It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you prepared?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I've been through a few end of the world dates too, having grown up in a cult I used to live like it was just a month away and it was always on my mind. Something about this one is different. I think it will be an economic crisis too, to start with, so it could be a week or more before we start to see supermarket shelves and bowsers empty. I am prepared to survive an economic collapse, it wont be nice to loose all our mod cons but we will get through and it is amazing what you get used to.

For those who have not prepared for whatever reason I advise to get some cash out by the 19th and get to the shops first if the Dow crashes. You can always deposit it again if nothing has happened by early October.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 8/9/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

link   
triple post

link   
quadruple post - wth?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

New Orleans - most folks in Louisiana do own canoes , boats , swamp coolers. So yes , why not?
Hi-Rise ? Maybe not parachutes but emergency ladders to deploy or zip lines....
You think in the box.......
How many people could have been saved in history by a little forethought and prep?

Since you left a big question mark at the end of your reply like you didn't know what I was talking about?

I was being sarcastic about "prepping" for terrorism or natural disasters as posed by the OP. The poor people most affected by Katrina couldn't afford to "prep". Ladders and zip lines wouldn't save the people trapped above the fires on 911. Or any hi rise fire. Parachutes, maybe, but how many people need that? How do you prep for a nuclear planet meltdown, dirty bomb, suit case nuke, a subway fire, a train derailment or friggin plane used as a cruise missile? You place your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye. In a hurricane you get the hell out. Some couldn't afford to or were too old or sick to move.

"Prepping" (Survivalism in my day) is a come on to spend, spend, spend on stuff you don't need in except the rarest of circumstances.

I'll think outside your box, thank you.
edit on 8-9-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
a reply to: enlightenedservant

shhhhhhhhhh don't brag about it people will break through your front door to steal that stuff!!

Nooo! Not my wood! The people I bought it from said it was premium doomsday wood. It can even fuel fires if I use their exclusive Nibiru Apocalypse lighters. Luckily most people don't know about this stuff. Money well spent, I'd say.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I grew up in Florida, everyone I knew kept a stash of dry easily prepared meals, a means to filter water, and well yes we all preferred to fish so a Jon boat or canoe wasn't out of tge question.

My first duty station in Louisiana, hurricanes, and an ice storm so bad the roads were not passable for nearly a week.

Next base oklahoma... Fires, tornadoes, and lately earthquakes.

Then up to South Dakota, ice and snow that occasionally trapped you..

In the NE they had massive snow fall not to far back...

Cali earthquakes, mud slides, and wild fires..

Just a few examples, and of course we have blackouts and a fragile electrical grid.

At a minimum people should have a short wave receiver, dried food stuff, bottled water, first aid kit, a camp stove of some sort to prep the food.

A hiking backpack, good boots and tough clothes are also a good idea.

Least that's my opinion.

Edit: you can get the receiver for 30 to 60 off Amazon.

Dried goods start with canned goods and rice get a little extra when you can afford it.

If bottled water is to expensive, iodine tablets are pretty cheap, can be found at every surplus store I've ever set foot in.

Boots work clothes, and back pack.. You can get an old military one fairly cheap from a surplus store, the boots and hiking clothes. Salvation army would be a good bet.

Matches are all you really need for canned goods, get a fire going and use the cans to cook it in.
edit on 13-9-2015 by Irishhaf because: Cause

Edit: a few days food and water purification ability means if fema is taking forever to help (as usual) you can still feed your family.
edit on 13-9-2015 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I am fully prepared: Popcorn and a couple of the best belgian beers to watch how the nutters try to explain why they failed again at predicting the end of the World.

Why belgian beers, you might ask? There are more than 1'000 different ones, so we can play this game every week for the next 20 years, and i can still discover new flavours.
edit on 13-9-2015 by svetlana84 because: typo

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: svetlana84

I love Belgium beers... When I want to drink, I run across the border to Belgium... To many places here serve bittburger...

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I appreciate all that input and I agree with some basic preparedness. If it looks like rain, bring an umbrella.

I was addressing the poor who can't afford all that stuff, why disasters become more so is because people get caught that can't evacuate and can't afford "prepping".

In the case of Katrina, there was plenty warning and it didn't matter to poor, elderly and sick folk.

In 911 there was no warning.

Same with Earthquakes, car, bus, plain and train accidents. Huge industrial explosions like lately, and wars.

Tornados follow close, so do giant hail, flash floods, volcanoes, lets see…. etc.

I won;t mention asteroids, plague, riots, zombies, Fema.

You see the flood of refugees in EU, right now? They have the clothes on their backs. They had no idea they would be there, now.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

For the elderly I agree, and the people that mortgaged their children's live to prep are stupid.

But to get the basic preps I mentioned can be done if you have a job and can budget, your not going to walk into a store and drop 10 grand obviously.

The vast majority of basic prep items can be bought dirt cheap over time, or can be home grown, or made.

The big thing is prepping does not guarantee you survive the chaos of an event, it just improves your odds.

Every single item I have for prepping I also use for hunting and fishing, camping and hiking, so buying this stuff isn't just for the end of the world.

Don't pay attention to the doomsday preppers show,
People just need to make a list of what would they need to provide food, water and shelter to their family in an event.

I started out wanting to be self sufficient for 1 person for 1 week, over time I've built up to being able to care for 2 people 4 cats, and 2 large dogs for 3 months.

So when fema fails again I won't be forced to attack my neighbors to survive.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

"Prepping" is a come on, to buy stuff. We called it Survivalism in the 80's. It was a fad then and still is, under a different name. If you survive whatever is coming and need all that stuff, some other group of non preppers will take it from you…

Just musings from an old man.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Stuff is great, but true "preppers" are those who learn how to provide sustainable and renewable water and food. Why would I spend 1000's of dollars on canned food that will go bad in a few years? Instead, I could grow my own veggies, and can them myself, and have them last a decade. (and do this every season). I can get about a dozen eggs a day from our 7 chickens. I could breed my rabbits if I put them together, and basically grow some quick harvest meat right there. My well is far better than a pallet of bottled water. (though I do stockpile water, as that's just common sense).

Not a fad for me. Just a way of life. I still work in the city 9 to 5 each weekday, but come the weekend, I'm working on our ranch...not really for some SHTF event, but really just to have fresher, safer food for my family, and a nice place to live and retreat to each night.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
In my 6 years on this site I've lived through about 7 end of the world dates

I've also lived through the Norway spiral, comet elenin, comet ISON, Ebola, the swine flu, numerous scheduled economic collapses, and numerous dates when Obama would have declared martial law

Do not forget Jade Helm 15!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That's one scenario nobody can afford to prep for. Nothing I can do against drones, bombers, tanks, or lots of troops, so not even going to bother trying.

If THAT happens, maybe I can broker a deal instead.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join