It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else here have a spinal fusion on C5/C6?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB
Pain clinic is right everytime I left the place I was in agony, I get my liver and kidneys checked yearly in the diabetic clinic but here is the thing, they are amazed that I have better kidney and liver reading than a non diabetic.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

saw a neuro surgeon about 2 years ago he says carnal something, but i dont think thier is a name for my back as all the disks are disintergrating now and because its all mangled in side, if I lie one way my leg traps another way my shoulder another way my back, and every so often they all are trapped at the same time now that is bad as it gets with me, but despite all that I'm still a handsome fker lol.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

Sounds like a true case of major "suckage". But, at least you got your looks!

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

once thing I forgot to mention is even though I have pain relieve is not enough I have a hot water bottle on my legs of belly or back 24/7 365 days a year, my legs go like blocks of ice and that cold causes as much pain as the nerve damage, I cant wear underwear as the elastic on it can put my back out, I have not wore socks for 8 years, I have a fleece as a bed cover even a light contenetial quilt causes pain, even the weight of my shirt causes pain sometimes but the worst pain that i have not had for a few months, its like someone walks up behind you and sticks an ice pick in you back with an almighty blow that's the only way i can describe it.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa Thats why God works in Mysterious ways, he makes me this good looking then does all that I don't understand it, I heard we are all made in Gods Image and when he made me he said " Wow do I really look that good "

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

But any male out there that wants to stop back pain one thing that works and I don't know how this works, COD on a PS4, I think its because men can only think of one thing at a time and if you are playing that you cant think of the pain, It seems to work for me sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavmas

once thing I forgot to mention is even though I have pain relieve is not enough I have a hot water bottle on my legs of belly or back 24/7 365 days a year, my legs go like blocks of ice and that cold causes as much pain as the nerve damage, I cant wear underwear as the elastic on it can put my back out, I have not wore socks for 8 years, I have a fleece as a bed cover even a light contenetial quilt causes pain, even the weight of my shirt causes pain sometimes but the worst pain that i have not had for a few months, its like someone walks up behind you and sticks an ice pick in you back with an almighty blow that's the only way i can describe it.

sounds exactly like crps.
you should do some reading
i would not just think that if it is crps the doc will let you know.
docs do not know all things.
i have been through several doctors and exams and some have not even heard of it

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
My father had his lower back fused about 42 years ago and now he is suffering from I can't remember the name but his spine is growing inwards and pressing on the spinal cord. Apparently it's a hereditary thing coming from Scandinavian genes. I hope I don't get it or my kids. Good luck to you and all others in pain.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
If so, have you had the pain for that (left arm) disappear, only to experience the same pain almost a year later in the right arm (indicating something might be wrong in C6/C7 now? I ma dealing with this nerve pain, AGAIN, and I do not want to go on that med-ride all over AGAIN. I am now up to almost 1800mg/day of Ibuprofen just to make it bearable. I'm going to call the neurosurgeon after this Labor Day holiday is over. But until then, all I have is Ibuprofen and a portable TENS unit (e-stim for my neck).

I was just looking for someone else that might have experienced the same, and has some advice for a fellow sufferer. I am NOT looking forward to another spinal surgery. If I have to do that again, I might lose my job over it (almost did on the last one).

Thanks in advance ATS.

Check your email... errr the lit up white envelope.

I'm the not so proud honor of 7 lower back ( fused from L-3 to S-2 ) and 1 major neck surgery. Oxycontin made me VERY sick.. and I'm a FF/MEDIC/RN/PHRN... Yep 20 years and some school.. I can help your body. Just don't ask about computers!

Starters.. be honest with the doctor .
Best advice! Most DR's have not experienced the pain and surgeries. But I have. And as I see. Members have too.. patients are the best experience you can get.

Basic everyday movements are what got me through this. Even though I'm fused. I manage to stand and bend over to kiss my knee's. REFLEXOLOGY... do your thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavmas
Pain clinic is right everytime I left the place I was in agony, I get my liver and kidneys checked yearly in the diabetic clinic but here is the thing, they are amazed that I have better kidney and liver reading than a non diabetic.

Mmmm.. suckage yes. I ended up with one less gallbladder and medulary sponge kidneys. Oxicontin X's 2 years is euphoric and damaging. That was 2005.. Now I'm happy to feel some pain. I know I'm alive.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

I had a spinal fusion done in 1983 due to a horrible car accident. Thoracic though. The doctors don't tell you about the problems that develop from the stress put on the vertebrae that AREN'T fused - in my case on either side. On the plus side, I am alive, walking, and living. On the con side I am in immense pain all of the time, the rest of my spine is curving inward and sideways (my ribs overlap my hip bone on one side now), and am fully disabled. I know why they did it, but I wish I had known the risks. Now I'm just waiting on someone to invent the artificial spine.

posted on Sep, 6 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Although I do not have a fusion between C-6 and C-7 I do have 2 between C-4 to C-5 and C-5 to C-6. I underwent the first, C-4/5 in the mid 90's and the 2nd fusion in the mid 20's. Don't let any doctor tell you there is a 100% successful spinal surgery. It isn't going to happen. While undergoing radiology diagnostics in preparation for the 2nd surgery, one nurse told me it is common to herniate a second disk either above or below the original surgery and that is exactly what caused my 2nd.

After several years I started experiencing severe pain throughout the entire length of the left side of my neck and into the left shoulder. I spent thousands of $'s with MRI's X-rays and doctors visits but no one would tell me the truth that there was nothing to be done to remedy the situation at this point. I digress to describe what the neurosurgeon told me after waking from the 2nd fusion. His original plan was to remove the original titanium plate from the first fusion and simply move it down and reinstall it but he said, when he got into the area he found so much scar tissue around the first plate that he determined that it would cause more damage by removing it so he left it and installed the 2nd plate.

Well, to try making this shorter than it would otherwise be if I tried explaining the last 10 years of pain, I will just say that I realized more relief, but not total, after I ordered a vibrating massage than any help I got from the medical "professionals"??? Put simply, the muscle in my neck was under extreme strain and the vibrator does help immensely. Although I'm sure there are a multitude of options out there, I bought a "Thumper Sport" to relax the muscle. I began using it long and hard in the beginning but the neck pain is to the point now of being manageable at this stage.

www.amazon.com...

To this day, I still curse the surgeon that performed the first cervical fusion on me. Turns out that it was probably unnecessary but the piece of SHIST surgeon saw $$$$ signs.

edit on 6-9-2015 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

For financial reasons and against my better judgement I started using the VA for my medical needs over the past 3 years. While pursuing help with my cervical pain, their physical therapist showed me techniques to stretch the neck muscles by reaching over the top of my head and gently pulling my head over to the right side to stretch my left neck muscles. After trying this technique for several weeks I found that this had virtually no effect in relieving pain. At that point I decided to try something different by propping my elbow on the chair arm to elevate the shoulder and tilting my head to the left in the direction of the effected muscles thereby compressing the muscles on the left side. I also started rotating my head back and fourth to apply compression to the entire area. To my surprise it actually helps, quite a lot. Give it a try. I mentioned that I bought a percussive massage called "Thumper Sport". It does help.

These providers want you to believe they have all of the correct answers but surprise, surprise, they don't.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Artificial Disc Replacement Spine Surgery
Artificial disc replacement is a type of spinal surgical procedure that replaces damaged or degenerating vertebral discs in the spine. In most situations, artificial disc replacement, also known as ADR, is performed on the lower or lumbar region of the back. Artificial disc replacement is often suggested after other nonsurgical methods such as medication, physical therapy, and exercise have failed to produce desired results.

Artificial disc replacement is the process through which an artificial structure replaces the defective or damaged disk in the spinal column, providing support, cushioning and improvement in mobility for spinal surgery patients.
This VIDEO will provede more information.

posted on Jan, 22 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
There are two main techniques to the Spinal Fusion Procedure : Bone grafting and Immobilization. Bone grafting is the most common, since it naturally aids fusion of the vertebrae as bone cells are absorbed into the vertebrae. To fuse vertebrae together, surgeons will either use the patient’s own bone fragments or those from a donor. If the patient is able to use their own bone, the technique requires additional surgery so that bone fragments may be taken from the hip to use in the spinal fusion procedure. Using bone from a donor is much more efficient, since there are many available pieces within bone banks.

The other technique is immobilization, where the bones in the vertebrae are held together with the help of metal screws and rods after a spinal fusion has taken place. In addition, a patient might be ordered to wear a type of brace or cast to help promote healing the healing process.

Any procedures done to reduce pain and improve mobility in patients are a benefit. Undergoing a spinal fusion might decrease pain in the back and legs, as well as reduce spine curvatures like scoliosis. Spinal fusion procedures are often recommended to those who suffer from severe back pain due to slippage of bones, causing misalignment. Other ailments a spine fusion might help improve are recurrent disc herniation, traumatic injury to the spine and fractures.
Cost of Spinal Fusion Surgery
With the cost of hospital stay, medications, surgery fees and anesthesia the spinal fusion procedure is quite pricey. In the United States, prices range anywhere from $50,000- $100,000, while in India costs range from $8,400 - $10,250. In Malaysia, costs are anywhere from $6,700 - $8,250. In many cases, some portions of the cost of spinal fusion treatments may be covered by medical insurance, though it's wise to always ask your healthcare provider exactly which services will be covered.

Choosing a Surgeon for the Procedure
When deciding on an orthopedic surgeon for the spinal fusion procedure, it is important to find an experienced and qualified professional who has experience with different techniques for spinal fusion procedures. Be sure to check the facilities before settling on a surgeon, and make sure that they are accredited, and that surgeons and their staff are trained, experienced and certified in their field.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I've got left-sided foraminal stenosis and nerve root impingement at C5/C6 and C7. Plus 'significant degeneration'...whatever that means.

I was just concerned about how much Brufen you're on: you must realise that you are dicing with thrombosis if you are on more than 1200mg/day?

Are you taking an anticoagulant?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join