It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL America still exists - I saw it for myself.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Driving home from my youngest son's wedding last Saturday night my wife and I were chatting about all the people we'd met and not paying much mind to the mountain scenery we driving through when we passed 2 kids riding on bicycles followed by a van. 6 hours later I get a frantic call from oldest son asking if we'd seen 2 girls riding bikes - they had been reported missing 6 hours ago and were visiting from out of town and were unfamiliar with the area. The area being way out in the country, surrounded by National forest land with houses dotting the road every quarter mile or so. The fact there was a van behind them led us wonder if perhaps the girls had been abducted.

The REAL AMERICA showed up that night when dozens of volunteers began combing the area looking for these 2 lost girls. Most of them stayed out all night searching until word got out they were found alive and well. It didn't matter that these girls didn't live there - what mattered was they were missing and until they were found everyone in that small, tight-knit community in the mountains was going to be out looking for them until they were found.

A new search was going to be started at 8 am and around 100 off duty Virginia state troopers had come from all over the state on their day off to help in the search that thankfully wasn't needed. THAT is the real America to me, where everyone pitches in when someone is in trouble. I saw it and felt great to be a part of the same community where I lived over 20 years ago, walking trails with flashlights in hand side by side with people I once called my neighbors. The real America is still out there, don't give up hope.

Video about the missing girls and short interview with some of my in-laws:
www.wset.com...#
edit on 7-9-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Amazing isnt it ? That all the differing groups of people that are portrayed to hate each other , coming together in a common cause for good. Now if it could be permanently forgotten, what could we accomplish ?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The real America has always been there. Just get rid of all the people and there it is, the real America.
I think what you are refering to the real American spirit and that is always been there when you get out of the cess-pits you call cities.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
We all need to hear stories like this more often. They happen, but it's hardly even talked about. Imagine the change in all of us if stories like this played on the news at the rate the negative stories do. Thanks for telling us.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There are many good folks out there. The news reports 99% negative events so sometimes the bad seems to out weigh the good. There are many problem people and situations but there is still a great number of people who care when help is needed.

Glad the situation turned out well.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Amen to that. What we perceive to be our biggest problems are usually not that important. When the US was young most people were farmers and raising barns, plowing, planting and other tasks were often community affairs. Being sick or injured just one season could ruin a family so others would come to their aid knowing that if needed the favor would always be returned.

Independence is a nice but interdependence has it's own merits.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
For the cop haters:
Over 100 off-duty State Troopers came from all over to help search.
To these men and women being a cop is more than just a job.
Remember these troopers next time you hear a negative story about LEOs.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
The real America has always been there. Just get rid of all the people and there it is, the real America.
I think what you are refering to the real American spirit and that is always been there when you get out of the cess-pits you call cities.

Dont need to get rid of all the people . Just the "imaginary" groups we are allocated to. After all, in the end we are all human.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
There are some good people out there still. It reminds me of the thread HomerinNC put up yesterday about the old man who was working on his roof and the neighbors came and helped. I hope the two girls are found and that they're fine.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think the thread title could be changed to "Real Humanitarianism Exists, I saw it for myself".

The title and people in this thread imply that people coming together to search for missing persons is exclusive to the USA...I am sorry to nitpick but it's not.

People from every country in the world have good kind people out there who volunteer for missing persons, help from natural disasters etc etc...

It's great to see your community coming together for a good cause and thank goodness the girls were found safely...I just thought I would point out though that there is real humanitarians worldwide.

Chipkin9
edit on 7-9-2015 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Oh, it lives. Just hit small town American next time a tornado rolls through. In many places, the entire community pulls together and organizes the cleanup without hardly batting an eye.

I saw it in my mom's hometown. an EF4 to 5 rolled through cut a swath through the middle. By the time the FEMA guy showed up, the community already had the cleanup 2/3 of the way done and well organized between the immediate townsfolk, the surrounding farm community and the extended family members who rolled in to help out.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Chipkin9

The title and people in this thread imply that people coming together to search for missing persons is exclusive to the USA...I am sorry to nitpick but it's not.

You're either as dense as Appalachian mountain rocks, or in denial...

North America, for some time now, has been the bullseye for those seeking to point out Social injustices. The occasional reminder that it still harbors those with high moral imperatives is key in allowing others to dress it down on a daily basis - so, in a way, you should be happy this thread was posted.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Wow personal insults, classy as ever.

And what exactly am I in denial about?

I think it's great that there are people from all communities coming together for a good cause.

It makes a change from all the racial tension threads.

But I have a right to point out that this isn't an exclusively American thing to do without being insulted because of your ignorance.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The point wasn't about it being "exclusively American." Nowhere did the OP indicate that.

The point was that in today's world of news coverage where it seems everyone in America is at someone else's throat over something and no one likes anyone else ... it's good to see this kind of cooperation still exists here.

Is there some reason to think Europe has been portrayed just as horribly divided? Do we see just as many stories about how your racial minorities can't get along with anyone else and vice versa? Are you cops being executed in the streets while being accused of executing people in the streets?

If not, then you don't see why this thread was so nice to see.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well pluck me for having an opinion.

If you read my posts I said it was good to see America coming together instead of hating on each other, I was not ignorant of this fact!

Still no need to fire personal insults.

ETA: For the record, people in power everywhere are corrupt and there is hatred and tension in 80% of the countries in the world, yet they come together as well...yet this felt like patting your own backs...which is why I made the point that humanitarianism exists worldwide and not just the USA.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Excuse me?

Exactly which part was a personal insult?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You really are ignorant.

"Dense as rocks" isn't an insult to someone's intelligence to you, no?

ETA: The insult wasn't made by you it was Bestinshow

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Very admirable, but not exactly unique to America

The same thing happens here in Australia and I am sure it happens in many other countries all over the world on a regular basis. Most humans are compassionate at heart and will help their fellow humans in their times of need.

Still, I am happy to hear the girls were found and it came to a good conclusion! Theres is some good Karma coming to the volunteers!

EDIT TO ADD: I see Chipkin9 beat me to it and got unjustly hammered for it. Hmmm. And to answer the next obvious question, no I did not read the entire thread first. He (and I) still have a good point though.
edit on 7/9/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

You replied to me. I am not in the least ignorant, but when you reply to me and claim insult, I assume you are claiming I insulted you.

If you want to cry insult, then at least address the person you claim injury from.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

It is only unjust if you don't consider Chipkin's reply to be adversarial.

Reread the OP and find the part that implies no one else in the world does this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join