It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush 'Undermining UN with Aid Coalition'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
United States President George Bush was tonight accused of trying to undermine the United Nations by setting up a rival coalition to coordinate relief following the Asian tsunami disaster.

The president has announced that the US, Japan, India and Australia would coordinate the world’s response.

But former International Development Secretary Clare Short said that role should be left to the UN.

“I think this initiative from America to set up four countries claiming to coordinate sounds like yet another attempt to undermine the UN when it is the best system we have got and the one that needs building up,” she said.

“Only really the UN can do that job,” she told BBC Radio Four’s PM programme."

news.scotsman.com...

This is yet another proof-positive that the UN needs to go. The money hungry, greedy, UN'ers only want control of the money flow so they can steal it like in OIL-FOR-FOOD. Recent data indicates the UN run UNICEF "take" 91% of donated funds to "staff" requirements. BUsh wants to make sure the money goes to the victims not the pockets of greedy beurocrats.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
If we waited for the UN to react, it would be too late. Kofi Annan has a history of being away from his desk when the world needs the UNs help:

U.N. chief Kofi Annan, perhaps smelling a potential embarrassment, decided to cut short his Christmas "holiday" and return to NYC to "coordinate" United Nations relief efforts in the tsunami ravaged Indian Ocean late Wednesday night.
Annan was in Jackson Hole, WY as the guest of World Bank president Jim Wolfensohn.

Over the last year, the secretary-general has made several notable gaffes on reacting to a major crisis.

In August 2003, Annan was on summer holiday in Scandinavia, visiting relatives of his wife Nane, when the U.N. Baghdad headquarters was attacked.

That attack left 22 dead including his Iraq special rep Segio Vieira de Mello. It took Annan two days to react and three to return to NYC.

Last Christmas, an earthquake killed more than 30,000 in Bam, Iran. The secretary-general, again on "holiday" in Sweden, reacted with a simple brief statement of condolence.

He never did travel to the earthquake scene, though it was one of the U.N.'s largest relief efforts.

www.newsmax.com...

The UN has good reason to be wary of this relief coalition. It exposes them for the ineffective, corrupt, useless waste of oxygen that they are.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I agree,

The UN needs absolutely NO assistance in undermining themselves.

Is that what you meant?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
W gets damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

Waiting for the UN to do something good is a waste of time.
And time is precious when dealing with the loss of human life.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I despise Bush as much as the next person...but gee, could it be the Oil for Food debacle perhaps, that might make one want to skirt the UN???

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think this is stupid , why is the US not organiseing it THROUGH the UN, its a big party with considerable say.
The only thing i see happening is that mr GWB is trying to undermine the UN and get more control of the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Might have something to do with finding hordes of UN supplies meant for the needy, stockpiled in Saddam's palaces perhaps?

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Might have something to do with finding hordes of UN supplies meant for the needy, stockpiled in Saddam's palaces perhaps?

How is that the UN's fault? It's not like they had military control of the country back then, so i would definatly blame Saddam for that one. Anyway the last thing they need is a US/UN power struggle when people just need help fast, not politics and power plays. The UN has done a lot of good work in the past and I'm very surprised Australia joined this coalition because the UN has been a major part of most of our relief operations in the past.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
How isn't it the UN's fault? The program that was under their jurisdiction miserably failed to do what it was supposed to and padded Saddam Husseins bank accounts by billions of dollars. When dealing with him their should have been some kind of oversight. Regardless of your views on the war, Saddam was a despicable person. The tax dollars of all of us went through our respective nations, then through the UN, then to Saddam (and I'm sure there are several bureaucrats throughout that chain.)

There are plenty of private think-tanks, rights groups, and charities that do much better work and have much more to lose by being corrupt or inefficient than the UN ever will. They just aren't the UN so you don't know about them.

The UN is nothing but an inept bureaucratic mess that should be nothing more on the world stage than a debating society.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
This is yet another proof-positive that the UN needs to go. The money hungry, greedy, UN'ers only want control of the money flow so they can steal it like in OIL-FOR-FOOD. Recent data indicates the UN run UNICEF "take" 91% of donated funds to "staff" requirements. BUsh wants to make sure the money goes to the victims not the pockets of greedy beurocrats.

Given the resent scandals involving the UN, I have to agree with you DR.

I think that was a very smart move by Bush. Lets make sure they ones that need the money actually get it.

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
BUsh wants to make sure the money goes to the victims not the pockets of greedy beurocrats.

I'd have to say that perhaps Bush wants his turn at the trouf. The UN needs a house cleaning, I know that, but you have to remember that with all the allegations surrounding the President, perhaps he is not the best person to handle the money.

DE

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I take it this "sadams palace" will be full of gold and jewels like sadams WMD plants where full of sarin and nuclear warheads. OOPPPS!

[edit on 1-1-2005 by devilwasp]

Also can i just say you cant just blame the UN, there are seperate people involved.

[edit on 1-1-2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is a job for... HALLIBURTON!

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
As if trusting Bush with money is a better option

posted on Jan, 1 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
I'd have to say that perhaps Bush wants his turn at the trouf. The UN needs a house cleaning, I know that, but you have to remember that with all the allegations surrounding the President, perhaps he is not the best person to handle the money.
DE

Are you suggesting that Bush wants a chance to pilfer funds from the relief donations? You must be joking. And what allegations are surrounding him?

No, it was just a wake-up call to the corrupt, ineffective UN whose leader took a three day skiing vacation and couldn't be bothered to come to NY to coordinate relief efforts.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Exscuse me you call the whole UN currupt yet only a few individuals done the deeds , if this is your generalisation then its fair to say the US army abused iraqi's in iraq.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Your analogy is not even close. The corruption in the UN starts with Kofi and his son Kojo, and Benon Sevan. From the top down.

As far as the Army abusing iraqis, if you're refering to Abu Ghraib
, those responsible have been brought to justice.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What a world we live in where after a tragedy the powers that be bicker over who should deal with the money aspect. You have to admit it's fecking sickening.

There should be no talk about it, just a stream of funds, not going through many sets of hands and middlemen but straight to the heart of the problem. Anyone who is trying to either make profit from the tragedy or gain some kind of political footing (which I suspect Bush is doing in trying to further reduce the UN's authority in general) from it is absurd and plain wrong. Evil.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The UN is totally useless. It would have fallen by the wayside years ago if it weren't for the US shoring it up with massive outpourings of money for international disaster relief.

I say good for the US, India, Japan and Australia!!!!
If some of the emerging countries want to channel their money without the UN, it will cut lots of the UN greedy red tape. I think it would be great if China, with its stronger economy, would join this coalition. Great Britian, too.

Let's face it, the US leads the world in quick and generous aid after natural disasters. Nothing to do with who is currently in the White House. We've been doing it successfully for years.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
All Bush appears to be doing is ensuring that the money actually gets to the victims of this tragedy.

Its the UN that has been whining about how much money the US is contributing, and now, the UN is whining because the US isn't letting them get their hands on that money. This isn't the time for this garbage. Its sickening, really, and just reinforces my not-so good impression of the UN.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join