It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are you mad about these things! This makes no sense!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I work in sales. Recently I received a call from a person who had purchased a large lot of ovens at an auction. For some reason none of the ovens had power cords. This was the conversation that ensued:

Ahh, well there was some confusion there on my part, but it did seem from the opening that you work in sales and had a call from the guy who had purchased ovens in an auction. I thought you were the auction people, if you had of written;
"I work in sales. Recently I received a call from a person who had purchased a large lot of ovens at an auction not affiliated with my company." It would have been a little clearer to understand.

Regardless, you could still try and see what you could do for the customer, just out of good will. Trust me it gets a good word of mouth out there and repeat business down the road. Now I'm a little clearer on the situation my anger has subdued a little, I suppose you are not quite the crappy company as I initially thought but I still see an opportunity to help the guy!

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
What kind of oven requires a proprietary power cord?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

If there is no part to be had, we can't source the part unfortunately. The ovens he purchased are over 25 years old. We just aren't the company that can help him.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Qumulys

The thing is, you can't "track them down". They don't exist anymore. As a business, I can't provide this service.

They aren't manufactured anymore. That doesn't mean they don't exist. There is a whole market in discontinued electrical and electronic parts.

Further, a power cord is a remarkably easy thing to fabricate.

There are many potential solutions to his problem. And, as a parts supplier, I find it hard to believe you never offer such advice.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

That is kind of crazy that he expected you to give him a refund for a purchase that he didn't even make with you. I would have told him that we would be happy to refund him $5000, after he gives us $5000 first.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

i deal with this exact thing all day everyday...i also take calls....for a telecom company and the **** these idiots say and do mostly just makes me laugh. no sir. i can't adjust the tax on your bill. maybe you should talk to your state government....oh okay i'm a stupid ***** and you want my supervisor...ok..one moment. the other day i had a guy that just knew i had seen the certified letter his attorney sent our legal department.....it's like no dude...i just answer the phone. LOL!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: TinySickTears

i think all stoves in the states have had a separate cord for many years. some safety issue i think.
i bought a new stove last year and had to buy the cord separate. it was like 20 bucks. the sales guy said it has been that way for some time.

You need to say more there, any oven over a certain power, needs to be in a dedicated oven socket, ie; a marked and fused cooker socket, it has much heavier cabling to do the job, and that's what I would call a separate cord. The appliance itself should have comparable cabling. I don't see why there should be a plug housing on a heavy appliance, plus another plug into the wall, if that's what you mean by a separate cord.

i was wrong. damn. that has not happened since 78.
since i was super annoyed i had to go look. the separate cord was for my dryer. i bought all new appliances a few months back.
thought it was the stove. dryer had a separate cord. some big ass heavy duty thing. not like a regular plug

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Uuuuuuummmmm, because many of us are tired of being screwed at every bend and curve? You think? If it's not a politician doing it, it's some company. Many of us have had enough. Sorry if you haven't. Shrug.
edit on 7-9-2015 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
My 10 year old son saved up some money and bought an X-Box 360 from Amazon, after pricing them at stores and deciding that he didn't want to pay the price they wanted for them there.
He was disappointed when it arrived with no power cord, no controller or hdmi cord.
I explained to him that he bought the console and that nothing else was promised.
We ordered cords and controller yesterday.
He didn't bitch about it.
edit on b000000302015-09-07T07:35:41-05:0007America/ChicagoMon, 07 Sep 2015 07:35:41 -0500700000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

You need to say more there, any oven over a certain power, needs to be in a dedicated oven socket, ie; a marked and fused cooker socket, it has much heavier cabling to do the job, and that's what I would call a separate cord. The appliance itself should have comparable cabling. I don't see why there should be a plug housing on a heavy appliance, plus another plug into the wall, if that's what you mean by a separate cord.

Maybe it is not enough coffee but I am not getting at what you are saying . If you are saying you must have the compatible/complaint standard wiring for heavy duty appliances (eg: stoves/ovens , dryers , hot water heaters etc; etc) then I agree . But with an oven/range or a clothes dryer , you can either hard wire them directly to a 240/220 breaker OR purchase the proper power supply cord and plug them into a 240/220 outlet on their own independent 240/220 breaker . So , what the other poster means is a power supply cord from the stove to the 240/220 outlet (if not hard wired directly to the breaker box) . Every stove/oven ( and dryer) I have ever purchased , comes without a power supply cord . So there are two options , wire it directly to the box or purchase a power supply cord to use in conjunction with the proper outlet . So there has always been an extra $20 or more purchase for said power supply cord .

Not all outlets are universal . There are old three prong outlets , four prong outlets , straight prong outlets , outlets that have right angel prongs etc;etc; there are different lengths also . I have moved into a new home (or helped someone move) where my (or a friends) old power cord would not fit in the outlet provided in the new home , so off to the hardware store for a new power cord for my (or friends) oven/stove . The towboats I worked on we hardwired ovens and dryers directly to the breaker box for safety reasons , but all of the appliances came WITHOUT power supply cords .

A few posts above mine here a poster asked , "What stove/oven has proprietary power supply cords ?" I have to ask the same question as I have never seen one .

So on to the OP , if I purchased used ovens from an auction or used in general I would not be using the old power supply cords anyway and purchasing new ones . Oven/stoves/dryers/electric furnaces are the biggest power drains on a home . They draw a lot of juice and old , cracked or just improper wiring could be very dangerous . And even if the purchaser of said stoves purchased these stoves with the power cords attached , there is still no guarantee that they would have worked in the building they intended to use them . They may have had to still go out and purchase new cords .
edit on 7-9-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: grammar

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

here is how the conversation would have went if I were the customer....

Me: Hi, I was recently in an auction and I bought 7 (type) ovens. I know you either sell or used to sell them. Do you still sell the cord as single items? I noticed the ovens I purchased didn't have any

You: (type type type) No sir I am sorry but we haven't sold those cords in about two years. They have been discontinued

Me: damn. I know this isn't your job but you wouldn't happen to know what companies would still service or sell this cord would you?

You: (type type type) No sir I am sorry but I can't tell who would be able to service or sell those cords

Me: Ah...oh well. I'd like to thank you for your time

that about right yes?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

You are perfect.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Dumbass is as dumbass does, OP. You can comfort yourself in the knowledge than only a moron tries to legally punish someone else for their eff ups. Betcha he checks out things more thoroughly before he buys at an auction next time.

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i think all stoves in the states have had a separate cord for many years. some safety issue i think.
i bought a new stove last year and had to buy the cord separate. it was like 20 bucks. the sales guy said it has been that way for some time.

WHAT?! Rotfl, he saw a sucker coming. Dude, you can buy the the plug, and a length of electrical cord off the cord roll at Home Depot & make your own for less than half that. We replaced a dishwasher, and it came without the cord for some reason. Instead of calling the company & having them send it (and thus waiting) we made our own with simple parts & materials from the hardware store & had it up & running by the end of the day. Cost us all of $6.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I hear exactly what you are talking about - I used to do customer service for a while, and every now and then, you'd get that one guy that doesn't accept no for an answer. In one case, one of the clients boldly asked if they could have the source code to one of out products (all in the name of science, of course). Had to remind him a couple times that doing so would be a breach of contract, and it would lead to not only himself but myself as well being fired.

I do have a compare story. Seeing as someone brought up an XBox 360, I won a set of them in auction, and discovered that they didn't have any power cords. So, off to Microsoft I went, only to discover that even Microsoft stopped making the 360's power bricks. Now, I could have sued...but instead, I checked out Gamestop, which had the right brick for my 360. I think the customer could have done something similar, and shouldn't have served your company.

-foss

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Have to say, I initially thought the implication was that he had brought them from your auction house, your gripe being that he's doing the equivalent of shouting at the waitress for a meal burnt by the chef. Not sure if it's your articulation, or our very own Berenstein/stain thing.

But to try to demand a refund from a place other than one he paid the monies to suggests it's probably safer if he doesn't source those cords! Ever!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join