It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL America still exists - I saw it for myself.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Reread the OP and find the part that implies no one else in the world does this.

I did read the OP and got the distinct impression that it was just a back-patting thread that implied it didn't happen anywhere else. Must be the way it's worded or something.

edit on 7/9/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

No, it's a story about something that happened in America. When all we hear about in the news is the negatives about how no one here can get along, this kind of story is very often ignored.

There is nothing in it about how great it makes us or anything else, only a positive story about how communities in this country still come together even if the media never tells us anything about it.

Nothing anywhere mentions anything about any other country or makes any implications about this country relative to any other. It is exclusively a story about one small town and how it came together. I might suggest that if you can't actually find the verbiage you are seeking, then perhaps the implications exist inside your own head.

edit on 7-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Reread the OP and find the part that implies no one else in the world does this.

I did read the OP and got the distinct impression that it was just a back-patting thread that implied it didn't happen anywhere else. Must be the way it's worded or something.

I don't understand why everyone is becoming defense about making the point that people all over the world are generally kind, helping and loving people either

It's almost as if we are trespassing on their self praise party.

Well there is a saying "Self praise is no praise".

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Chipkin9

I think perhaps you ought to look in a mirror.

No one was defensive about anything until you jumped in here and bashed the OP for not mentioning how great the rest of the world was implying the OP was hating on your little slice of the world.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

a reply to: Kryties

No, it's a story about something that happened in America. When all we hear about in the news is the negatives about how no one here can get along, this kind of story is very often ignored.

There is nothing in it about how great it makes us or anything else, only a positive story about how communities in this country still come together even if the media never tells us anything about it.

Nothing anywhere mentions anything about any other country or makes any implications about this country relative to any other. It is exclusively a story about one small town and how it came together. I might suggest that if you can't actually find the verbiage you are seeking, then perhaps the implications exist inside your own head.

Sorry but when America came together for Hurricane Sandy and Hurricane Katrina worldwide networks were reporting on it non stop about the USA coming together and helping each other out, and it was applauded and respected.

We get it. when Americans help each other out its great.

But isn't it great that every country in the world does the exact same thing?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I think perhaps you ought to look in a mirror.

No one was defensive about anything until you jumped in here and bashed the OP for not mentioning how great the rest of the world was implying the OP was hating on your little slice of the world.

No one bashed the OP.

I simply pointed out an observational fact.

I insulted or bashed no-one.

However, I did receive a few insults for my observations.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Got it.

So if I post a simple feel good story about anything, anything at all, from now on, since I live in America I must also include that caveat that the wonderful people of Lichtenstein, Andorra, Lesotho, the People's Republic of Podunkistan and your great nation of whatever it is ... Oh, and Australia since one of the two of you mentioned you were from there ... are equally wonderful, loving, kind and generous and will give you the shorts off their butts?

Noted.

Good God the world has become ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chipkin9

I don't understand why everyone is becoming defense about making the point that people all over the world are generally kind, helping and loving people either

Your next line answers this:

The OP DOES somewhat imply that it only happens in America, regardless of how much we get piled on by others.

Anyway, I'll say it again, as it seem to have got lost on most posters here: It is admirable to see people coming together to help others in need. The world, as a whole, is better off for having these people in it.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: Chipkin9

Your next line answers this:

The OP DOES somewhat imply that it only happens in America, regardless of how much we get piled on by others.

Anyway, I'll say it again, as it seem to have got lost on most posters here: It is admirable to see people coming together to help others in need. The world, as a whole, is better off for having these people in it.

Well it seems you can't make an observation on here without getting crapped on...even while agreeing with the OP.

You can't win.

People left, right and centre getting defense for saying something so simple as "Humans in general all over the world are good natured".

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
CEASE AND DESIST with the personal snipes. Please..

I apologize if anyone took offense at my thread title, it was not my intent to imply Americans were somehow better than everyone else.

What I meant was that this was a reminder of the best part of the country I grew up in. The only country I've ever lived in I might add. Of course Chipkin9 is right there are great and helpful people in every country - it's human nature.

Perhaps the fact there is even an argument over a thread of this nature is indicative of yet another problem - focusing too much on our own and not thinking of humanity in a larger sense. Maybe I am waxing a tad provincial but I was happy to be a part of what I feel is representative of the best in human nature - it just happened where I used to live is all.

I ask both a fellow member - No more personal remarks please.
We should bring our best to ATS as well.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Mod Note:

It's amazing how a good news story about caring people can devolve into a sniping match.

Please stick to the topic and refrain from slinging mud.

Thanks.

Please do not respond to this p[ost

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nah man, you are pretty obviously trying to manipulate how people view the person you are arguing with currently. They were just stating that getting together and helping people may be an American thing, but it is first and foremost a human thing; and that it would be more accurate to explain it as a humanitarian spirit, not merely an American spirit.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

I apologize if anyone took offense at my thread title, it was not my intent to imply Americans were somehow better than everyone else.

All good mate, it's been clarified now so we shouldn't let it detract from the meaning of the message as a whole.

What I meant was that this was a reminder of the best part of the country I grew up in. The only country I've ever lived in I might add.

And that's entirely fair mate. With all the bad stuff happening around the world (and in America) at the moment sometimes its good to have a reminder that the sky isn't falling, that dreams are not over.

Perhaps the fact there is even an argument over a thread of this nature is indicative of yet another problem - focusing too much on our own and not thinking of humanity in a larger sense. Maybe I am waxing a tad provincial but I was happy to be a part of what I feel is representative of the best in human nature - it just happened where I used to live is all.

I think one can partially blame the media for this, they tend to focus on all the bad stuff to get the viewers flocking to them but rarely do they report the lots of good stuff that happens, or if they do it's added like a short addendum to the end of the news broadcasts as if they suddenly remember that they should report something good.

For some unknown reason when I read that Tina Turners "Simply the Best" started playing in my head.

edit on 7/9/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
CEASE AND DESIST with the personal snipes. Please..

What I meant was that this was a reminder of the best part of the country I grew up in. The only country I've ever lived in I might add. Of course Chipkin9 is right there are great and helpful people in every country - it's human nature.

I ask both a fellow member - No more personal remarks please.

I am sorry if I opened a can of worms with my initial comment.

The last thing I wanted or expected was for it to turn into an off topic pissing contest.

I was (and noone else was) offended in the slightest with the thread topic.

My observation was based on what you said "Thinking of humanity as whole" instead of the kindred spiritedness being location based.

Apologies for derailng the thread

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

thats a lovely story. I have seen this too, when i least expected. this sort of things happen to me a lot. sometimes i would be furious about something trivial because of frustration, then comes along someone i would never expect to help me stand up straight and my chin up. maybe im just lucky.

but do you think this ideological "America' is slowly fading? do you think that this doesnt exist in certain parts of the country?
how can this 'America' be propagated and pay forward the rare goodness from kind folks who still linger in the midst of all the madness?

/vr

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Nice to be reminded of it every once in a while...thanks

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Kudos to you and all involved. It's not so unique to happen, just to hear about... it's nice to hear about Americans being human.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

You didn't derail the thread, you pointed out something relevant.
As an American it's easy for me to only see things from a certain point of view.
It's hardly unusual for Americans to be boastful and given our dominant role in world affairs over the last 60 years we also become a lighting rod for criticism (rightly so imo).
There is also a perception that because something happens in the US it becomes more important than if the same happened elsewhere in the world which in a political sense may have some truth to it but not on a personal level.

So no biggie,
Carry on good people, wherever you may claim as home.

edit on 7-9-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

About 10 years ago when I lived in Richmond, VA I was wondering about whether those ideals were disappearing. It took a flood of biblical proportions brought on by a hurricane to bring the truth out. Normally, people there are rude drivers. Not very courteous, looking out for themselves and all that.

After loosing electricity city-wide for over a week people began spontaneously being polite drivers - allowing others to go through at lights that weren't working, asking if you needed anything as they were driving 50 miles out to get ice and groceries, volunteering to clear fallen trees off other's homes and cars, etc. It was amazing and left me wanting for the power to never come back on again.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join