It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking this photo and effectively throwing a "curve-ball" at the Globe Earth myth.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

The point is, is that if you rise on the vertical from a sphere, the horizon will drop away from you, you will have to look down to see the horizon.
Yes. That's true. And the Earth is a very large sphere so you have to get very high above it to notice a change. That's the "for all intents and purposes" part.

Here's a guy who does the math so you don't have to. Not that the math is very hard. You might be able to follow it.

The construction and calculations below show that if the altitude is very small compared to Earth's radius, the line of sight as measured from local vertical is very near 90 degrees. The Earth's radius is about 6371 km. For the line of sight to fall 1 degree you would have to elevate your point of view by about 370000 km!

physics.stackexchange.com...

Correction, that guy was corrected:

This graph demonstrates why this correction is so important for sextant observations: the initial slope is very steep, and at sea an error of one degree leads to a position error of 60 nautical miles... By comparison, your body's ability to tell "level" from "not quite level" is probably a couple of degrees - so you really need the altitude of a plane (or a high mountain next to the sea) to convince your brain that the horizon you are seeing is not "level". According to my graph, 1 degree happens at about 1000 meters, and 2 degrees at 4000 meters. That seems consistent with your own observations.

The horizon does drop, but not so you're going to notice. With a transit you could measure it though.

edit on 9/5/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
NASA has lied enough time that i will never be convinced that
a) Man has ever went into space.
b) The earth is a globe, spinning 1000 MPH at the equator, while hurling around the sun.
c) that NASA is a reliable source of information.

I choose to trust my senses, and not rely on what others that so obviously have an agenda try to tell me. To me, NASA stands for Nazis Are Still Active.

Joseph Goebbels is quoted to have said

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
For those that don't know, Goebbels was the Minister of Propaganda for the NAZI party, whose majority of scientists (over 1000) have been recruited by the US government to infiltrate the universities and aeronautics divisions of government. (see Project Paperclip)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

b) The earth is a globe, spinning 1000 MPH at the equator, while hurling around the sun.
Um, it wasn't NASA who came up with that. The round part is a couple of thousand years old, at least. The Sun part, about 500.

I choose to trust my senses, and not rely on what others that so obviously have an agenda try to tell me. To me, NASA stands for Nazis Are Still Active.

Okey dokey.
Enjoy your odd, ignorant, little (and flat) world.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
NASA has lied enough time that i will never be convinced that
a) Man has ever went into space.
c) that NASA is a reliable source of information.

Joseph Goebbels is quoted to have said

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”
For those that don't know, Goebbels was the Minister of Propaganda for the NAZI party, whose majority of scientists (over 1000) have been recruited by the US government to infiltrate the universities and aeronautics divisions of government. (see Project Paperclip)

Wow. Tell us more of your beliefs, I'm intrigued.
Do you believe the sun is a star? Do you believe in stars? Is the Moon also flat? Where did the moon come from? Was it towed? I'm very curious what your beliefs are. Do you believe all the planets are flat, or just Earth? Is the entire solar system flat -- Even the Universe -- All flat? I'm trying to wrap my head around this, because I don't think I've ever actually *met* people before who seem to really believe the Earth is flat, so it sparks my curiosity.
edit on 9/5/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The following graphic would best describe what i believe the world to be like.

As for the planets?

The sun and moon are just lights for us to see by, placed on the fourth day of creation for us to know the seasons and the times.
What we call stars are the Angels of Yahuwah.
the Solar System/universe are vain imaginations, used today by corporations to suck money out of the populace by way of taxes to fund black ops.
Is the moon flat? I don't know. What i do know about the moon is that it does not reflect the light of the sun, but has it's own light.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

"This is nothing more, than an aeoplane."

Enjoy your odd little world. But what the heck are doing using a computer? On the internet?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
the world is a wonderful place to be. It has just been mucked up by generations of selfish men.
I am using a computer, on the internet, utilizing the tools available to me.

I may be a 'Flat Earther creationist, but i am not a luddite.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I see.
So you cherry pick the science you wish to acknowledge.

Tell me, do you know how a transistor works? Can you see the quantum effects at play within? Or is it demons in there?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Straw man reply, phage. you know better.

The study of micro electronics has nothing to do with whether or not the Earth is flat.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The study of micro electronics has nothing to do with whether or not the Earth is flat.

As I said, you cherry pick.
A requirement of maintaining your ignorant little world view.

You can't see the quantum effects. You can't see the world is round.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DenyObfuscation
The explanation is unsatisfactory.
The Earth is, indeed, flat. It's obvious, why is it that recently, so many have the need to convince us of that?

answer is quite simple really, it's part of Donald Trump's mind bending election campaign, like believe in me and you can believe in anything like my Christian values on marriage three time over, and other 'wall building 'truisms' like menstruation is bad for you, and me and us...

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

As I said, you cherry pick.
A requirement of maintaining your ignorant little world view.

Yes i cherry pick. i see which cherries are foul, and which ones are good, and choose accordingly.
I do not ever believe what someone tells me just because they might have a bunch of letters after their name on a signature. That is one of the wonderful things about this internet, and having a plethora of tools available that allows me to test what i am told as to whether or not it is true. If it is true, i keep it. if false, i toss it. simple really.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

If it is true, i keep it. if false, i toss it.

And you are of course, the ultimate arbiter.
Enjoy your flat little world and your tiny little universe.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

You can't see the world is round
But i can test it.

Water will always level out. It is over 2500 miles from Los Angeles to Hawaii. If the earth was a globe, there would be a 'hump' of water that is over 500 miles high between the two locations.
i just don't see it happening.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I am using a computer, on the internet, utilizing the tools available to me.

Have you ever heard of anyone in the Northern hemisphere not finding the altitude of Polaris matching the latitude of their location?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
No, i have not come across that information.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Water will always level out.

In a swimming pool maybe. Across an ocean, not so much. But that's just a picky point.

If the earth was a globe, there would be a 'hump' of water that is over 500 miles high between the two locations.
Why? If gravity keeps water "level" then gravity will keep the water level the same across the globe.

Or don't you believe in gravity either?

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Gravity is not-existant, straw man answer for scientists that don't know.

There is no gravity, only density, and magnetic attraction/repulsion.

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
dp
edit on 20152015-09-05T21:46:49-05:002015-09-05T21:46:49-05:00Sat, 05 Sep 2015 21:46:49 -0500America/Chicago4930 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There is no gravity, only density, and magnetic attraction/repulsion.

Huh, let me know when I can start falling up then, 'kay?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join