It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorites of the Post Apocolyptic and Zombie Apocolypse Genre--What's Yours?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
In the last three years, I found myself immersed in the PA/ZA genre, and can't seem to get enough. I have always been a voracious reader, and my Kindle is chalk full of great series, with many takes on a PA scenario. Lately, the genre has been awash in mediocre books on the subject, with a few shining examples(IMO):

The Remaining Series, D.J. Molles
The Purge of Babylon, Sam Sisavath
The New World Series, John O'Brien
Swan Song, Robert R. McCammon
Z-Burbia Series, Jake Bible
Zompoc Survivor Series, Ben S. Reeder
The Olympus Device Series, Joe Nobody
The Survivalist Series, A American
Blue Plague Series & Dark Titan Series, by Thomas Watson--my personal favs!

This is a partial list of the titles I've found to be good reads, with solid story lines and complex character development. I'm curious ATSers: those of you into this genre, what are you reading? What are your favorites?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

For gaming, Fallout is King.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Alasa reply to: Boscowashisnamo
Alas Babylon
Lucifers Hammer
Swan Song is my all time favorite book....Mccamon has written two incredible books, the second being They Thirst. It is probably one of the best vampire books I have ever read...and hard as hell to find! Got my first edition hardback 😊

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Favorites of the Post Apocolyptic...

Engine Summer by John Crowley.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: odinsway

Swan Song is an amazing book. I read it when it was new in the late 80's. I also enjoyed his book of short stories, Blue World very much.

As to the OP. My favorite is and always has been The Stand by Stephen King.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: odinsway
Alasa reply to: Boscowashisnamo
Alas Babylon
Lucifers Hammer
Swan Song is my all time favorite book....Mccamon has written two incredible books, the second being They Thirst. It is probably one of the best vampire books I have ever read...and hard as hell to find! Got my first edition hardback 😊

Lucifer's Hammer was one of the books that turned me onto PA and Armageddon type books. Niven & Pournelle's effort was phenomenal, and I have read several McCammon books. He's different from King and Koontz, and like his characters.

The pathfinders in this genre are well known, but most never got into the gore and prepper angle the current crop focus on.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I will second Alas Babylon

I dont read many books.. actually, I never read. But I was forced to read that in 7th grade and it was EXCELLENT.

They really need to make that into a movie.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Maybe not Post Apocalyptic , but any post here on ATS dealing with CERN and the wormholes it will open up through the dimensions to let the demon army into our universe ?
Seriously though , I can only speak of games. Fallouts , Wastelands , STALKER , etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I saw a lot of great books mentioned here. Swan Song, The Stand, several others-all great books. The Dark Tower books are a great post apocalyptic series. Yes, it's fantasy but there are also many things left over from when the world moved on (apocalypse). If you haven't read them, do so. The Postman by David Brin is also an awesome book. I loved it. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is also something that you would enjoy. It's much better than the crappy movie they made not long ago.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I saw a lot of great books mentioned here. Swan Song, The Stand, several others-all great books. The Dark Tower books are a great post apocalyptic series. Yes, it's fantasy but there are also many things left over from when the world moved on (apocalypse). If you haven't read them, do so. The Postman by David Brin is also an awesome book. I loved it. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is also something that you would enjoy. It's much better than the crappy movie they made not long ago.

I Am Legend is loaded and my next read. I'm not much into everyday Joes suddenly turning into Rambos, I enjoy a character evolving to crisis around him/her. What a person is made of and capable of highlighted in a complex story-line is what I enjoy.

Several of the authors listed above share a rare trait with S. King: the ability to juggle many characters, complex personalities especially, and the reader knowing each person in the story intimately. To me that is one of the hallmarks of a superb writer. Thanks for the input, always enjoy reading your take on topics!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Tomorrow, by John Marsden (seven books)
Benny Imura, by Jonathan Maberry (four books)
White Flag Of The Dead, by Joseph Talluto (six books)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
Tomorrow, by John Marsden (seven books)
Benny Imura, by Jonathan Maberry (four books)
White Flag Of The Dead, by Joseph Talluto (six books)

I've read and enjoyed the White Flag Series, but haven't gotten to Call To Arms(released on Kindle in June '15) yet. Any follow up books are based on the son's adventures, and the previous installments held a good story line. The Tomorrow series is on my to read list, and will get to it after I am Legend.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Good thread here...thanks OP

If you haven't read The Road yet, please do so.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'm very fond of elderly schlock:

You know............ the old b-grade campy stuff you get for free on Roku. Wonderful. Break out the popcorn. Dim the lights. Grab your partner when the music trills.

NEVERmind. I misread the OP. Nothing to see here. Move along.

edit on 7/9/15 by argentus because: added "campy"

edit on 7/9/15 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Have you read the NEW version? Stephen King said that when The Stand was published, he was compelled to edit several hundred pages. I've read both, and the original full version is so much more rich. Good stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Okay. back on track. I REALLY enjoyed 1/2986, by Annelie Wendeberg. First installment was free. Second and third installment were reasonably priced. Really good reads, imo.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
Good thread here...thanks OP

If you haven't read The Road yet, please do so.

I looked up The Road in Kindle but only found said title by author Patrena Miller and the description doesn't match. Could you list the author's name and approximate publishing date? I'm always on the lookout for a new read, and can't find the book you suggested.

top topics

join