It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Warminster ‘Thing’ : UFOs and Supernatural Disturbances in ‘Small Town England’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

......was the mixture of Holton and Shuttleworth together somehow a catalyst for the phenomenon?

It could well have been. Shuttleworth appeared to be highly sceptical at first. Or was he just saying that because he was supposed to be an objective journalist? I would say that Shuttleworth was feeding off Horton.

Also as you have brought up the subject of sounds creating various physical effects on humans it reminded of this (now very old) song from Kate Bush. - Experiment IV.

There are some interesting things going on in the video and some familiar faces appear as well.

Apparently :

"'Experiment IV' originated in a story that Kate heard about a scientist in France who built a giant steam powered whistle to assess the effects of the sound. The effect was simple -- it killed him and a number of people in the surrounding area. That area had to be cordoned off and the public kept out until the device powering the whistle ran out of fuel.

The next happening was a nightmare, where scientists engaged in benign research into the effects of sound had their work perverted by the military, who wanted a sound that would kill.

This concept is, however, no fantasy. The 'sound cannon' has been chased by defence establishments across the world. A European version of the idea was indeed known as the 'Jericho Trumpet', after the Old Testament prophet's exploits with the walls of the celebrated city. There is current research both in the US and in the USSR on sonic waves and disturbance patterns to destroy property and kill people.

Peter Fitzgerald-Morris (editor Homeground :The Kate Bush Magazine)

Perhaps the British were trying something similar around Warminster in 1964/65?

I wonder if Kate Bush knew about Warminster and the 'Thing'?

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
>a reply to: mirageman

Greetings Mirageman,

S and F for you - thank you for one of the better posts I have read recently on ATS - great subject, writing, links, pics - got more?

GI

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenIrish

......great subject, writing, links, pics - got more?

Thank you my friend. Do you mean more on Warminster or ATS in general?

I have authored a few other threads all you need to do is click on my name above my avatar (or click here]

As for Warminster I am still intrigued by the noise that was heard. So before this thread wraps up will probably post a bit more information on that.

edit on 14/9/15 by mirageman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I can't dismiss the high strangeness of this case. But most of that seems to have started well into 1965 and I still think the core of the story lies with the strange noise.

Sonic warfare dates back to a Bible story about the 'Walls of Jericho' tumbling down. We all know of the ability of certain singers to hit that 'note' to shatter a wineglass. So it is not surprising that the military powers around the world have looked into and weaponized the power of 'sound'.

Tesla is long rumoured to have been involved in the science of sound and vibraton with his vibrating infrasound chair during the 1940s invoking pleasure and pain to his volunteers.

It seems in WWII the Nazis were looking into an 'acoustic cannon' by igniting a mix of methane and oxygen in a resonant chamber to create a deafening, finely focused beam of sound, magnified by huge parabolic dishes. The objective was the compression and release of human organs in the body that would kill anyone within 100m or so within 30 seconds.

Then of course, as mentioned earlier, there is the story behind Kate Bush's song "Experiment IV".

Perhaps the source of it is robotics engineer Vladimir Gavreau? He worked in a large concrete research facility in Marseilles, France during the late 1950s.

Both Gavreau and his people experienced feelings of extreme nausea . The trigger was a low frequency sound wave caused by a faulty air-conditioniner. The team then explored the propertiies of infrasound, almost rupturing their internal organs and nearly destroying their lab. Gavreau is supposed to have built a series of potentially lethal infrasound devices, though patents for these devices have never been unearthed.

More : borderlandsciences.org...

There was also the "Squawk Box", a sonic weapon allegedly used by the British Army in Northern Ireland in the 1970s. Sonic weapons were used in Vietnam in a totally different way with "Operation Wandering Soul". A chopper mounted device would play a recording of haunting voice of a dead, lost Viet Cong soldier.

Since then we've seen different types of sonic weaponry, mainly non-lethal used in the Gulf Wars and even in Korea of late.

The Department of Defense's Non-Lethal Weapons Program will soon be testing what has been described as "a screaming ball of plasma" gun called LIPE -- Laser-Induced Plasma Effect. The weapon is designed to deliver a target-specific burst of high-decibel noise intended to confuse and startle an enemy into retreat.

Source : www.truthrevolt.org...

There seems to have been an awful lot of research going on and we do have various technologies which have been deployed.

So was something being tested in and around Warminster?

I can't find anything to substantiate a secret experiment to explain that noise. But I still consider it a possibility.

I did find a documentary from the 1990s. Good old VHS, "....re-record not fade away". hmmm

Enjoy, endure or ignore....

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I think he was feeding off Holton too, they seemed to be filling a need in each other.

Perhaps the British were trying something similar around Warminster in 1964/65?

Wow, I think that's the best theory yet. Kate Bush had a few songs about the military. I used to love 'Army dreamers' (still do actually). Yes, I wonder if there were rumours of these things?

Studies have found that exposure to high intensity ultrasound at frequencies from 700 kHz to 3.6 MHz can cause lung and intestinal damage in mice. Heart rate patterns following vibroacoustic stimulation has resulted in serious negative consequences such as atrial flutter and bradycardia. [7] [8]

The extra-aural (unrelated to hearing) bioeffects on various internal organs and the central nervous system included auditory shifts, vibrotactile sensitivity change, muscle contraction, cardiovascular function change, central nervous system effects, vestibular (inner ear) effects, and chest wall/lung tissue effects. Researchers found that low frequency sonar exposure could result in significant cavitations, hypothermia, and tissue shearing. (Yuck)

No follow on experiments were recommended. (
) Tests performed on mice show the threshold for both lung and liver damage occurs at about 184 dB. Damage increases rapidly as intensity is increased.[citation needed]

Quick search on sonic warfare

Here's a registration form from a weird European symposium, 2011. Some pretty interesting posters and lectures happening: www.non-lethal-weapons.org/sy06programme.pdf

This would be hiding in plain sight. In an area with a history of spooky goings on, these events would just blur into the background, chalked down to legends over time. Maybe?

edit on 14-9-2015 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Your research slightly kicking my 'research's ' arse, there.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Not at all mate. When ATS is at it's best is when people can consider other opinions and offer up possible solutions by working together.

What I find odd is that all this happened when my parents were still in the bloom of youth. But it all sort of got sidetracked from the bizarre noises into something a lot stranger and also a lot more fringe topic than most people seemed to want to tread. Why, I don't know? But strange sounds are still going on around the world now.

So I think we were diverging onto the same train of thought on this case over the last few days.

We don't have many real big 'blockbuster' UFO cases in Britain. Rendlesham burns like the Orfordness lighthouse once did as a beacon of ufological light across our isles. But like all movie blockbusters we know, despite the Brit association, deep down it was really created by the Americans.

So we have to look at the supposed Berwyn Mountains Crash and perhaps the Bob Taylor Dechmont Woods, Alan Godfrey and Sheffield '97 cases. After that we are scraping for anything more than weird lights in the sky stories.

Warminster seems to be a story that is either looked back nostalgically as a 'crazy' time in the 1960s and 1970s or just ignored these days. Why?

Was it really just an embarrassing non-event?

Or was there something more to those sounds? Did someone decide it should be pushed towards a wholly supernatural and totally weird explanation to cover up for what was really going on?

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I'm only 6 minutes into the video (VHS, how apt for this story!) and the first thing I noticed is that of all the witnesses who saw lights, they all saw something different. So, either they're all liars, they are all confused about what they saw or ..they all saw something different.

Do you remember 'Supernature' by Lyall Watson? I love that book! I remember, vaguely, a story about a man in an office who used to feel sick, and possibly hallucinate, and it turned out to be the vibrations from a window or some such thing. I can't remember, I'll need to go and dig it out. But anyway, I was reminded of it and lo and behold...

In 1998, Vic Tandy, experimental officer and part-time lecturer in the school of international studies and law at Coventry University, and Dr. Tony Lawrence of the psychology department wrote a paper called "Ghosts in the Machine" for the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research.
Their research suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings.

Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing. The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly.
Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[40] This was why Tandy conjectured that he had seen a ghostly figure— he believed that it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which caused the vibration of the foil.[41]

Infrasound wiki

They might all have seen somthing different if there was nothing to see...if it was a sonic wave, say - sometimes audible, sometimes inaudible. It's really hard to make sense of it otherwise.
What I do believe though, is that they can't all be lying. Some maybe, but all is very unlikely.

There's almost too much in the story to discredit it - a homeopath who collects a dossier and then refuses to show it, who retracts evrything later, 'alien' visitors with messages about saving the planet - all nonsense. Exactly like you say, pushed towards a supernatural explanation to cover up...something.

Remember, this is only 20 years or so after the experiment on Anthrax Island. Tests were happening around us, it is not inconceivable.

Anthrax Island BBC Scotland

Ok, back to the VHS!

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Supernature must have passed me by. I've never heard of it! I must check it out if I ever find the time.

As for the VHS tape, that documentary also features David Holton for all of about 10 seconds. He appears at around 1:03:30 looking like he was wearing one of those goofy, comedy nose, glasses (but not the moustache) sets that you used to see in joke shops! LOL. Not sure I can take anything from it all but at least we get to hear from Shuttlewood and some of the locals who saw or heard things.

Anthrax island is by no means isolated as a 'secret' test either.

Despite Chemtrails not really being a subject that's even whispered about here in Britain it is actually on record that

.....between 1955 and 1963 planes flew from north-east England to the tip of Cornwall along the south and west coasts, dropping huge amounts of zinc cadmium sulphide on the population. The chemical drifted miles inland, its fluorescence allowing the spread to be monitored. In another trial using zinc cadmium sulphide, a generator was towed along a road near Frome in Somerset where it spewed the chemical for an hour..........

the MoD describes how between 1961 and 1968 more than a million people along the south coast of England, from Torquay to the New Forest, were exposed to bacteria including e.coli and bacillus globigii , which mimics anthrax. These releases came from a military ship, the Icewhale, anchored off the Dorset coast, which sprayed the micro-organisms in a five to 10-mile radius.

......South Dorset between 1971 and 1975....involved US and UK military scientists spraying into the air massive quantities of serratia marcescens bacteria, with an anthrax simulant and phenol.

Similar bacteria were released in 'The Sabotage Trials' between 1952 and 1964. These were tests to determine the vulnerability of large government buildings and public transport to attack. In 1956 bacteria were released on the London Underground at lunchtime along the Northern Line between Colliers Wood and Tooting Broadway. The results show that the organism dispersed about 10 miles. Similar tests were conducted in tunnels running under government buildings in Whitehall...........

Source : www.theguardian.com...

What's rather concerning is that an official spokeperson said in 2002

Sue Ellison, spokeswoman for Porton Down, said: 'Independent reports by eminent scientists have shown there was no danger to public health from these releases which were carried out to protect the public.

'The results from these trials_ will save lives, should the country or our forces face an attack by chemical and biological weapons.'

Asked whether such tests are still being carried out, she said: 'It is not our policy to discuss ongoing research.'

Then there are the accusations that the RAF were "cloudbusting" in 1952 and this caused the devastating floods that destroyed the village of Lynmouth.

There are some interesting hints of documents in the National Archives (not available digitally) that might contain details about strange sonic experiments. But I have neither the time to visit Kew Gardens., nor the finances to waste on requesting digital copies that may ultimately tell me nothing.

My suspicions lie with the Ministry of Defence being behind the creepy sounds. Perhaps they did create "illusions" in the minds of the witnesses by the use of Infrasound. Maybe those experiments didn't stop and it also explains some of the weird goings elsewhere?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yes, he couldn't have come across as more bonkers if he'd tried! He's very interesting though...

The chemical 'trials' you listed above have left me pretty speechless, I'll admit. A bit of an obsession with anthrax and anthrax mimic-agents, it would seem. Sue Ellison, I would be happier if you would name the eminent scientists and make their reports public, maybe?
But the last statment leaves me with chills: "It is not our policy to discuss ongoing research."
Uurgh. Not a brilliant policy for the rest of us, I'm afraid.

My suspicions lie with the Ministry of Defence being behind the creepy sounds. Perhaps they did create "illusions" in the minds of the witnesses by the use of Infrasound. Maybe those experiments didn't stop and it also explains some of the weird goings elsewhere?

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you, which actually makes your thread even creepier than it was in the first place!

In a strange synchronistic way, I saw this on the BBC earlier and thought of you:

For the first time, scientists have directly controlled brain cells using sound waves, in a tiny laboratory worm. They used ultrasound to trigger activity in specific neurons, causing the worms to change direction.

As well as requiring a particular gene to be expressed in the brain cells, the technique bathes the animals in tiny bubbles to amplify the sound waves. These complications temper the technique's promise for controlling brain activity in a non-invasive way.

BBC/Science 16.9.15

Very interesting article - leaves you wondering where the idea came from?

edit on 16-9-2015 by beansidhe because: sp

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
There is a problem with infra sound and it is the reason it was tried and then dropped pretty quickly and I suspect, long before any such tests as might have been done on an unwitting public. To all intents and purposes, sound below a certain Hertz is what is termed as "omni directional". This is incredibly important as it means that, you can't "direct" the sound and it has exactly the same effect on the operators as it does the intended victims, something the Russians found out to their cost. If you have a subwoofer set up to hand then, turn off the satellites and just turn the sub up and then close you eyes and try and spot where the sound is emanating from. Back in 1965 there would have been, not only very few speakers capable of producing such a sound rather, they really didn't have the amplifiers to project it to any great degree either. Firstly, you need a hugely powerful amplifier with a massive power supply as you would talking about trying to drive a speaker at a 2 Ohm and possibly even lower "load". Think of the ability to drive a low ohm load as being similar to the torque on a car engine. A 2 ohm load, is a four wheel drive going up a very steep hill and then some.

Even today, amplifiers that can drive that sort of load are one, pretty rare and two, commensurately expensive. I can't think of any circuit available in 1965 that could have been utilised to create such an amplifier. You'd also, be looking at something akin to a 24 inch Bass driver with probably, an efficiency of less than 84db for one watt of power. You'd need a serious mains supply to power that sort of amplifier and at the time, it would have most likely, needed a couple of large flat bed trucks with their generators to driven a single amp to anything like a stable level. Don't forget, this before anything such a modern Public Address system existed, certainly nothing that could cope with sub bass.

Had the "Warminster Sounds" occurred only 5 or 6 years later, then there might be a case for pointing the finger at the MOD, in 1965 the technology simply wasn't available and that they had was, woefully underpowered to perform such a "trick" over such a wide area. The military might have had loads of kit that was ahead of its' time, 1K FET power amps were almost certainly not amongst their itinerary. This is one area where, the military are almost wholly beholden to the public sphere for sourcing their kit since the end of WW2.

The 10 most significant Power Amplifiers

For those purely practical reasons I am very doubtful that, this was some "experiment with sound" in 1965.
edit on 16-9-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

You're right Firemoon. If we think of why the Beatles stopped touring in the summer of 1966 it was because there were no "amp stacks" available and they couldn't hear themselves properly (and also because of the complexities of their changing sound). "Stadium Rock" was still a decade away. Plus I was mistakenly forgetting. that despite being an amazing decade in terms of progress, it was still 50 years behind what we have now.

So perhaps it wasn't British Army experiments after all.

It's still going on ....all around the world weird sounds are heard

edit on 17/9/15 by mirageman because: edit

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I suppose that, the big bun fight comes over the understanding of the human interaction with these phenomenon. On the one hand, there's the stance that, everything these infra sound effects produce is merely in our minds. On the other hand there is the , in my humble opinion legitimate concept that, whilst yes, much of what is produced is of our own minds there is also a "gate opened" by these effects into a world that is maybe denied us under our normal circumstances.

I would say that, given the history of the human experience that, we do indeed make much up and yet, we also are allowed access to that we normally do not see and are blissfully unaware of, a realm of "quantum uncertainty" where we can actually "see between the worlds" . An area where, we as yet, have no proper scientific data and still are not quite sure how we regularly access it. Truth is,at are most basic, we are all vibrations that exist in certain "reality" and we are now learning there might be any number of other "realities" not from the stars or other galaxies rather, living cheek by jowl with us.

It's interesting that, in Western Society that, very few "Psychonauts" flatly deny the existence of weirds+++ and that, those most vocal in their opposition to weirs+++, are often those least suited to becoming "Psychonauts" .
edit on 17-9-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FireMoon

Indeed - very well put. I think something is going on but it's probably beyond our comprehension at the moment.

Do you think that the sounds were core to the Warminster mystery or are they just a part of the whole show?

posted on Sep, 18 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Top thread mirageman! You're a star, putting these threads together with great detail.

I'd never heard of Aenstria/Inxtria before, but an internet search reveals a channeller by the name of Robert Shapiro.

Make of this what you will, but in Robert's book 'Andromeda' (its' prologue reveals that 'the Andromedans who contacted Professor Hernandez tell us what really happened'), there's an intriguing section entitled, "The antimatter device in the Bermuda Triangle".

books.google.co.uk...=onepage&q=bermuda&f=false
www.lighttechnology.com...

... that wasn’t the real problem. The real problem was that beings who were intended to go to the then dimensional level of two and a half or so, eventually to take over third-dimensional Earth, were coming into your time and your place. They needed to be elsewhere. Their energy would have been felt by you as being negative, but they needed to resolve their situation. This has to do with those beings from the negative planet in Sirius.

So you’ve done this at length. The problem was that the device created an attraction and altered their course so that the proper course for them was skewed for a time, so they wound up being all over Earth in your time, in your place, and they very painstakingly had to be removed. And sometimes human beings in your time had what were like "tubes" connected to them, because these beings would travel in something like a "tube," and while there are "tubes" to do many things, these "tubes" would feed into people, these beings, and create chaos for all concerned. This has been corrected.

Yes, they are on a lower dimension of Earth now.

Yes, and it took a significant amount of time and lots of people involved to create a clearing there. But they have been cleared from your people now. It created a certain amount of popular culture around that as well, people saying this and that because of phenomena that was generated. But I think we can gloss over this; it’s been resolved.

This kind of 'problem' could feed into a myriad of things: ghosts, possession ("tubes"), phenomena described in this event, and at Skinwalker Ranch, and so forth. A UFO/ET/contact angle could be benefactors 'tidying-up' or rectifying the situation (or more sinister forces taking advantage of it) . . .

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm struck by the similarities between these events
and those in Point Pleasant WV (as chronicled in The Mothman Prophecies)

*isolated area
*military stuff fairly close by
*'alien' encounters
*strange noises and things in the sky
*phone calls

Warminster didn't have a 'Mothman' but still pretty interesting
thanks, I had never heard of any of this
the weapons testing stuff sounds reasonable

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join