It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times attacks Prime Minister Tony Abbott over 'stop the boats' policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

The New York Times has launched a blistering attack on the Abbott government's asylum seeker policies, suggesting they are "unconscionable" and urging European nations struggling with a tide of migrants not to follow suit.

The media outlet singled out Prime Minister Tony Abbott in an editorial on Thursday that indicates Australia's reputation is suffering in the eyes of some international observers under the government's hardline efforts to "stop the boats".

It described Mr Abbott's policies as "inhumane, of dubious legality and strikingly at odds with the country's tradition of welcoming people fleeing persecution and war".

It suggested asylum seekers who arrive in Australia's offshore detention network are forced into conditions "more hopeless and degrading than the ones that prompted them to flee".

"Some European officials may be tempted to adopt the hard-line approach Australia has used to stem a similar tide of migrants. That would be unconscionable," the editorial said.

smh.com.au

Well, let me be the first to say 'respect' to the New York times for bringing attention to the lowlife criminal behavior of Tony Abbott and the Australian government in general.

Locking women and children up in minimum security prisons, who are merely seeking out a better life, is not only inhumane... Its a criminal act, plan and simple! Australia has an obligation to accept these people into our country and treat them with the dignity that all humans deserve.

But for far to long Australia has been disregarding its international obligations with impunity.

So called 'offshore' processing is inhumane and is not only equivalent to spiting in the face of the desperate victims involved, its also spitting in the face of all the countries who actually treat there international obligations seriously and are prepared to take there share of the weight.

Its well overdue that attention was brought to the Australian government and how they're freeloading on there international obligations.

All Australian citizens should be ashamed of themselves!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hardly "worse" conditions that those which they are fleeing.

What a crock of crap...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Massive issue with racism in Australia. It's almost innate.

Shame really, because the country itself is amazing but the old fashioned views within are not.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I cannot but completely disagree with NY Times.

The muslim world is in a total mess - because of their religion and that they are fighting religous wars, funding religious terrorism, and most if not all of it under the Saudi styled salafist rule - this including Boko Haram of Nigeria, Al-Qaeda, Talibans, ISIS and 99% of all the other terrorist organisations.

The reason for civilians running amok is really to escape the conditions these wars have created.

The solution, the ONLY solution, is to quit this religion of war. To move and deplace people all around the world, because of some bunch of jackasses want to harass thems is not the solution. We should get rid of the jackasses.

So, my vote goes for Tony Abbot, and to keep bombing ISIS, fight Al-Qaeda, and keep the borders safe.

(post by Subaeruginosa removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
There are many legal ways to enter Australia as a refugee.

A debate many years ago really made the point. These 'refugees', often categorized as 'sheep herders formally living off only $US20.00 / month'.

They typically fly into Europe, then onto Hong Kong before the final leg into Indonesia. Then they pay around $US10,000.00 to get a 'seat' on one of these rickety boats.

These are not refugees, not with that sort of wealth behind them. Before they are intercepted by the Australian Navy or Coast Guard, the throw their passports and papers overboard.

In many of their native countries, the only way to get that sort of money is occupations such as Slavery, Children trafficking, Gun running and Drug trafficking.

They certainly have not 'saved their pennies'!

These are not the refugees fleeing on foot from a war torn country.

The NY Times can print what it likes, but as an Australian, let us be very sure who they are and if they throw their papers overboard, then they have something to hide. Their past perhaps?

I prefer the way things are done. We do accept genuine refugees and boat people do not fall into this category.

P

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
They are protecting their borders from illegal foreign invaders. Sounds like the right thing to do to me. What am I missing?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
They typically fly into Europe, then onto Hong Kong before the final leg into Indonesia.

That's absolute crap.

Most 3rd world people (Afghans for example) aren't even legally allowed to buy an international commercial airplane ticket.

edit on 7-9-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Most 3rd world people (Afghans for example) aren't even legally allowed to buy an international commercial airplane ticket.

So how do they get to Indonesia to catch a boat to Australia?

Oops, I mean how did they do that, as remember under labor's "open door, red carpet" policy 50,000 turned up.

Under Abbots policy none have landed in Australia, In fact, labor even copied Abbott's very good working policy!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: pheonix358
They typically fly into Europe, then onto Hong Kong before the final leg into Indonesia.

That's absolute crap.

So what? They walk on water do they? How do you think they get here. Swim perhaps?

They can't bloody well walk here, not unless they can hold their breath underwater for a year or so.

P

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
(post by IpoopThere4IAM removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

It was easier to type that than my opinion, and since that's what it will end up looking like anyway I figure I'll just save myself and the mods the trouble.
edit on 792015 by IpoopThere4IAM because: Missing keystrokes consumed by inexplicable internet anomaly.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Australia's reputation is suffering in the eyes of some international observers under the government's hardline efforts to "stop the boats"

2 things Sub,

1. Even our own returning citizens are highly regulated in regards to our bio-security criteria - a criteria that has massive emphasis in regarding to illegally breaching the coastline - it's not just about the humans, that's why Australia PER CAPITA takes more refugees than any other country in the world.source

2. I suggest that these "international observers" need 70c so they can ring someone who gives a ship what they have observed.

Political persecution is a horrible thing - refugees is the result but the remedy is rectification by that countries own people to make a life that does not warrant even the thought of wanting to leave and find a better country.

And on that note - cue the vicious-circle argument of "we caused their counties' destruction so we share the responsibility" - no, banksters and the global military/industrial complex did that - I gave no such consent as a taxpayer for Australia to interfere in any countries affairs.

eg: millions globally protested the 2001 and 2003 lead-up to the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq - we protested to the governments of the world - fat good that did, and now the rest is history.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Sublimecraft because: linking issue

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Asylum seekers and their movements are kept secret from the public in Australia and you know it. This government's behavior has been unconscionable in nearly every aspect of politics.
The rich Chinese being able to buy their way into this country while we lock up REAL refugees, protecting the Catholic Church while they fiddle with kiddies, Tony Abbot making himself the Minister for Women, the TPP..... I could keep going all night..... Are you watching Q and A tonight? .... Just Look at those 2 spineless turds from the major parties... You can't take either of them seriously.

So how do they get to Indonesia to catch a boat to Australia?

Oops, I mean how did they do that, as remember under labor's "open door, red carpet" policy 50,000 turned up.

Under Abbots policy none have landed in Australia, In fact, labor even copied Abbott's very good working policy!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
As an Australian, I take offense to this statement, and challenge you to a good ol' fashioned game of AFL.

As a critical thinker, I agree with you wholly, and wish you luck in your escape from this rock of woe.

I feel that Tony Abbott is a blatant distraction. I honestly struggle to live a day knowing that people fall for his bollocks, or disagree with his bollocks.
That's all it is, bollocks.
Entertainment for the masses, and someone to point the finger at, so that the big game players take no blame.
Tony is a mentally retarded show pony, and I feel he needs to be put out of his unknowing misery.

Let. It. End.
-Australia

edit on 7-9-2015 by Th3D0Ct0R because: (no reason given)

(post by HummDinger removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Th3D0Ct0R
As an Australian, I take offense to this statement, and challenge you to a good ol' fashioned game of AFL.

Yeah, I'd probably have my arse handed to me, I'd imagine. Haven't kicked the footy around since I was a kid and I smoke way to much..... 'totally legal cigarettes', lol.

I feel that Tony Abbott is a blatant distraction. I honestly struggle to live a day knowing that people fall for his bollocks,

Abbott even got caught admitting he was just trying to win over the "hick voters" by ranting on with his "stop the boats" slogan.

But it seems your average voter is still to stupid to realize that there just being played like a puppet.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
They are protecting their borders from illegal foreign invaders. Sounds like the right thing to do to me. What am I missing?

The urge to swallow all the "oh the humanity" propaganda.
Use children, women, special interest groups to sell a larger agenda.
An agenda that coincidentally disinherits your children from control of the very nation of their birth.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hey! Who doesn't love a good "totally legal cigarette" every now and again?... Or every day.
What was the slogan?
"Wake up
/
Go back to bed"

I think I'm getting off topic, but hey, totally legal cigarettes'll do that to you.

Cheers, to the land of the free, "mate".

edit on 7-9-2015 by Th3D0Ct0R because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Look, folks, it's obvious that the elite, those who over see the world's governments don't care about common people. Instead of them blaming the "leaders," who are responsible for this mess, they blame the people trying to escape the chaos the "leaders" have caused.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I entirely agree! Anyone who needs to immigrate to or otherwise enter and reside in Australia as a refugee should be allowed to do so! Who are Australians to claim they have a right to keep refugee people out of Australia?

Whats really needed here is the creation of a UN agency to assign quotas based upon population density and national wealth to countries like Australia, the US, and the EU zone and mandate that they accept their annual fair share quota of refugees. If the governments of those regions balk, then the UN should invoke punitive fines on those regions such that the regions are subjected to exorbitant taxation to pay the fines to the UN! Play or Pay!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join