It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The star pupil who scored zero in all her exams

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Her expectations were high - and rightfully so. Mariam Malak had achieved nearly perfect marks in previous years, results which made her one of Egypt's top performing high school students. When final exam marks were announced, she eagerly scanned the list top scores, but to her surprise, her name was not on it. Still, she was still confident she'd done enough to get into a medical school - until she saw her results, and fainted.
"I was completely shocked," Malak told BBC Trending. "I couldn't hear anyone, I couldn't speak. I thought how can that happen? How can I get zero?"

The star pupil who scored zero in all her exams

These are the sorts of social injustices that get my blood boiling. Here we are consumed by whether or not someone will bake a cake as a child's entire future is torn away.

Imagine being #1 in your class, straight A's, got a perfect score on all your SAT preparation tests and then you get your SAT score back and see you scored a 0. All your hopes and dreams stolen in an instant by a corrupt system, and that same corrupt system is the one in charge of reviewing your case.

I weep for humanity.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I read about this earlier - it seems she isn't the only one either.

Hopefully, she will get it sorted out eventually. The Egyptian PM has promised personally to investigate and when it get's that high up, no matter how corrupt a place might be, it tends to get sorted out.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

He said he would look into it .. but that could be a brush off.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I hope it isn't - it does tend to follow that once you catch the higher ups attention by whatever means, something will be done if merely for a PR exercise than any actual righting of a wrong. Given the support she has on social media, it would be in their interests to be seen to do something.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   

A "handwriting analysis" was done by officials once already and determined it was hers .. despite it looking nothing like hers.

If they admit she is a victim, it opens a floodgate of other victims.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I'm never moving a step away from this Country, I have decided.

I may not feel like this is my home any more, no where is, I consider myself a global itinerant. But I do know this: the arrogant and immoral laws here are far more appealing than ANYWHERE else on this god forsaken hell of a planet.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Seeing as this happened in Egypt not the USA, i fail to see how US domestic issues are relevant to eyption domestic issues.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

There are a few promising places in Europe. A few.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I am sorry, I did not realize it not happening in the US precluded me from being upset.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
I'm never moving a step away from this Country, I have decided.

I may not feel like this is my home any more, no where is, I consider myself a global itinerant. But I do know this: the arrogant and immoral laws here are far more appealing than ANYWHERE else on this god forsaken hell of a planet.

You do know there is more to the world than the USA and eqypt?

New Zealand
Norway
Australia
Sweden

For starters all are less corrupt, provide more freedom and have higher standards of living to the USA.

Still the US is better than 90% of the rest of the world. But dont kid yourself.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I am sorry, I did not realize it not happening in the US precluded me from being upset.

No its a intresting topic.

I just dont see the relevance to compareing it to gay wedding cakes ect

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

So we shouldn't worry about gay rights because Egypt is corrupt?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
The Ministry of Education needs to release the papers in question for independent review. You'd think, amid cries of corruption, they'd be keen to do this to put the matter to rest on all sides. They've said the handwriting is a match, so what's the problem? They've nothing to worry about, do they? If they're not willing to resolve the issue, they need a clear out and should be proof of corruption. They should review all high scoring papers and find out whose papers do not belong. I do not believe there isn't a trail to follow.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
And yet here you people are derailing the thread, making my point for me. Try to stay on topic, this will be my last reply to you off topic.

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: muse7

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   

A "handwriting analysis" was done by officials once already and determined it was hers .. despite it looking nothing like hers.

Quite, but it has been largely derided as nonsense that "analysis".

As for the floodgates, maybe this could be seen as an opportunity to reform Education in Egypt, making sure that they are giving everyone a good education which in turn will benefit the nation.

While some see a crisis as a "problem", the more forward thinking people would see this as a chance to improve and gain from it.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SlowNail

It's clearly something that is not uncommon there. Who knows how far it goes and who is involved. What do you do with people this has happened to over the years and their lives are now ruined?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

And yet here you people are derailing the thread, making my point for me. Try to stay on topic, this will be my last reply to you off topic.

How is it derailing your thread when you put it in your op in the first bloody place!

If you put it in the op then its fair game!

Dont mention something then bitch and moan when someone calls you on it later on!

edit on 6-9-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Quite, but it has been largely derided as nonsense that "analysis".

As for the floodgates, maybe this could be seen as an opportunity to reform Education in Egypt, making sure that they are giving everyone a good education which in turn will benefit the nation.

While some see a crisis as a "problem", the more forward thinking people would see this as a chance to improve and gain from it.

What happens if they admit this happened and people demand those responsible pay? How high up does it go? If they are high ranking officials they may not be so keen to take that opportunity.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Well I mean...you kinda did include this snippet in your OP

Here we are consumed by whether or not someone will bake a cake as a child's entire future is torn away.

Why do you think it's off topic?

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join