It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth saver? Lasers manipulate spin of 'asteroid' in simulated experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I found this to be an interesting read, does this article acknowledge there is a rock with our name on it?, I would think so, it's nice to know that they are working on a counter measure though.

This is my first post people so if there are any mistakes I apologize, last thing I want to do Is post rubbish, cheers.

I am also having trouble embedding the video from my YouTube channel to here, so any help would be great.

Researchers have honed laser technology to be able to slow, stop, and reverse the rotation of an asteroid-like target in a simulated space environment. The findings could potentially help deflect Earth-bound asteroids in the event of a major-impact threat.

The DE-STAR (Directed Energy System for Targeting of Asteroids and exploRation) can, among other uses, stop the rotation of a spinning asteroid, according to small-scale, graphic demonstrations by the Experimental Cosmology Group, led by UC Santa Barbara physicist Philip Lubin and Gary B. Hughes, a researcher and professor at California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo.

In order to simulate the laser's deflection capabilities, researchers used basalt, which is composed of materials similar to those of an asteroid. The team directed a laser at the basalt until it began to turn from a mineral to a gas. As the "asteroid" lost mass, it became a propellant.

What happens is a process called sublimation or vaporization, which turns a solid or liquid into a gas,” said Travis Brashears, a student at the University of California-Berkeley involved in the research. “That gas causes a plume cloud — mass ejection — which generates an opposite and equal reaction or thrust — and that’s what we measure.”

Magnets were used to spin the basalt, simulating a rotating asteroid. The laser system was also used to slow the rotation of the target.

“Our video shows the basalt sample slowing down, stopping and changing direction and then spinning up again,” said Brashears. “That’s how much force we’re getting. It’s a nice way to show this process and to demonstrate that de-spinning an asteroid is actually possible as predicted in our papers.”

Lubin said DE-STAR could also be employed for space exploration or mining.

“All asteroids rotate; it’s just a question of relative to whom and how fast. To mine an asteroid, it needs to be moving slowly enough so you can capture it,” Lubin said. “Our lab experiments show very graphically a practical way to de-spin or redirect an asteroid. It’s a vivid demonstration that the technique works very well.”

NASA's Sentry system monitors potential asteroid collisions with Earth. The system analyzes potential impacts over the next 100 years, continually updating the Sentry Risk Table to provide accurate information on objects recently and not recently observed.

In May, NASA announced that it would launch an asteroid capture mission within the next decade. The plan will involve capturing and redirecting an asteroid into Earth's orbit where it can be examined by astronauts.

“If we can do that and we get it into stable lunar orbit, we will have done something that is dramatically informative to humanity and may lead to the development of sustainable technologies that will then be able to save the planet,” said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden at the time.

www.rt.com...

[yvid]

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

There was another thread about how the US might have a Secret Space Fleet. Wouldn't surprise me if the US military have this type of laser since they have technology that is way ahead of the public.
edit on 6-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Yeah I can agree, there were few videos on YouTube about some of the technology we are only just starting to use have been out for many many years, like touch screen, apparently all the touch screen scenes in Minority Report were done on real tech, and that film was released in 2003, but regarding this laser weapon, NASA and other agencies obviously know more than they are letting on, there is definitely something out there in that big space that is heading for us, I think we has humans like to believe planet earth will be around forever, but it won't, we wouldn't have this technology being considered if that were the case, thanks for the comment sir.

edit on 6-9-2015 by LeeAndrewCox because: spelling mistake

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LeeAndrewCox

I'll put this video for ATS members who haven't seen the thread

Interestingly the James Bond Movie the Moonraker predicted this Space Force back in 1979. I'm pretty sure this Space Force was first created in order counter the Soviets. Nowadays this Space Force would be used in order to Counter China. In fact this laser in the OP can be used as a weapon to counter China's military forces.
edit on 6-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Thats awesome! Now if we could only stop killing each other down here on the ground, THAT would be truly friggin awesome!

edit on 6-9-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: STOP KILLING EACH OTHER DUMBASSES!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
this seems vaguely familiar. like something i post every time the subject of protecting high velocity space craft from impact damage comes up. So now i am not the only one saying you can turn an impactors own mass into a maneuvering thruster by pitting it with a laser. Only this shows you do not have to even pit the asteroid to get it to work.
edit on 6-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

I don't think we will ever stop killing each other, it's like we are almost designed to kill things, scary indeed, I wouldn't say I hope for a rock to come, but I wouldn't be too bothered either

cheers for the feedback

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

You were right all along

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yah, what else could they use hi-power space based lasers for in between the rare asteroid impacts?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Sure beats sending a nuke up there and creating a million smaller problems. The smallest of nudges, eh?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I despair that nobody has yet tried diplomacy with the asteroids... surely they cannot be as xenophobic and hostile as humans?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeeAndrewCox
a reply to: stormbringer1701

You were right all along

incidently a laser can also ionize any neutral particles so they can be dealt with with magnetic or electrical fields. not that i expect many neutral particles in space in the first place. Cosmic rays are heavy nuclei minus thier electrons already.

new topics

top topics

join