It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The star pupil who scored zero in all her exams

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: crazyewok

I am sorry, I did not realize it not happening in the US precluded me from being upset.

No its a intresting topic.

I just dont see the relevance to compareing it to gay wedding cakes ect

Probably because in the grand scheme of things whether or not you can force one specific person to bake your cake is a little less of an impact on your overall life and future than whether or not the testing and scoring process on a major exam used by colleges everywhere to help determine whether or not you can even set foot in the door is corrupted to the point where someone can see that you are a women and automatically assign you a failing grade.

True.

But end of the day its two separate country's. Comparing domestic issues is like comparing apples to oranges.
We have different Issues. Hell the difference between social issues between the UK and US vary enough and that two secular first world country's with similar cultures. The USA and Egypt are naturally going to have a HUGE gulf.

It honestly came to me as no shock Egypt was that corrupt. As horrendous as the situation is I doubt this is even the worse that Egypt has to offer and its part and parcel of being a 3rd world country.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator
I don't think you understood me well. Even before passing the final exam, I had 58% accumulated on 60% possible since the final exam was worth 40% and the teacher gave me 58% which equals as if I got zero on my final exam. It kind of doesn't make sense for a student that has had 96%+ accumulated till now to get 0% at the final exam now does it?

That's not how grades are given, your percentage is out of the total available up to that point, so you had 58% going into the final. Lets put this in point form. Up the the final you have a 58% that's 580 points out of 1000. But the final is worth 40% of the total, so 1667 points total. That means the final is worth 667 so combined with your 580, acing your final would bring you to 1247 points or 74%. The cutoff for a D- would be at 1000 points, so you would need to score a 420/667 points or a 63% on your final to pass.

I like being on equal grounds with everyone as I feel that we all deserve the same respect and I really dislike when people try to step on anyone. I don't get pushed around no matter the authority and that's why I failed when academic notes weren't based on tangible results any longer.

I find this hard to believe. I've spent a long time in college and I've made a habit out of challenging my teachers, in fact I ask them tricky questions just because I like to hear them say "I don't know", I manage to do that a lot. I've never been punished for doing so, instead it has made them take greater interest in me. The bottom line though, is that they probably know more than you when it comes to the subject they're teaching, so prepare to be wrong in your assumptions a lot.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
double post
edit on 7-9-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
That's not how grades are given, your percentage is out of the total available up to that point, so you had 58% going into the final. Lets put this in point form. Up the the final you have a 58% that's 580 points out of 1000. But the final is worth 40% of the total, so 1667 points total. That means the final is worth 667 so combined with your 580, acing your final would bring you to 1247 points or 74%. The cutoff for a D- would be at 1000 points, so you would need to score a 420/667 points or a 63% on your final to pass.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?!
I didn't have 58% on 100% before the final exam.
I had 58/60 of the total points possible before the last exam that was worth 40 points on 100.
58 on 60 = 96.6666%
That's how it works in Canada, stop thinking in terms of 1667 points, it's based on 100%

I find this hard to believe. I've spent a long time in college and I've made a habit out of challenging my teachers, in fact I ask them tricky questions just because I like to hear them say "I don't know", I manage to do that a lot.

Most of the teachers I've had would of died before admitting they didn't know.
edit on 7-9-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?!

I think this explains your grade perfectly well.

Then you probably weren't asking the right questions.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I had professors actually change their curriculum after I told them they were wrong. I actually only had one I had a negative experience after challenging, and that was her giving me a 98% a test because I gave the correct answer knowing full well the answer she was looking for was wrong, she gave me half credit. We had a discussion after where she said the most ridiculous stuff you could imagine and wouldn't budge.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's an Islamic thing.
They can't have females advancing.
She probably qualifies for a free government crotch mutilation some sick old religious judge will sentence her to for challenging the authorities about her scores.
She should get out of that area at any cost.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Oddly enough education would be her ticket out ....

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

a reply to: EvillerBob

I don't think you understood me well. Even before passing the final exam, I had 58% accumulated on 60% possible since the final exam was worth 40% and the teacher gave me 58% which equals as if I got zero on my final exam. It kind of doesn't make sense for a student that has had 96%+ accumulated till now to get 0% at the final exam now does it?

That makes far more sense.

So what was the outcome of the appeal? Assuming you needed to lodge one, of course. For our institution, if any student was scored within a certain percentage of the highest or lowest mark possible, their work was automatically reviewed by a second marker.

posted on Sep, 13 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

That's not how grades are given, your percentage is out of the total available up to that point, so you had 58% going into the final.

I've seen scoring quoted in that way before. If it's anything like the institutions on this side of the pond, there is (or was, I've been out of it for a while) some variation in the way different places track and present grading.

posted on Sep, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
So what was the outcome of the appeal? Assuming you needed to lodge one, of course. For our institution, if any student was scored within a certain percentage of the highest or lowest mark possible, their work was automatically reviewed by a second marker.

Since it was an obligatory course, they kicked me out for a year. When I came back, I wasn't accepted in the studies I wanted because of that. I asked back then to re-check my grades but they told it wasn't possible.

2 years after, I actually came back for a useless diploma but I had no choice to prove myself. I had to, of course, redo the same course. That time, my teacher just wasn't good at all...as time went by, students that needed help came more and more to me for questions. I never minded, I had plenty time to do my work.

One day, there we're students waiting in line to see me while no one was waiting on the teacher for help. She was furious towards me and started almost yelling at me for helping them. The young and arrogant me eventually replied : "Well if you we're actually a good teacher, these things wouldn't happen, they just want to understand!" Everyone in class, except one person was actually smiling at the situation, then she told me : "Mark my words! I'm going to make you fail!"

I then went with 3 other students in the principal's office to explain what happened and I asked but one thing...if ever I failed the course, I wanted for someone to re-check my work. The secretary said it was ok...

The day I received my grades, I had been given 20% for that course and when I asked for someone to check my work and see that I was good enough, hell, I couldn't of been that bad if students came to me for explanations. Well, nothing happened, I was kicked out of school and was homeless for a couple months...I had to lie when I was looking for a job and did my best for them to not notice I was homeless. I gathered money, payed my first rent and made it through but it was one hell of a ride.
edit on 14-9-2015 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join