.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Most, if not all Germans speak English. You wont have any problems. Just don't try making any jokes, they probably will just stare at you...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Sounds AWESOME!

Majority of Germans speak English

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
It would be nice and more convenient if everyone that lived in America spoke English. Do you disagree with that? I know that if I moved to Germany I would want to learn German. It is common courtesy.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Most, if not all Germans speak English. You wont have any problems. Just don't try making any jokes, they probably will just stare at you...

I look more like a crazy Viking, maybe I ought to change my itinerary? : )

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
What's wrong with foreigners who want to make a life in the USA (or Canada for that matter) to speak the local language? My family moved to the USA from Europe. We all learned English and have assimilated. There's always a choice to leave if you aren't happy here.

I'm with Sarah on this one.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Sorry, It Is Common Sense. Even "Rational" Progressives can see that.

Compassionate Progressivism Can Stop the Balkanization of America
www.huffingtonpost.com...

A hundred years ago, President Teddy Roosevelt said, "The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing as a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities."

Following that wisdom, the USA immigrated 175,000 people annually from compatible countries from 1924 through 1964. They assimilated by speaking English and became a part of our fabric of life. They met the criteria for religion, culture and similarities with America.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here.

Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Can you find me that written in the constitution that the one language to be spoken is English ?

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I know some Americans that can't strap 10 english words together in a coherent sentence so as to effectively communicate what's on their mind. May as well be clicking sounds with hand gestures.

If you are going to shift countries, even blind Freddy can work out that adopting that countries language would be in your benefit.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

You won't have to demand it, they just do it automatically.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If your mad that people who can't even speak English oops let me refudiate that American
is taking your jobs, than it's time to invest in higher education.
I suggest getting your GED or taking some community college courses.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I'd be happy to learn American if/when I migrate to the States.

Let me know when you've invented a language so I can get started.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Sounds AWESOME!

You & Mystik are fast! I was about to post that then I refreshed the page to see your 2 comments.

The funny thing w/the people agreeing w/Palin is that America is full of non-English words & phrases. In fact, hundreds of American States, cities, counties, and natural features have Native American and/or Spanish names lol. It's like these people don't even know America's own multicultural past.

Plus, American English is a bastardized language anyway. We assimilate words, phrases, and names from foreign languages all the time, particularly Spanish.

link   
a reply to: infolurker

LMAO.....good luck with that. Assimilation was abandonned a long, long time ago in favor of "Multiculturalism". Now, for example, in many Texas school districts, they take the kids from English speaking homes and put them in Spanish only first, second and third grade classes. The kids from Spanish speaking homes are put in English only first, second and third grade classes. Then in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, they graduate down to their "home" language with the goal that by 7th and 8th they'll all be bilingual.

link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
What's wrong with foreigners who want to make a life in the USA (or Canada for that matter) to speak the local language? My family moved to the USA from Europe. We all learned English and have assimilated. There's always a choice to leave if you aren't happy here.

I'm with Sarah on this one.

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn English and most immigrants here pressure that . But the way Palin is talking its like she wants to force that upon all Immigrants. I am sure if she had it her way she would .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join