It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Judge Refuses to Perform Same-Sex Marriages

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: muse7

originally posted by: yuppa

Off to jail he goes

You can't use Government to force people to practice your religion and to abide by your personal morals

IS it really him denying them their rights? They can go elsewhere to get married so its not really a violation of their rights unfortunatly.

Yes he is denying them their rights.

A judge can't pick and choose which laws he's going to uphold.

Actually, they can pick and chose. It's called setting a precedent. It's a way of getting rid of bad laws and making better laws. The LGBTQ crowd has the right to challenge laws just like the other 95% plus population. But personally I think people have had enough of this politically correct BS. The times, they are a'changing. All these lame laws and alleged hate crimes are producing a bunch of whiny self-entitled babies and criminals. People are not going to put up with it much longer. Oh, BTW, did you hear about the gay couple that molested 5 of their 8 adopted boys? Icwonder how many more cases there are like that? I was going to put up a link, but there were so many of them and different cases. Not saying all gays are like that, but you don't give an allegedly reformed alcoholic the keys to a hard liquor warehouse.

Cheers - Dave

Oh dear, I hope you realize you are trying to stereotype myself, my partner and our cat into that hateful little rant.

We are most definitely NOT all like 'that'. If I caught someone molesting kids, I'd cut off his short and curlies regardless of his sexual orientation.

I and the other gay couples I hang out with could hardly be less interested in sex these days. We're caught up in just living our lives with our normal normal boring partners.

Our relationships are no less valid than yours. It's time people like you accepted it and moved on to more important things.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

It doesn't but it obviously bothers you doesn't it? telling us all it isn't a real marriage.
Another who dodges questions....

Oh and FU my uncles adopted two kids who no one else would and they have grown up to be decent young people.
Maybe you should have been brought up with two gay dads and maybe you wouldn't have turned out like you did.
To equate gay folk to pedophiles is disgusting and ignorant.
edit on 6-9-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

It doesn't but it obviously bothers you doesn't it? telling us all it isn't a real marriage.

Oh and FU my uncles adopted two kids who no one else would and they have grown up to be decent young people.
Maybe you should have been brought up with two gay dads and maybe you wouldn't have turned out like you did.

Exactly.

Where does that idea even come from? I mean you don't see gay people equating straight people with beastiality because some farmer who is straight liked to get it on with sheep.
edit on 7-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

LGBT has a right to legally marry just as much as a straight couple.

I am in agreement with you - they are trying to shove their "beliefs" down the throats of those who believe something different.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness according to the Declaration of Independence.

Live and let live.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Common sense and logic. When did they become hateful? Quite honestly I was not attempting any stereotyping so my apologies if you see it that way. But I for one am weary of the constant whining about LGBTQ rights at the expense of everyone else's rights. We have a situation in Ontario Canada right now where our premier, a lesbian, got together with a paedophile, Benjamin Levin, and then wrote a sex education program for 6 to 12 year olds that included preteen consent, as well as lessons on anal and oral sex. Seems an exercise in grooming kids. Of course as society degrades, these kinds of aberrant situations will occur until we are all brought down to the lowest denominator, acting like animals.I would like to see society survive with some level of normalcy and certainly am equality of Rights for all, but when your rights remove my rights or anyone else's, I am quote sure a debate will ensue.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Exactly.

Where does that idea even come from? I mean you don't see gay people equating straight people with beastiality because some farmer who is straight liked to get it on with sheep.

The basis is that LGBT claim they are born that way so it necessarily must be alright. The response is pedophiles are born that way, so is that alright? It's less a rebuttal that makes LGBT wrong, and more one that shows that reasoning is flawed.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

What about the rights of Muslims? I don't think any muslims should have to issue licenses to women at the DMV, they don't want to anger Allah. Agree or disagree?

There is a reason government and religion was kept separate when the US was in its infancy.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Government has no right to determine what an individual wants to do, as long as it does not infringe on the rights of another.

This isn't rocket surgery.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

As I said, I am not equating any of the LGBTQ crowd with being peds, I simply mention that there are what appears to be a number of these cases, as shown in a simple google search. Marriage is between a man and a woman, get a new word, you still have all the same rights FFS's. What I think is going on is that by calling it marriage, that somehow legitimizes it. I see a civil union as more legitimate because it's honest.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Why can't they have a different judge perform the ceremony? Why do the rights of gays get to be more important than the rights of this man? Surely there are many people happy to marry these people? Why does someone have to suffer? This seems like religious hating vindictiveness to me.

It only sounds that way because that is exactly what it is.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Exactly.

The basis is that LGBT claim they are born that way so it necessarily must be alright. The response is pedophiles are born that way, so is that alright? It's less a rebuttal that makes LGBT wrong, and more one that shows that reasoning is flawed.

But the reasoning is not flawed. Being born LGBT is no different than being born of different ethnicities and it in no way is morally equivalent to sexually abusing a minor or animals.

LGBT people simply by existing aren't abusing someone or something which is defenseless.

So the comparison is ridiculous for that reason.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

As I said, I am not equating any of the LGBTQ crowd with being peds, I simply mention that there are what appears to be a number of these cases, as shown in a simple google search.

Try google searching for people who do it with animals and you'll find plenty of straight people. So yes you are equating through use of inference.

So I'll say…. "I' am not equating any of the straight and cisgender crowd with being into animals, I simply mention that there are what appears to be a number of these cases, as shown in a simple google search. "

As you can see, the two have nothing to do with each other.

It's like saying, "Google men and rape, I'm not saying all men are rapists or equating men with rape or saying all men will rape but there have been a number of cases."

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Metallicus

Why can't this guy just do his job and not push his beliefs on people?
When did his rights become more important then others?

Why are gay rights more important than religious rights? Bottom line is this is a contrived conflict that could be easily resolved by someone else performing the ceremony. No one has to lose unless the goal is to be vindictive. The only reason we have conflict here is because some a-holes want their pound of flesh.

Are the rights of this judge being violated?

As far as I know he can worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster as long as it doesn't interfere with his job.

The only rights being violated are those of gay people that want to marry and this judge is not allowing them to marry

Why can't the government do their job and start enforcing immigration laws? Why didn't you put Obama in jail when he refused to enforce DOMA? Why are you leftist commies in such a row over a county clerk asserting her 1st amendment rights?

But, more importantly, why did you compare your Same Sex Marriage movement to the Civil Rights Movement and MLK's fight to end segregation? Because you leftist commies wiretapped his phone and put him under surveillance, and used his sex life to drag him through the gutter to undermine the Civil Rights Movement. Just like you are using this county clerk's sex life to drag her through the gutter. You even threw MLK in jail when he asserted his religious convictions too ....

But .. since you are claiming that people should just obey the damn law like good little peasants, can you exp-lain to me in as much detail as possible how 5 unelected judges get to redefine marriage for the whole country without our consent?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeisterFahrer

Why are gay rights more important than religious rights? Bottom line is this is a contrived conflict that could be easily resolved by someone else performing the ceremony. No one has to lose unless the goal is to be vindictive. The only reason we have conflict here is because some a-holes want their pound of flesh.

As far as I know he can worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster as long as it doesn't interfere with his job.

The only rights being violated are those of gay people that want to marry and this judge is not allowing them to marry

Why can't the government do their job and start enforcing immigration laws? Why didn't you put Obama in jail when he refused to enforce DOMA? Why are you leftist commies in such a row over a county clerk asserting her 1st amendment rights?

But, more importantly, why did you compare your Same Sex Marriage movement to the Civil Rights Movement and MLK's fight to end segregation? Because you leftist commies wiretapped his phone and put him under surveillance, and used his sex life to drag him through the gutter to undermine the Civil Rights Movement. Just like you are using this county clerk's sex life to drag her through the gutter. You even threw MLK in jail when he asserted his religious convictions too ....

But .. since you are claiming that people should just obey the damn law like good little peasants, can you exp-lain to me in as much detail as possible how 5 unelected judges get to redefine marriage for the whole country without our consent?

Leftist? Commie?

DId I somehow enter an alternate universe where the Internet was invented the 1920s and we're currently in 1965 or something?

Did Stalinist Russia have marriages between gay people? Does capitalist/oligarch Russia have it now?

Do you even know what communism is/was?

BTW: We don't elect Supreme Court justices. We have three branches of government and a separation of powers under the Constitution. This was done to protect everyone's rights under the Constitution. You might want to learn a bit about all that stuff.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

False. Either being born a certain way ALWAYS makes it ok, or it does not. The argument I was born this way so it MUST be alright and accepted does not hold water.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I wish we did elect our supreme court and had them serve 4 yr terms. lol.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Leftist? Commie?

DId I somehow enter an alternate universe where the Internet was invented the 1920s and we're currently in 1955 or something?

Did Stalinist Russia have marriages between gay people? Does capitalist/oligarch Russia have it now?

BTW: We don't elect Supreme Court justices. We have three branches of government and a separation of powers under the Constitution. This was done to protect everyone's rights under the Constitution. You might want to learn a bit about all that stuff.

Please, refrain from answering a question with a question.

Why isn't Obama in jail for refusing to enforce DOMA?

Let me ask that a little bit more clearly .... DOMA had overwhelming support - it was an Act passed by Congress (which means it was done the correct way). It was not written into law by unelected officials that are strictly forbidden from writing new laws.

yes, I know what communism is - thanks for asking. You should do some reading on the Stasi and how they put everyone under surveillance - Just like the NSA>

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

False. Either being born a certain way ALWAYS makes it ok, or it does not. The argument I was born this way so it MUST be alright and accepted does not hold water.

Some people are born with a pre-disposition to commit a crime. That does not make their crime acceptable if they commit one.

Some people are born with a pre-disposition to have green eyes. That does not make green eyed people unacceptable.

So you're wrong. It's flawed logic. Occam would not be proud.

The only reason to not accept LGBT people is because of the traditional reasons used not to accept any people who are different for some reason but bothering no one: hate, bigotry, ignorance, intolerance, dogma.

It really is that simple.

You're equating people who you do not like because of who they are, with a disgusting crime, pure and simple.

As someone whose mother is black that offends me because it is all too familiar from our not too distant history in this country. It's a familiar tactic. And the last bastion of bigotry.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Leftist? Commie?

DId I somehow enter an alternate universe where the Internet was invented the 1920s and we're currently in 1955 or something?

Please, refrain from answering a question with a question.

Why isn't Obama in jail for refusing to enforce DOMA?

Duh, because DOMA was ruled unconstitutional. Again, please look up the separation of powers. I'm only 20 years old and I understand them and you strike me as someone a lot older.

As for NSA spying on citizens for no reason, we're on the same side on that issue. I disagree with that. "Onward Cascadia".

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

I wish we did elect our supreme court and had them serve 4 yr terms. lol.

I beg to differ. The last thing we'd need are big national elections for judges. To me the supreme court is too politicized as it is. That would only make it worse.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join