It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher wakes up sleeping student with a fire extinguisher

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

lol, I used an air horn (not right near the student but close enough to startle the hell out of him). Students would ask me for the fog horn when they saw students sleeping in class. A fellow teacher used cymbals, lol.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
It doesn't say much about the quality of the teacher's presentation either. They are paid to present learning material to children, not administer corporal punishment.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

It doesn't say much about the quality of the teacher's presentation either. They are paid to present learning material to children, not administer corporal punishment.

Do me a favor. Before you attack teachers, spend a day in a classroom in an inner city high school. Teacher's could stand on their heads and give the most awesome presentations, but you will always have a few individuals in the class that just don't care about their education!! Education is a two way street. If you're not motivated to learn you won't learn a thing!!

I had many accolades for teaching and even had students learn their terminology using an electronic Jeopardy game. I spent money out of my own pocket to award kids with t-shirts and other prizes for coming in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. I even had kids who didn't even want to participate in playing the game!

All my students had desk top computers too! Heck, I was in advertising before becoming a teacher, so I was constantly trying new ways to motivate and gain a students attention! I even received a state's best practice award for my humorous PowerPoint presentations! Students today don't even like watching documentaries on a subject you're teaching! They would rather be texting friends discretely on their cell phones under their desks! I recall when I was in school we had to take notes from the time we walked into class until the end of class. The last thing I wanted to do when I started teaching was bore my students!

However having said that, education can't be entertaining 100 percent of the time. It's the nature of learning. I myself am constantly learning new things by reading and watching how to videos and documentaries. Have you ever attended college? Many college classes are strictly lectures!! So if high school kids think education is all about entertainment they're in for an eye-opening experience when they go onto college. Nothing like setting them up for failure.

If you call making a noise corporal punishment in order to wake a student up in class, you're way too young to know about paddling. Now that was corporal punishment. There's no pain in making a noise or startling a kid to wake up in class. All it does is embarrasses the kid from doing it again and gets a chuckle from the rest of the class. (Sometimes it still doesn't even register with the student).

Student's whine way too much, and complain when they're given a 3 page test. What? When I was in high school that was the norm! Now teachers are expected to keep tests down to one page and feed them information in bits and pieces. Talk about dumbing down America. I don't ever recall having less than a 3 page test when I was attending college!

The I don't care attitude is rampant in schools across this country. Students don't face consequences like their parents before them. Back in my day, we feared being paddled, feared going to the principals office and more than anything feared once our parents found out we would get it worst at home. Teaching is definitely not like it used to be. Half the class period is spent on addressing behavior problems and disruptions in the classroom.

So before you blame teachers for the poor behavior problems of students, spend a whole day in a classroom and watch the I don't care attitude of students today. There's a reason why some student teachers have changed their majors after their first time student teaching. Teaching is not an easy and cushy job most people think. I should know, I worked in the private sector for 12 years before going into teaching. I can tell you the grass certainly seemed greener before I entered the profession. I can tell you from personal experience, it's truly an eye opening, extremely stressful and startling experience.

I'm retired now, and I can easily say I certainly don't miss it.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join