It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Warminster ‘Thing’ : UFOs and Supernatural Disturbances in ‘Small Town England’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
a reply to: mirageman

I've been researching and been in awe of all kinds of spiritual, supernatural, alien, conspiracy situations etc for about 20yrs now. In fact I'm watching Ancient Aliens as we speak 😂

Absolutely love anything that we don't tend to see as or deem "the norm" and I would believe there is much more to the stories from Shuttlewood as well. Although I'd like to know if Hernandez' meeting with "Lya" or Shuttlewood's experience with Kearne was the first with a being from "Aenstria/Inxtria."

While we're on this subject however, I happened upon this story in The Mirror from only a week ago which says the late Sir Patrick Moore saw something in the 60's while sky watching with Shuttlewood (I believe in Warminster) but the BBC edited it out.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:10 PM
To my generation a "skywatch" at Warminster was a rite of passage. I've spent a few night on both Cradle and Starr/Middle Hill. It's been 30 years since my last one and I have to say. in all my visits there never once saw much security activity and in fact, on one particular visit we somehow, ended up driving right across an army accommodation base and out through the main gate about 3 am without being challenged once. it was the "sleeping policeman" speed bumps that made us realise we were somewhere we probably shouldn't have been. Back in 83-84, speed bumps were a rarity on normal roads.

My first visit was in 75 when I was 17 years old with a couple of friends from the sixth form, in an electric green Austin Allegro..arf arf arf . On the Saturday night,mid summer, I'd guess there were some 15 people from various parts of England on Starr and Cradle. We missed a quite spectacular sighting that there is photographic evidence of by a week or so and there were forty odd witnesses to that particular event.

"The Flying Saucerers" photo from Starr Hill 1975

The numbers dropped off by the 80s though, there are still those who visit there for a skywatch on a balmy summer's night.

One of the most common reports from the Warminster, Silbury Hill, Glastonbury, Avebury area are the so called "Invisible helicopters/aircraft. They are still happening, as recently as 2006 a mate of mine was on Silbury Hill as the dawn was breaking and clearly heard the engines of some aerial object yet saw absolutely nothing even though they were sure it flew over them on the top of the mound. The sky was crystal clear at the time. Another friend of mine, who sadly passed a couple of years ago , told me their one and only "UFO type experience" was at Glastonbury in 70-71 where, he and several friends swore they heard the engines of some object land in a field by the base of the Tor and yet there was nothing visual sighted at all. Just as light is refracted through different mediums and can fool a person into thinking an object in one place, when it actually in another, the same can happen with sound in the Earth's atmosphere. it called "atmospheric focusing" and it is worth reading up on. Does seem rather odd though that, this one particular area of the country should be so prone to its' effects, if indeed that is the cause of some of the incidents.

I did have one incident that made me chuckle myself on Starr Hill. I was there with about half a dozen friends and there were several others on and about Starr Hill. it was a gorgeous clear summer's night and as our collective heads craned upwards to the sky, there was a tiny lighted object tracking from the North Western horizon almost directly over our position. I remember clearly in unison several of us saying.... "Ah yes, a classic satellite", at which point, the little blighter, pulled a 90 degree turn and shot off over the eastern horizon at a huge rate of knots.

Whatever the various phenomenon's source or sources, it is worth remembering that, This is one of the oldest continually inhabited "Sacred Landscapes" in the world what's more, it's inhabitants are far more "tech savvy" than most, how many on here have "Danger Tanks Crossing" road signs round where they live? There were numerous firing ranges around the area so the locals were and still are, use to far more "weird noises" than most are. That includes all shapes and sizes of military vehicles and convoys wandering around at random times of the day and night along the local roads.
edit on 9-9-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 02:38 PM
a reply to: FireMoon

Thanks for that anecdote FIremoon it paints a nice picture.

I get the feeling "Warminster" is a story that is very quaintly's more "Dr. Who" than "Star Trek" and seems to have been mainly a social thing once the initial excitement had died down.

Did you ever get to meet Arthur Shuttlewood himself?

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:47 PM
a reply to: beansidhe

Hello again beansidhe

Here is a bit of an update on David Holton the scientist who proclaimed that the 'Thing' killed a flock of pigeons but became a bit edgy about revealing his 'secret dossier' once a public meeting had been organised.

Flying Saucer Review (a very old but interesting British publication said this in their 1965 Vol 11 No.4 Issue)

Since January, reports of the phenomenon have been frequent in the Warminste1' area. In April. an onset of the noise was witnessed over Five Ash Lane, between the villages of Crockerton and Sutton Veny, and a Mr. David Holton of Crockerton told how he was on the spot soon afterwards.

Mr. Holton is an amateur geologist and naturalist who has studied the phenomenon for some months, and he tells how on this occasion a flock of pigeons was disturbed by the approaching sound wave. The birds became terrified and scattered, and the man who witnessed the scene said several fell lifeless. When Mr. Holton examined them soon afterwards, he found them still warm, yet displaying a remarkable degree of rigor mortis.

The phenomenon is by no means peculiar to the Warminster district. Many people have studied it, and its effects, and many incidents are on record. There was one in 1961 which even involved a fatality, when a cyclist rode into a “sound wave” and was swept from his machine by the impact, and died later from his injuries. That incident was in the Yorkshire Moors.

... A Theory

These strange happenings have been written off as a number of things, such as Earth tremors, the Aurora Borealis, static electricity in the atmosphere, meteors, water mains, electricity supply and motor cars. Mr. Holton, it seems, was not put off the scent by those who resorted to conventional explanations, and he pursued his research into records past and present. He came to some surprising, and very interesting, conclusions which he summarised in a letter which was published in the local weekly, the Warminster Journal, in the issue of Friday, June 4, 1965. ....

Mr. Holton stated that he had discovered that recorded instances of the phenomenon were occurring at places which when linked, formed “straight lines” on the map, and that three of these lines passed through Warminster itself. He also told how a number of witnesses to whom he had spoken about the noise had also had fleeting glimpses of a luminous object overhead.

Original Source : Flying Saucer Review 1965 V11 No4

Here is the original press clipping from the Warminster Journal of August 31st 1965

Even then people were suspicious of him and this dossier of his being burned seems very extreme.

Zoom forward to the present day and well known 'MI5 disinformation agent' (or British folklore historian and consultant for the National Archives UFO files; depending on who you talk to!) Dr. David Clarke says in his recent book:

....In a letter published [10th June 2005] in the Warminster Journal, David Holton revealed he was the person who set the hare running forty years earlier. It was he said, ‘a psychological experiment that succeeded beyond even the wildest flight of my imagination’.....

Holton said his experiment was inspired by the paper’s account of the strange aerial noises reported during the winter of 1964-1965. ‘It had long seemed to me that the public mood of that time was yearning for some demonstration of the unseen realms’ presence.....I invented a story about a flock of pigeons being killed by sound waves and one or two fictitious incidents and simply sent them to the Journal to see what happened.’ The result was explosive: ‘Reports from witnesses poured in from the surrounding district and continued to do so for the next ten years at least.’

Original Source : How UFOs Conquered the World: The History of a Modern Myth By David Clarke

The letter is given a slightly different analysis in the almost decade old book "In Alien Heat" but with a similar conclusion

This gives a lot of information on David Holton's role in the Warminster mystery.

“To test his thesis, he invented some stories – including the sorry tale of the demise of the flock of pigeons at Five Ash Lane....He feels that the subsequent explosive growth in UFO sightings confirmed his thesis. .....he says ‘What of course is unbelievable, are modern myths about flying saucers and other objects, crop circles and space aliens.’
Of course we have seen hoaxers confess and recant, so perhaps in a few months time, a recantation will be published...Holton himself is unavailable for interview, a friend of his subsequently wrote to the Journal asking people not to request interviews with Holton, as he is seriously ill (17th June 2005).
So do we believe Holton’s confession?
We would set the following against any doubts
• Throughout the early months of the phenomenon, it is Holton who feeds Shuttlewood information. As Shuttlewood himself notes. “It was Mr. Holton who first advanced the spacecraft theory and brought forth the killed pigeons evidence.”
• Holton makes “leading” predictions to Shuttlewood such as “there will be plenty of sightings in the future.....Landings may have taken place already”, as well as sending letters to the Journal, appearing in interviews on local TV, and so on. Interestingly, though, in the statement from which the above quote is taken Holton says that, after this ‘prediction’ he intends to wash his hands of the subject altogether, and that talk of invasion is ‘utter rot’.

Holton’s confession to ‘inventing’ the spaceship hypothesis to explain the local sounds seems to us quite convincing.

Source : In Alien Heat: The Warminster Mystery Revisited By Steve Dewey, John Ries

I'll leave you to make up your mind on what was going on as even if we take his 'confession' as genuine it doesn't explain the whole story.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:27 PM

I met Arthur in the company of others, never spoke to him on a private basis though. It's interesting that you refer to the sociological aspect of the whole scene as that, to my mind and others, is a key part to maybe unlocking what we are dealing with.

if you consider that we humans term as "stealth technology" it is, for the most part, based wholly on not being seen, not being observed and yet, in most shamanistic traditions "stealth" is standing there in broad daylight and people still not seeing, "that that is truly there". Consider many folk tales and the "pay off" is often wrapped in people's reaction and perception to "magick". Thor, Loki and from memory Tyr's journey to Jotunheim and the tests they face are as much about, learning to see past our own perceptions, as they are simple tales of the fantastic. Thor loses a wrestling match to and old crone in reality, the old crone is time, which even the gods cannot thwart. Loki loses an eating contest with what turns out to be hunger and Tyr loses a footrace to what turns out to be the embodiment of "thought".

Ergo, whilst it is undoubtedly perfectly good science to point out how many of people's UFO experiences are guided by their own beliefs, superstitions, fears, desires etc, it is also perfectly good science to point out that. There is also a strong case for they/it are in effect, hiding in plain sight?

One might even and legitimately to my mind the following. Certain peoples oh here, in reality there experience is really no different to that of the likes of Meier and Greer. Oh, they would baulk and squeal foul at the suggestion however, for me, that merely proves the point. That is, their experience is that they seek from the whole phenomenon and that makes them, to my mind, of an identical mindset and if I were them/it who are responsible for the whole thing then, I'd be quietly smiling knowing, as yet, no-one has cracked the code and we can carry on doing what they have done for thousands of years often right in front of the natives with virtual impunity.

To explain a little further, when you read through a sighting note how many of them are either "very practical, it was a nuts and bolts object" or, "It was genuinely crazy the whole experience" where, the witness points out the following or something similar. "i had no interest in the subject and I certainly don't believe in "little grey/green men".

Warminster in a sense, st very typical of something that is peculiarly British that is true and that being, a big population on a small Island. Ergo, those places that, in countries with a less dense population, would be simply left empty or given over to the military are cheek by jowl with the masses. It does rather beg the question, why do governments tend to hide their "weirds+++" in places with along history of weirs+++? Is that merely coincidence, is it some sort of genetic meme or is it, at least to some extent, deliberate? Maybe, it a combination of all three?

Se we are , to some extent, projecting out own idea of this sort of St Mary's Cray Miss Marple existence in Warminster in the 60s aren't we? Bucolic, slow paced, technologically a backwater, chock full of stereotypes with either cut glass accents or a West Country burr. We see the clothes in the video and we cannot help ourselves in making a value judgement based, not really on the reality, rather the picture the MSM paints in our heads.

Yet consider this, in 1960s Warminster many of its inhabitants might well have. Regularly taken coc aine whilst partying in Paris and catching a dose in Brothel. That is, they were a typical soldier serving on the Western front in the British Army in WW1. A goodly few of the females might well have had relationships of a deeply erotic and brief nature with men from all over the world. That is, they dated one of the many soldiers from all over the world that were legion sic, in the area in WW2. Then you have to remember, a good few of those living in Warminster in the 60s were either , working directly for the military in some capacity or were working in relationship to it. The chances are, there were more people in 1960s Warminster personally aware of "quirky/weird/out there, techy type stuff that the vast majority of those living in London. They, their relatives, their friends, worked at those places and rumours are rumours.

I remember a conversation with a guy in his sixties back in the 80s in a pub in the Warminster area.

"You lads here for the shroom season?"

He then went on to tell us how that, "mushrooms" were not something discovered in the 60s ,as we all know they weren't really and that, he and his mates had been taking them since they were kids. Some of the details he spoke about were just too accurate for him to have been on a "wind up", I'm sure the guy had taken them and probably a good few times as well.

That whole area, is not quite the "Peaceful rural backwater" it is so often portrayed as. I think that is well worth baring in mind when looking back on the events that happened there. Remember this, the locals were largely welcoming towards the hordes of very strange looking people who showed up on their doorstep in the wake of the national press exposure. I can think of some far more metropolitan and outwardly cosmopolitan areas where, the locals would have been unwelcoming or outright hostile, to having loads of often "hairy monsters" land uninvited in their area on a regular basis.

it wasn't just sounds and weird objects that were seen either. This always struck me as strange....

. . . a local farmer found, one morning in the summer of 1965, that several acres of land he had left fallow near Warminster were 'a mass of weeds.' They were silvery thistles of a rare type that virtually ceased to flourish in England in the year 1918, proclaimed the experts who excitedly raced to the scene.

I remember a photo from some book in the 70s that showed a huge "Thistle" that a Warminster local claimed had "appeared full-grown, overnight" in their garden.

edit on 10-9-2015 by FireMoon because: grammar

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 05:37 PM

Edited due to a misreading of a post.
edit on 10-9-2015 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 08:12 AM

Wow, thanks for that. Then that is even more confusing. At first, the newspaper clipping made sense; a man who had grown rather precious about his research, who felt that the media's presence would trivialise his work and reduce it to entertainment, possibly would destroy his work. That, in his mind at least, would preserve its integrity.

But the subsequent articles are puzzling, because at first read they do come across as deliberately trying to discredit him.

Of course we have seen hoaxers confess and recant, so perhaps in a few months time, a recantation will be published...Holton himself is unavailable for interview, a friend of his subsequently wrote to the Journal asking people not to request interviews with Holton, as he is seriously ill (17th June 2005).

That could be innocent enough, but again it could be an active attempt to prevent communication. If Holton didn't value the press, and it appears, initially at first even, that he did not trust them to report on the matter in a serious way, then it wouldn't be difficult to keep him away from the media.

There is so much information here to try to make sense of, but the first thing that is interesting is Holton's assertions that the phenomenon locations formed 'lines'.

Is Warminster on this line, do you know?

edit on 11-9-2015 by beansidhe because: pic wouldn't show...?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 08:17 AM

It does rather beg the question, why do governments tend to hide their "weirds+++" in places with along history of weirs+++? Is that merely coincidence, is it some sort of genetic meme or is it, at least to some extent, deliberate? Maybe, it a combination of all three?

That is such an excellent question. It's almost as if it's deliberate, but then arguably, is there any place in Britain immune from historical weird#?

Mushies/shrooms are another good point, but again don't explain the widely heard noises. I'm going to snoop around the internet later and do some thinking.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 08:49 AM

Thanks for posting such a detailed and entertaining thread. I had to comment just to say that it's one of the best threads I've seen posted on ATS for a long time. You've presented the information very well which makes it a pleasure to digest.

Its the first time I've come across these particular sightings which have definitely peaked my interest. When mass sightings are involved and numerous witness statements available, it makes it very difficult to disregard and ignore what's being said. Whether the source of the UFO's are ET or domestic, it still leaves a lot of questions to be answered, regardless of how mundane or extraordinary those answers might be.

Thanks again for sharing, S+F for a well constructed post.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 01:40 PM

I am rather chuffed you got to meet Arthur Shuttlewood and thanks for filling in some more information on Warminster in 1960s.

I often forget how different things actually were back then because the 1960s lives on through the movies and TV like the Bond films, Mad Men etc and of course the great music of the times. Plus the constant references in modern media to the space shots and moon landings, JFK, the Cuban Missile Crisis etc. Nicely put in perspective there my friend and I guess that our experiences ultimately do shape our own reality.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 03:08 PM

Holton's behaviour is mystifying to me and why 40 years later does he suddenly own up but refuse any further correspondence as he is ill?

I only posted information that I could also source links to online so people can make their own minds up. But if I find anything else then I'll add it to the thread.

As for the St. Michael line.

If you go to this website

You can download the St. Michael line mapped on Google Earth (you'll also have to download Google Earth if you don't have a copy.)

Warminster lies about 4 miles south of the line. Which is very close.

I really have no idea what the significance of that is though.

edit on 11/9/15 by mirageman because:

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM

Aah, thank you, it's very close.

The line follows the path of the sun on the 8th of May (The spring festival of St. Michel) on an azimuth of around 242° (28° north of east). This day was celebrated in past times as 'Beltane', the beginning of summer, and a cross-quarter day, marking the midpoint in the Sun's progress between the spring equinox and summer solstice.

Both Glastonbury Tor and "The Mump" at Burrowbridge some ten miles to the south-west appear to have been artificially shaped so that their axis align with each other, with an orientation, 27° north of east. The biggest divergence from this orientation lies in the first/last section from The Hurlers Stone circle to St Michael's Mount, which is much closer to 238° (32° north of east).

St Michael's Alignment

It's just a guess, but since Holton was a homeopathic practitioner he probably knew this. A big assumption I know, but possible. So when he spoke about 'lines' I wondered if he was trying to link it to the St Michael and St Mary lines nearby. And since they are only 4 miles away, it seems likely (maybe
This might give a certain 'credence' to his story; he wouldn't be the first to suggest that there were mystical happenings around ley lines.

Wow, I don't know what to make of this guy, or why I'm so interested in him and Shuttlewood but they are really fascinating people.

B x
edit on 11-9-2015 by beansidhe because: eta page link

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:10 PM

I suspect Mirage you might be touching on the frequency of "underground waterways" their courses and the way they are defined by some. It's a highly controversial subject and does indeed wander full blown into the realms of what might term "pseudo science". On the other hand, given the frequency of such hidden watercourses and their relationship to many sites deemed sacred for countless generations, one does have to rightfully ask, is there some connection, some bond between humans that has down the generations, withered to a mere memory in most?

I notice on the map first posted it lists the female and male lines that run either side of the "old straight track". Those who believe in such powers also believe that the male and female waters a charged like that of a battery in a negative and positive manner. Put simply, grave yards, many sacred sites and many "empty spaces" are found on the negative water sites and people seem to have an inbuilt fear of living in these areas. They are, it is claimed, associated with the scary "weird side" , they make people feel subconsciously uncomfortable. Some would claim that, these sites can lead to long term and serious illnesses should people live, work in and around them. It is, to all intents and purposes, an Occidental version of the "Feng Shui" concept.

This I would say, before people just dismiss the idea as some sort of complete myth. The work done at Coventry University on low frequency noises and their effect on the human psyche. It is now accepted science that, if you are standing above some buried watercourse and that watercourse is flowing in a particular manner through the right chamber, there there is no reason scientifically why it cannot produce low frequency vibration we as humans are consciously, completely unaware of and yet, has a direct effect on our emotional well being and all round feelings of "strange happenings"

This is well worth a read.... Low Frequency Research

I do wonder if there's a direct correlation between "chalk rock" areas and these sorts of sites?

edit on 11-9-2015 by FireMoon because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:32 PM

Interesting, another example of UFO's appearing over UK skies in the early 60's, while in the US it started in the 1940's.
Still leads me to believe these are man made, and part of a continuing competitive development of previously Nazi technology looted from Germany after the war.

Everything I have seen, and every new story I see (at least those with any real credibility), seems to support the idea that the US gained the upper hand with this tech and started on it in the 40's, and the UK then started on it in the 60's - or that the UK experienced these in the the 60's as the US progressed the development into international test flights.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:36 PM

I am fairly sceptical of all the ley lines and New Age stuff. I do prefer a scientific approach (well most of the time).

But I also do like to jump off from that bus every now and again.

Because whatever the truth may be, the stories, and the characters involved can be just as entertaining and interesting in themselves. It's good to take a look around at the different way the world works through other people's eyes. Sometimes you just end up confirming your own biases, other times it can make you think differently about things.

I try to use a sceptical eye with an open mind.

Warminster is fascinating because I think there is something to all this weird stuff people experience. But I don't think the answers are as straightforward as many have tried to make out. I would say Firemoon hit on a few good points earlier

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:52 PM

Interesting and I may be going off at an irrelevant tangent here.

Water is a very anomalous substance with some very peculiar properties. Humans are about 50-60% water? Maybe there's some kind of correlation there as well?

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 05:12 PM

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Interesting, another example of UFO's appearing over UK skies in the early 60's, while in the US it started in the 1940's.
Still leads me to believe these are man made, and part of a continuing competitive development of previously Nazi technology looted from Germany after the war.

Everything I have seen, and every new story I see (at least those with any real credibility), seems to support the idea that the US gained the upper hand with this tech and started on it in the 40's, and the UK then started on it in the 60's - or that the UK experienced these in the the 60's as the US progressed the development into international test flights.

I don't profess to know exactly what was going on but the UK and Europe were dealing with UFO sightings long before the 1960s.

UFOs were appearing over Europe as early as WWII with the Foo fighter sightings. Then we had the Scandinavian ghost rockets just after the war in which the British played a major part in investigating.

During the early 1950s the British MoD Set up a Flying Saucer Working Party which worked with the Americans to establish what was going on. NATO's Operation Mainbrace in Europe included a number of strange UFO sightings in 1952 not long after the Washington DC flap.

Dorothy Kilgallen (a US journalist) also wrote about a "Saucer" crash in the UK long before Roswell had been remixed and rebooted for the 1970s by Stan Friedman.

British scientists and airmen, after examining the wreckage of one mysterious flying ship, are convinced these strange aerial objects are not optical illusions or Soviet inventions, but are flying saucers which originate on another planet.

Source : Timothy Good - A Need to Know

I could go on but have hopefully made my point.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 02:54 PM

I'm reading too much into his profession, I think, and what he might have thought. I have no way of knowing what he would have assumed, but the whole thing is so puzzling!
I agree with Firemoon's assertion that... "Ergo, whilst it is undoubtedly perfectly good science to point out how many of people's UFO experiences are guided by their own beliefs, superstitions, fears, desires etc, it is also perfectly good science to point out that. There is also a strong case for they/it are in effect, hiding in plain sight? "

If you think about the neolithic cairns etc, they were built with a moat. Possibly to symbolise rebirth, but possibly to enhance the acoustics.
Aaron Watson (University of Reading) and sound technician David Keating tested the sound properties of Scotland’s megalithic chambers at Orkney and at Caithness and discovered that:

“Tests have now shown that the chambers were built to create sonic effects which include what we call today the Helmholtz Resonance – the sound created when one blows across the top of a glass bottle- and sub-sonic vibrations, which may have altered the states of worshipper’s (moods).”
(The Quest for the Celtic Key- MacLeod & Robertson)

Experiments included drumming and chanting at different pitches inside the chamber. The volunteers described a range of sensations including ‘ascending’, changing pulse rates, dizziness, and an unnerving feeling that the sounds were actually coming from inside the head and body.
Where infrasonic pitch was attained, too low for the human ear to hear, sounds could be felt in the body.
Watson has stated that he believes that these chambers were not deliberately designed this way, and that the inhabitants would have stumbled across these properties, and exploited them accordingly.

So think then of the underground waterways - can they be felt or heard similarly? These landscapes were sacred for good reason and it would be foolish of us to think that their properties had expired just because we live there now and don't believe in fairies! We interpret our experiences through our own 'goggles' - was the mixture of Holton and Shuttleworth together somehow a catalyst for the phenomenon?

In other words, did they feed off of each other enough to create the backdrop for the saga to occur. I'm not dismissing the weirdness by any means, I'm quite partial to jumping off the bus myself!

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 03:05 PM
Good read !
I will place my thoughts on the RAF...

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 01:49 PM
a reply to: TheBatch

As promised here is some of the information about the Aenstrian aliens that Arthur Shuttlewood supposedly was contacted by:

I told him [Anthony Brooke] of fairly obvious hoax calls I have received late at night on the phone. From Traellison, female queen of a planet (which she terms cantel) called Aenstria; from Caellsan, commander of Spacecraft No. 6; and from Selorik, English interpreter for Aenstria. Although these calls unnerved my wife, who thought Russian agents were responsible, but which I took to be the work of slow-witted imbeciles, I took them down in shorthand and rapidly relayed their contents to my Ministry friend. Mr. Brooke took them seriously, especially Caellsan's warning that "You Earth people are in danger of igniting your cantel from end to end, and in danger of destroying not only the creative system of your own cantel, and solar system, but also endangering ours. For remember—the light from the suns shines upon us all!"

Shuttlewood revealed that "these three strangers" spoke to him for hours on the phone during a seven-week period in September and October 1965.

After the final call on 30th October, I dismissed the calls as definite hoaxes. But Mr. Brooke did not dismiss them so lightly. He imagined I had probably made genuine contact with space brothers from other aerial continents.

Shuttlewood's reaction to such amazing circumstances revealed that a journalist can be ambivalent about his research when dealing with news that could result with an expected critical response. An Appendix of The Warminster Mystery presents Shuttlewood’s recollections of more than a dozen calls from the envoys of the 'cantel' Aenstria.

. . . after ponderous thought, I eventually accepted them as sensible (as opposed to lunatic) ravings that found a sympathetic ear on a lighted landing. But I discounted sentiments which would make me look foolish if trying to persuade responsible editors to publish them.

Caellsan's voice was described by Shuttlewood as having little expression and "without any trace of accent." Caellsan’s commentary included:

"We ask you to help us put this important message before your cantel councils. We wish them to think again over their supreme follies, although we cannot force them to our will. Our beloved Traellison, Queen of Aenstria, cannot commit such power of decisions to our hands, and the Universal Spirit of Truth — whom your Earth peoples call God — banishes compulsion from our minds and hearts."

Caellsan warned strongly against harmful types of scientific and military experiment. On the threshold of the nuclear age, Man could so easily topple headlong over the verge of safety into utter oblivion, from sanity to suicidal madness. The envelope of our Earth cantel would, if we did not exert great care, ignite from end to end in a blazing inferno.

This would surely destroy the creative system of our cantel; it could create upheaval throughout our entire solar system; and even adversely affect his own cantel of Aenstria by its outward repercussions. For the atmosphere beyond our cantel is desperately thin, he revealed. Earth scientists and astronomers, physicists and geologists, have as yet only incomplete knowledge of the immense universe opening out from all around their cantel........

Selorik, who described himself as the English interpreter for Aenstria, had a high-pitched voice, soft and musical to the ear. He sounded much younger than Caellsan, who was a senior spacecraft commander. Selorik concerned himself, chiefly, with personal messages from his beloved Traellison. From his sometimes agitated tones, it was obvious that he, too, felt anxiety over the things that worried her.

She was perturbed over excess radiation in our skies.....I was told that possible threats to our water supplies were uppermost in the minds of Aenstrians....... "We have made your earth town our base. You must tell your people not to be alarmed. We are not here to hurt them."

Full story :

Sounds like the well worn stories aliens of the 50s and 60s would tell (to completely random people as well). To me these warning of environmental damage and abuse of nuclear power seem more reflective of human fears.

But Shuttlewood seemed to get more and more immersed in it all.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>